Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played a 4-players game of Tinners' Trail and this is what happened...

In round one, after all of us had built a mine, extracted minerals and taken all the developments, one player passed. The rest of players didn't pass but sold pies to earn some cash until exhausting all their available time. We thought that was a handicap for the first player that passed, at least doing it so early (there were still around 4-5 timeframes, I think).

I can understand the benefits of being the first player to pass as to prospect minerals and to be first in the next round, but the drawback of letting the rest of players to earn money selling pies (for example) seems too much for me.

So my question is: is it worth to be the first player to pass early? Or is the amount of money earned selling pies not really worth compaired to be 1st player next round/prospecting?

As in every game, I guess it will depend on the situation, but since I'm a beginner on this game, I'd like to hear some comments about how much is worth those pies compaired to being the 1st player on next round.

Many thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you quite rightly surmise, it depends on the situation. But being first in a subsequent round can be very improtant in Tinners' Trail.

Each turn, a limited number of actions of each type become available; so if you want that harbour, train or (most likely) adit before anybody else, you're not going to want to risk not getting it for the returns on a few pasties.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually the large stacks of steam pumps are the most valuable commodity, the addits are highly situational but can also be quite good. It's frequently worth it to jump out as soon as you can after fully mining, more so in the 3 player game as it immediately creates tension between the remaining two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your answers!

I recently found out that I was playing wrong: I was not taking all the pumps with one action, which changes things a bit cry

So as Seth mentions, taking 2 or 3 pumps can be a good reason to be the first player that round.

EDIT: 2 or 3 pumps, not 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius wrote:

So as Seth mentions, taking 3 or 4 pumps can be a good reason to be the first player that round.

A couple of years late, but, uh, how can you get 4 pumps with 1 action, am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
cartesius wrote:

So as Seth mentions, taking 3 or 4 pumps can be a good reason to be the first player that round.

A couple of years late, but, uh, how can you get 4 pumps with 1 action, am I missing something?

Sorry, it's a mistake. The maximum you can get is 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.