Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cross-posted with my site, http://www.littlewoodencubes.com. It's here mainly so I can link it in my GeekList.

So when I wasn't looking, it seems that six weeks or so have gone by since I last updated. Fear not, UFBRT-eers!

OK, that's kind of a lie. You probably should fear a little.

The UFBRT was a product of way too much free time at work and nobody to talk to about board gaming. The problem is that I've taken a new job which eats up a good chunk of the time that I used to spend trying to look busy. That's not really the case anymore. Combine that with the disappearance of regular gaming nights with my friends, this leaves me in a spot where I have really little time to review games that I'm not actually playing. I don't want to do that, and I'm sure you don't want to see that.

So while I'm not really willing to say the words that signal the end of the Untitled Flash-Based Review Thing, I am willing to say that until one of the above conditions is heavily modified then I just don't have what's required to create worthwhile material anymore these days. And that sucks.

But, if I never get a chance to make another video again, I think 30+ videos and 812 subscribers in about a year is a pretty decent run. You've all made it totally worth the effort, and I sincerely thank you all for following along.

Party on.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you can still find an outlet for your creativity, and if you do, that you might be able to share that outlet with us. Personally, while I enjoyed the subject matter of the videos and learning about the games themselves, it was more the sense of humor and personality from them that I enjoyed.

Whatever the end result, thanks for your efforts and for sharing them with us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest cure is to GAME MORE! (find a group!)

Win for you
Win for us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable, but it still stinks.

With no false humility here, your work made mine look like I threw monkey poo at a wall.

I hope you are able to get back on the horse and do some more sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you lose your job devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheGreatGomi wrote:
I hope you lose your job devil

I can see some awfully pessimistic reviews coming out of that.

"In this worker placement game, you... you know what?! How hard is it to place THIS worker?! You know why there's a love hut? Because that cave man feels secure that he has food on the table. Otherwise, why bother having a love hut?! Stupid cavemen. All they had to do was mine for gold, hunt, and farm. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved your reviews. I already knew most of the games but just watched your reviews for entertainment. They'll be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed every one of your reviews Paul. They're informative, quick, and of course extremely humourous. I do find your BGG image a little freaky though
So tell me? who is this crazy guy who can't stand you?
Any ways, you can't squeeze everything in in life. So choose to do what makes you happy. Of course, work can be an exception to that rule.
All the best.
wiz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
You had the very best video reviews on BGG, bar none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be a happy day when you do find some time for another review - because they're fabulous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

Had? Still does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok, what's really being said here:

1.) I need some people to do flash for me.
2.) I need some gamers
3.) If I could get paid for this, that would be great.

(Bippi strokes his invisible beard... and ponders how to make this happen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
your work made mine look like I threw monkey poo at a wall.

I bet that would get a lot of views, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooooooo! I liked those videos for they were creative and really funny ,but nothing last forever. Well maybe Tupperware, but I digress.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, that's a bummer. Your reviews were always my favorites, and were directly responsible for several purchases for me.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Had? Still does.

You know what I mean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big tear stain on my laptop screen. Your videos will be sorely missed here in Kentucky. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
With no false humility here, your work made mine look like I threw monkey poo at a wall.

Lance, your videos aren't as shiny as Paul's (or Scott's or Tom's), but you're tops in content. A review should tell me why I want to play a game, and that's what yours do (even though I don't want to play most of them).

Paul, when you come back to video reviewing, decide whether you are teaching rules or selling (or anti-selling) a game. It you are selling the game, tell me why I want to play it, and stop with som much detail over rules. If you are teaching the game, please commit to getting the rules right, and when they are wrong making them right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I sincerely hope that you find the time to do more videos. I think that you have an exceptional talent for getting to the point and being genuinely funny at the same time.

Thanks for all the ones that you've given us so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes....though I can completely understand the time commitment aspect of doing these Reviews. I've slowed down considerably as well, but only b/c of the Holidays and the dozens of commitments that are made during them...not to mention the huge influx of bad luck I've had with health issues in my family....it seems like everyone has been struck with something life threatening in the past 3 weeks.

Anyways, thanks for the loads of inspiration you have provided throughout the past year plus. Hope to see you back soon !!

Jeremy D. Salinas
Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Series in HD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be missed man. Your videos played a big part in getting me hooked to the hobby, and for that I thank you.

On another note, I do think you have some actual talent man. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Suggest you find another output. Hope to see your material soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
ldsdbomber wrote:
I don't know, Pauls reviews of Caylus, Le Havre, Pillars (in particular) were awesome in getting across a feel of the game, and a rules overview in a way I found absolutely perfect, I think he found a real sweetspot inbetween a rules analysis and a game shill/slate.

I couldn't agree more. I showed the Caylus video to some friends and not only did it do a great job of explaining how the game was played, it also got them interested in a game that they would have otherwise been reluctant to try.

Thanks for all your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Paul, when you come back to video reviewing, decide whether you are teaching rules or selling (or anti-selling) a game. It you are selling the game, tell me why I want to play it, and stop with som much detail over rules. If you are teaching the game, please commit to getting the rules right, and when they are wrong making them right.

We keep having this same discussion. I would love to do more than stick annotations in my videos when something's not right, but then I'd have to delete the original video and replace it - which resets the view count and breaks all of my links. Call me vain, but I'd rather not throw away 4800 views because I said that gold tiles are worth two points instead of three. So I guess it's still crap. Deal with it.

As for telling you if you should buy a game or not, it seems like what I do does a pretty good job of helping people make that decision. I show how the game plays and then I give my thoughts. I don't see how my videos do anything differently than Scott's old format or Tom's. Cut me some slack, brah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The videos are perfect for what they are, the give a good overview of the rules and game play, I'll make the decision for myself whether I'll buy it or not. I like your format sir, don't change a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UvulaBob wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:

We keep having this same discussion. I would love to do more than stick annotations in my videos when something's not right, but then I'd have to delete the original video and replace it - which resets the view count and breaks all of my links. Call me vain, but I'd rather not throw away 4800 views because I said that gold tiles are worth two points instead of three. So I guess it's still crap. Deal with it.

As for telling you if you should buy a game or not, it seems like what I do does a pretty good job of helping people make that decision. I show how the game plays and then I give my thoughts. I don't see how my videos do anything differently than Scott's old format or Tom's. Cut me some slack, brah!

Gah - sorry I got this ball rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.