Subject: Need Help with Final Decision (Horror Theme) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Hobbs
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been trolling these forums for about a year now and they have lead me into a world I never imagined me being in. I play and own some of the staples (Agricola, Memoir '44, Tobago, and Dominion).

I have been recently been looking into games with a stronger theme and the wife and I are excited about the horror theme. We don't have the ability to sample the games but we downloaded some directions and watched some gameplay online and are extremely interested in A Touch of Evil, Last Night on Earth, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Here is what we are looking for in a game.

Theme: Horror
Gameplay: 2 hours MAX
Mode: Co-op and Competitive (the flexibility to play against or as a team is exiting)
Game Size: 2-4 players (must play well with 2 because that will be
majority playing time)

** We like the whole hunting, avoid, finding clue based game idea but don't want a game where someone flat out dies and leaves the game

**We prefer a game type where you play a card and then it is discarded because always forget to play cards that are active the whole game (e.g. having like 4+ minor improvements to track in Agricola)

**Also one thing we don't want to have is one person playing the villians while the others are the heros. We would like a game where we are all heros and the villian moves through game mechanics.

Which game do you guys thing most fits our preferences or is there more information you may need. It can be one i didn't list.

- Thanks in advance,
Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game is awesome, and fits all of your requirements, with the exception of competitive play, which is possible but very weak, in my opinion. Thats what we have Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game for!

With both of these games you have everything you want, and they are both awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hobbs
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is what I was figuring too. I was so excited by reading the directions and watching game-plays but it seems to be consistently reviewed in the mid to low 6's by people who play it. Does it have to do with the fact that everyone compares it to the depth of Arkham Horror? or is there something else missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have LNoE and AToE, I prefer LNoE but haven't really player the other that much.

I think betrayal at house on the hill is for 3+ player.

Arkham is great but loads of rules, still one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, "no villan vs. players" leaves me completely without suggestions I don't know any games that have an AI villain or everybody playing the enemies that isn't also not as good as those who do have a dedicated villain player...

If you can consider dropping the "no villain" requirement, Fury of Dracula (second edition) and Doom: The Boardgame are good, and indeed Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game.

Arkham Horror might fit you, too, but it's probably quite a bit longer than what you're looking for. No villain player here though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hobbs
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
to be honest we originally where 100% sold on Witch of Salem until we heard about the "not being able to share portal knowledge" device. We where so excited about it but then just where so mad that such a stupid device would be implemented into a co-op game. So maybe it would be easier if you all can find suggest which is most like Salem minus the bogus rules (remember no Arkham Horror).

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil does seem to have somewhat fiddley co-op rules, but my own gaming group has yet to play a game of it where it didn't turn from competitive to cooperative by the end just because we were so close to losing the game at the end that people started helping each other just to keep the villain from winning.

It does have *some* cards that remain in play constantly, but they're not cards that players have a lot of *choice* in playing (most are in the Mystery deck, which is almost entirely Very Bad Things).

Personally, I think it's one of the best games I've been introduced to in the last year, and the simple fact that there's a lot of counters it came with that don't have any specific use in the game (and thus are most likely to be used for house rules and original villain mechanics) gives it some freedom I've not seen in many games.

That said, do take my response with the appropriate grain of salt, as I don't have a lot of experience with games of this type, *outside* of A Touch of Evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Sadly, all of the games you list I'm familiar with (LNoE and BaHotH) are '1 vs. many' types - 1 player against the rest. BETRAYAL starts out coop, but eventually one player will go against the others, though there's a random mechanic to determine which one that is so it's different every time, it will always turn out that way sooner or later. LNoE starts with 1-2 Zombie players vs everyone else.

ARKHAM HORROR is the only boardgame I know of where the game itself it the villain, but that for sure will NOT fit your preferred play time, it can take as long as twice that or more (4 hours +).

It sounds like AtoE is the one for you, but I'm not familiar with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.