BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for advice . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Felt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My family has gotten into board gaming only within the last year or two. There is my wife, myself, and three children (ages 15, 11 and 8). We don't all play all the time so it's okay if some games are a little too challenging for the younger ones. After all, they will get older with time and if the game is a good one, it will be good when they are ready for it.

Here is what we have, with some comments:

Carcassone. Everybody enjoys this game. Wife and I have the iphone app as well and play it non-stop.

Settlers of Catan. This was our first game and we enjoy it still.

Dominion and the first expansion. My 11 year old really loves this game. He loves the cut-throat cards that came in the second set. Loves to steal and wreck the rest of us. We all enjoy this game, too.

Ticket to Ride. Fun game. It's the one we play when we want to get the youngest to play. He doesn't really have a strategy, but has a great time connecting his routes.

Lost Cities. My wife loves this game. She beats me all the time. It frustrates me some because I feel like the luck element is more pronounced than in the other games. I like that it's a good 2 player game and it plays quickly, though.

Masons. We haven't had this one very long and have only played with 2 players (wife and I). I think I like it more than my wife on our first few plays, but I think we need to play it a few more times and add a 3rd or 4th player to test how it plays in these configurations.

So, that's what we have. We have liked all of them and play each of them. For Christmas, I'd like to add a few more. I am going to purchase "Small World". I have been intrigued by the reviews and have gotten a thumbs up from a friend on this game. I'd like to get another game that plays for two players. Reading on the forums here, I was leaning toward Jambo, but will be glad to hear other suggestions. I'd like to get one more game. As you can see, we are still in the gateway game level of things and given the age of the kids and our relative lack of experience we may not be ready to tackle anything too much more complicated or time consuming than those. What games seem like a good match for us?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to diversify a bit, I would recommend Pandemic, as you don't have a co-op game yet. Great game, and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koenig
United States
Weston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two player game I would recommend:

Blokus Duo (maybe even Blokus as a 4-person family game)
Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be able to interest the older two in Memoir '44, if they would be into a conflict game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to board games - fun for all the family meeple.

I have found most of the Days of Wonder games to be good and easy to grasp. Small World is one I would recommend but also Pirates Cove and Mystery of the Abbey.

Others we enjoy are Kingsburg, Stone Age or any in the Key series. I would also agree with Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Colosseum - up to five players, beautifully produced, and has a little bit of auction, little bit of trading...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dominion: Prosperity is a good expansion to add. Because it has some new dimesions but is not as difficult as say Alchemy. 2+ players

Citadels - Great 5+ player game for when you have the whole crew or company.

Tigris & Euphrates - Since you like Carracassone this is a fun tile placement game. 3-4

Race for the Galaxy - Most who like Dominion also like this, different mechanic nice change of pace. One caution the game depends a lot on symbols on the cards and that may take the younger ones a bit to learn. best 3-5.

Vegas Showdown - fun game, not too hard, combines a bit of planning with money management. 3-5

Boomtown Nice auction mechanic, fun game for 4-5

Just all out fun - Ca$h 'n Gun$, Mall of Horror, Galaxy Trucker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottfelt wrote:
Lost Cities. My wife loves this game. She beats me all the time. It frustrates me some because I feel like the luck element is more pronounced than in the other games. I like that it's a good 2 player game and it plays quickly, though.

Give your wife credit for this one. If the game is luck, you will win an equal number over time. If she wins more than her share, she's making better decisions. (Risk management is subtle, and many husbands complain that their wives beat them at Lost Cities.)

scottfelt wrote:
I'd like to get another game that plays for two players. Reading on the forums here, I was leaning toward Jambo, but will be glad to hear other suggestions.

Jambo is a good choice. For quick playing but satisfying two-player games, I'd suggest you also look at Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation and Mr. Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre Mare
Infinite City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Jaipur, as it's a great couples game but should also be kid-accessible (nice for parent vs. kid or kid vs. kid).

If I had kids around the house, I would probably own everything in the 10 Days in... family. Geography was never this much fun.

I would definitely pick Forbidden Island for you over Pandemic. Forbidden Island has a way more fun theme, is a bit simpler (good for kids) yet still works for adults, and is less expensive. It is surprisingly immersive, as you watch the island sink before your eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Pandemic and Vegas Showdown as good options.

I also highly recommend Oregon as a great simple family game. Has nice meeples and tiles like Carcassonne, but less luck, plays great from 2-4 people, and is easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Jaipur
Archaeology: The Card Game
San Juan
Forbidden Island

Your 11 year old may like Glory to Rome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Felt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks so far for all the suggestions and advice. I've been looking up each game and reading about it to see which one more to buy. Of course, so many of these look fun and fascinating that it's tempting to buy more and more.

I haven't made a decision yet so I welcome more feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.