Popular Tags: [View All]
Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of numbers on the cards, and it occurred to me right away that ISRU ratings could have been represented graphically rather than with a number.

Basically you would show a number of red water drops - when prospecting or refueling, each red water drop deducts one from the site's water rating. If there are any drops left, you can refuel that many tanks, and you are allowed to prospect. If there are none left then you don't get to do either action. A robonaut with an ISRU of 4 would show 3 red drops. A robonaut with an ISRU of one would not show any drops, and a robonaut with an ISRU of zero would show a blue drop, to indicate that it adds one water to the site, and thus can prospect anywhere and refuel one point even at waterless sites.

I think this would be more intuitive than the way it is done now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is a slightly bigger box.

If you print out the living rules (using ordinary letter size paper), you find it won't fit in the box. May be it should even be a bit deeper too as it just barely fits the expansion in there, so adding the living rules or notes is probably too deep for the box too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
I'd like to see the second edition use different components, or use the existing components in new ways, to make the game board more visible during play. Currently the claim disks cover the site hexes and obscure their size, spectral type and hydration values. The players must continually move the claim disks aside to see these values during play. Here are a couple of suggestions to use components to make the site data more visible:

Option 1: Keep the existing components but reverse the usage of player discs and player cubes. Place a cube when claiming a site or creating an outpost, and place a disk for Glory VPs, Venture VPs, factories, colonies and freighters. Also replace the black disks with black cubes for unclaimable sites. Cubes can easily be positioned atop the site name leaving the size, spectral type and hydration values exposed. These values will still be obscured with factories, but there are always less factories than claims on the board. One downside to this option is moving a freighter disk is kinda clunky.

Option 2: Replace claim disks with the flagpoles used as army figures in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, in the five player colors and black. Continue to use cubes for VPs, factories, etc. The flagpoles can easily be positioned on site names such that the site size, spectral type and hydration values are all visible. And they are somewhat reminiscent of the actual flag planted on the moon in 1969.

And as an extra bonus for your loyal customers please toss in a couple more small bags so all the components for each faction can be stored in their own bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Another suggestion for the second edition: eliminate the 1/4 inch of map missing between the basic game board and the expansion board, so the routes connect correctly when the boards are flush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind clear claim disks, or just smaller disks. Not sure I want something that stands on end though. I like the simplicity and elegance of flat disks for claims. Just wish they were smaller, or at least clear.

My top two suggestions are something I have already done:

1. don't use the claim disks for outposts (they are way too big for that). Add a new token that is much smaller for the outposts.
2. don't use the victory cubes for freighters. seems no gameplay reason for forcing players to use a victory cube for a freighter. an alternate token for that would be nice too.

I've already solved both those problem though with some components of my own:

I would also like the map to be more flush but that is a minor annoyance for me.

I would much prefer removing the reactor/generator/radiator spots from the map in a future printing first. Seems no reason for them to be on the main board, and they clutter up the map around saturn unnecessarily. Game tokens in that corner are constantly being bumped and moved around inadvertently when reaching for those advanced game cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.