GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Must haves for CDG wargamers?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by that other thread......

What would you consider to be must haves for CDG wargamers?

And what would you say "Don't waste your time with that CDG wargame" ?

I'll add an additional question:

And what CDGs are you most looking forward to their release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
Here's a vote for Unhappy King Charles! as an amazing CDG. I'm also very impressed with Hearts and Minds.

Naturally, no CDG collection is complete without Twilight Struggle.

And if you can get it to the table, Here I Stand.

I'm not super sold on Hellenes, but I'm beginning to think it's not the game but rather the whole Peloponnesian war that I'm not all that excited about.

I'm really looking forward to Crusade & Revolution, the MMP game on the Spanish Civil War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the obvious opponent (If I knew how I would put the I enjoy the repetition microbadge here)

Twilight Struggle - The best (if considered as wargame)
Paths of Glory - Lots of tension and easy rules if you forget that it has "some" exceptions (that rarely occur).
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage - Simple and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh so many choices!

Fortunatlly there are many great games with different feels. It's best to pick the ones that will get played--ones that fit the group you're in or that fit a common interest with a friend.

The classic must haves are:
Washington's War
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Twilight Struggle (I know we could argue about this one all day, but it's worth mention)

There are many great multiplayer CDG I could think of here, but especially with these games I think the "must have" is the game that works with your group:

For wild fun, sprawling ahistorical results that thrill and enthrall for hours. The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition)

For the manipulative players who appreciate a complex design with many moving parts and are able to diplomatically negotiate the gear box this game creates. Here I Stand

For those who love the thrill of combat and chance for clever, sudden victories. Successors (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Must Have
Paths of Glory
Twilight Struggle

I also think Triumph of Chaos, but it will be a bit much for a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and if you can find 5 other guys to play with, don't miss Here I Stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:

I also think Triumph of Chaos, but it will be a bit much for a lot of people.

A HUGE thumbsup for the game. I don't consider it a must have, but definitely a nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

I'm really looking forward to Crusade & Revolution, the MMP game on the Spanish Civil War

This is also one the games I'm looking forward. This and Sturm Europa! as a mix as CDG and Block game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly new to the CDGs myself. I think my first game of Twilight Struggle was about a year and a half ago and then I was hooked. I love TS as well as Hannibal and Wilderness War. I think each of those games provides excellent gameplay with a strong historical narrative that is aided by the mechanics.

I have also played Here I Stand, Sword of Rome, Unhappy King Charles, and Washington's War, all of which I enjoyed. I haven't played them enough to say much, other than first impressions were very positive. I'm also interested in learning Paths of Glory, Labyrinth, and Successors.

I guess my answer then is that it's hard to really pin down any few. I really like what the card driven format can do for historical games. If anyone's interested in playing a CDG sometime on Wargameroom, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm generally playing with 4 or more people, I have to say the best multi-player CDG's (and my two favorites overall) are:

Successors (third edition) (3rd edition is the best)
Sword of Rome (Especially good with 5th player expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more votes for Twilight Struggle and Paths of Glory.

For the People and We the People are nice choices.

I am not a big fan of Barb to Berlin.

Shifting Sands grows on me each time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
brainst0rm wrote:
... and if you can find 5 other guys to play with, don't miss Here I Stand.

I don't know. The simple fact that this is the one CDG I can unabashedly
claim to like probably speaks against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also give a thumbsup for Hannibal, Washington's War, and Twilight Struggle.

I would also add Hearts and Minds. I think it is an excellent, easy to play CDG of the Vietnam War. Plus, it has victory conditions for every year of the war so you can start and stop where ever you want which gives incredible flexibility and replayability, IMO.

I just purchased Unhappy King Charles so I'll have to weigh in on that at a later date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Combat Commander: Europe covers the Second World War
2. Twilight Struggle covers the Cold War
3. Wilderness War covers the 7 years War for Canada
4. Paths of Glory covers the First World War
5. Washington's War covers the War for the Independence

All of these game are not only very good, but you will also learn on Wars that had a major impact on our present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
Wilderness War, is, IMO, the best of the CDG's for what it is.

Just outstanding, really.

Agreed, fantastic game!

If I could only have one, this would be it, no question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those wanting low-medium complexity CDGs that play in an evening, I'd suggest that Wilderness Wars is THE must have wargame, closely followed by Twilight Struggle or Washington's War.

Wilderness War is operational, unlike most other CDGs, and relies a lot on bluff, risk and tactical flexibility.

Twilight Struggle is a must have, as it is the best area influence game out there and again enjoys a lot of bluffing and risk.

For a quick playing, rather chaotic multi-player, Wellington does it for me - I don't like down time, and I like to finish wargames within three hours, so this is perfect. Most other CDG fans probably wouldn't agree, but it can easily be finished in one evening - just don't take it too seriously, or the response cards will make you flip the board.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is still very popular, but personally it doesn't get a lot of play with me. The combat card system sucks up too much time and is a little tedious (though it works well) - so not quite a "must have" for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give a pass to Washington's War. It's turned out to be too much a matter of taste for it to be considered a must-have.

The only three which I would truly consider essential are Paths of Glory, Twilight Struggle, and Here I Stand.

Honorable mentions (very high honor) go to Wilderness War, For the People, Unhappy King Charles.

Empire of the Sun and Clash of Monarchs are both personal favorites, but it seems many can't wrap their heads around them, for some reason. So I unfortunately have to axe them along with WashWar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:

Twilight Struggle - The best (if considered as wargame)
Paths of Glory - Lots of tension and easy rules if you forget that it has "some" exceptions (that rarely occur).
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage - Simple and fun.

This would be my three as well. All fantastic IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Empire of the Sun
2) POG
3) Triumph of Chaos

Looking to learn Clash of Monarchs ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Inspired by that other thread......

What would you consider to be must haves for CDG wargamers?

And what would you say "Don't waste your time with that CDG wargame" ?

I'll add an additional question:

And what CDGs are you most looking forward to their release?

I would suggest you go to this comprehensive list:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53703/cdgs-a-comprehensive...

and find an area of interest that suits you. See if the comments are favorable (just about every game recommended has overall positive feedback), and see if the complexity is suited for you.

If you like American Revolution, then go for Washington's War.
If you like the French and Indian War, then go for Wilderness War.
If you like Roman theme, go for Hannibal,
If you are interested in Vietnam, go for Hearts and Minds.
If you are interested in the English Civil War, go for Unhappy King Charles,
etc. etc.

If you ask me, I rate them this way:
#1) Washington's War - but I love gaming the American Revolution the most, and this the high level game that "gets it."
#2) Hearts and Minds - I find Vietnam interesting, but I really like the low complexity level, and the way you can make the game as long or as short as you like, and the way they capture a political struggle with the military being a means to this end (in other words, it is much of what I love about Washington's War).
#3) World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin - I enjoy WWII and this game often goes down to the last turn to determine the winner.
#4) Wilderness War: Really captures the French and Indian War nicely.
#5) Twilight Struggle: Light but clever concept.

With that said, I think I might be getting Paths of Glory for Christmas, which I'm betting is better than Barbarossa to Berlin and I have not learned Shifting Sands, which I think will be an excellent game. Hannibal and Unlucky King Charles are on my radar for future purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We the People, (or WaWa if you must)
Hannibal
Paths of Glory
Successors
Here I Stand
Age of Napoleon
For the People

EDIT: With a vote against Twilight Struggle

And an upcoming maybe for Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Petrini
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Player:
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Washington's War
Wilderness War
Paths of Glory

For multiplayer:
Here I Stand
The Napoleonic Wars
Successors (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really should try wilderness war. I ear only good things about it and this thread confirms it, but don't know why, it seems that I'm unable to do it.

Maybe its the theme that doesn't interests me. I had it setup on my table for more than 2 months and after all that time I just put it (untouched) again on the box.

The same thing happened with Empire of the Sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to give an other vote to Sword of Rome.

Multi-player
very important political system (between player, not nescessary via cards) and very elegant play.

Must-have..maybe, but a definite Want-have.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some really great comments on must haves--I'll add my votes for Paths of Glory, Wilderness War, and Washington's War. My three favorites.

You also asked what you can skip. That's obviously much harder, but I think it depends on your gaming group. If you generally play two player, you might skip Sword of Rome, which doesn't have the following of other games mentioned here. Likewise with Successors and Napoleonic Wars--I've heard good things about these but they seem hard to find and, again, multiplayer.

And I hate to be the voice of dissension but I wasn't that happy with Here I Stand. Very thematic but I thought it had too much downtime, obviously this is one facet of playing with more players. I guess I just prefer 2 player CDGs, though your mileage may vary.

If you're open to a CDG that doesn't involve war, a quick plug for 1960: The Making of a President. An excellent game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.