Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not explain clearly the fuction of a port ,and the reason and value of building one;can anyone clear this up for me.Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Harmon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sguard wrote:
The rules do not explain clearly the fuction of a port ,and the reason and value of building one;can anyone clear this up for me.Thanks

You can not build ships unless you have a port or city. The port is cheaper, so you can build ships sooner in your colonies (as long as they border water). Ports also protect your ships from being destroyed by the pirates. However, if you sail ships out of ports, then they are vulnerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick H
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Technically you can't build ANYTHING without a port. That is one rule I misinterpreted in the game.

You accumulate wealth, which must be ferried to a port.

Then, you may buy armies and navies in the country that port inhabits.

OR you can place forts, cities, or ports in any country which you control.

Gonna have to reread the rules. I don't believe you can build anything with cities, they give you victory points and enhance the wealth number of a territory by one.

(This applies to the first edition of the game, the second edition is significantly different. It should have it's own page.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.