Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I sat down, got the pieces out, skimmed the rules. Starting playing the Solitaire version. Put that away after one turn. snore I didn't like the whole flow chart thing. So I decided to play the two player version of the game solitaire. Much better, much more fun. Can't wait to play with a real person.

So I sit there looking at my options. My eyes glaze over. What am I supposed to be doing here? I kind of understand the victory conditions, and kind of understand my options, I just didn't see how to turn the options into a cohesive plan for victory. I had the same feeling when I played my first two games of Wilderness War. Coincidence? Maybe?

Elections came up first time around. Before the US put the smackdown on Afghanistan we (the US) became fluffy. I have a soft spot for the fluffy approach to terrorism myself. It kind of grew out of my 1930's style isolationist philosophy. So I stuck with it. With the US splashing around in the deep water trying to come up with a strategy, we finally stumbled upon the War of Ideas to make good government happen.

Meanwhile the militants had toppled the government of Somalia. I could see Iraq was next. They were an adversary with a poor government so no War of Ideas there. The soft fluffy approach wouldn’t invade a country like Iraq even though the previous administration had "detailed knowledge" of WMD in Iraq. What to do? So my left hand impeded the flow of cells into Iraq as best it could, while my right hand made it a top priority to get more cells into Iraq.

Iraq’s government collapsed after some heavy fighting. One resource shy of a militant victory. Oil prices spike! That’s it, that’s game. All is lost. Wait, not yet. There is a small detail of adjacency. Somalia, Afghanistan, and Iraq are all separated by a bit of space. My right hand really wants a good power base. Syria is a poor government with an adversarial attitude towards the US.

I was really hesitant to give up the fluffy approach even in the face of certain defeat. Plus it costs a lot of cards. The Islamic militants sure weren’t going to use a card to harden the US posture at this point, though they had one. Anyway Syria falls and the dawn of the new era of Islamic fundamentalism is upon us. Great, game, I just set it up and am going for round two. No more soft and fluffy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, check out the "Guide to Operations" in the Playbook. It's a great breakdown for beginners on what operations to use to accomplish the goals you have in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opponent and I agreed not to use that for the first game. wow We are using it for the second game though and find it very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark! Thanks for the great AAR! I tend to play CDGs solitaire the way that you do--play both sides. I just pick up one hand, play, put it down, pick up the other.... I find that I pretty much forget right away what was in the other hand. Glad the game worked for you! Best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one instance where having a bad memory is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.