Popular Tags: [View All]
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Misfits – aka They Never had a Chance

With leaders like these was the result a surprise? One uptight drunk, a delusional egotist and an antagonistic child!

Admiral – Saul Tigh
President – Gaius Baltar
CAG – Kara Thrace

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Things seemed to be going very well; the command team expertly led the rag tag band of ships through a number of crises. During lengthy meetings there was some concern over the speed that the food was reducing, but all were confident that with the support of the people and rationing Kobold and Earth could be found.

Things were still going well for the fleet even after the first few jumps. The president did cast some disparaging remarks about the upstanding admiral, in light of the fairly low jump distances achieved and one gamble during a crisis where the admiral put some civvy ships at risk.

It appeared clear to the admiral that they had gotten away from the main Cylon threat and most of all that there appeared to be no Cylon infiltrators on board. Nonetheless the president would just not shut up about the admiral being a Cylon sympathiser, possibly even an actual Cylon himself. The admiral rebuked the comments, noting how well the fleet was progressing.

++++++

Then came Kobold and everything changed! The admiral felt a change come over him, as if he had awoken from a deep, prolonged slumber, still he kept this to himself. Then the opportunity arrived; he was gathering his forces around him to declare ‘Martial Law’, but before he could the president committed a faux pas and the admiral was able to ‘Request Resignation’ of the president. Ever the coward, Gaius gladly gave up the title of president rather than face time in the brig and the admiral duly accepted the title of president as well. The admiral quickly turned his focus to briging the civilian Gaius and thanks to his ‘Cylon Hatred’ convinced the powers that be that Gaius was indeed a traitor. The CAG was convinced of Gaius’ duplicity thanks to all his earlier ranting and ravings regarding the upstanding admiral, still there was an unstable relationship between the admiral/ president and his CAG, due to her ‘Insubordination’.

Before she knew it Kara was up against a court martial for her behaviour and briged alongside the former president. Things suddenly went bad; numerous attacks and sabotage events occurred across the fleet and resources started to run out. Despite this the two disgraced characters in the brig could not secure their release, the admiral/ president just had too much power. Eventually a series of calamities enabled the briged pair to escape captivity, and to the fleet’s surprise the admiral/ president vanished. Rumours were rife that he was a Cylon and morale reduced even further.

With Gaius returned to the presidency and newly promoted Kara Thrace as admiral, there was a glimmer of hope, but this was soon snuffed out as the Cylon attacks intensified, almost as if a higher force was controlling events from afar. The fleet’s resources were all but gone and eventually the human race ripped itself apart as ‘Morale was reduced to zero.’

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was the in character report. Out of character this is what happened:

We had a really great game, especially for me playing Saul Tigh as Admiral. I remember warning my mate Dave as he picked Kara that her negative ability could be a real game turner, especially as I had already chosen Saul Tigh. Haha – how prophetic!

I didn’t pick up the ‘You are a Cylon’ card until the sleeper phase, and had guessed (correctly) that no-one else had. My partner, Emma was playing Gaius and seemed to take the whole paranoid character flaw a bit too far, as Dave (playing Kara) admitted that when I tried to brig Gaius, his main driver in supporting me (and I was a Cylon by then!) was all the ranting and raving earlier in the game. He figured that Gaius, especially with two Loyalty Cards, was trying misdirection. Interestingly despite Saul Tigh’s special ability (reducing the brig difficultly skill check by 3) I probably wouldn’t have managed to brig Gaius without Kara's help.

Once Gaius was in the brig and Saul was the “Admiral/ President” briging Kara was easy. Her negative ability subtracted 3 from the skill check and Saul’s special ability made it 3 easier: I needed a 1 on the skill check – a very bad combo for the humans!

Once I had the run of the ship to myself it was easy to ensure that every crises went as bad as possible for the humans and by the time that Kara and Gaius managed to get out it was all but over.

+++++++++++

My advice here is don’t pick Saul Tigh and Kara Thrace in a 3-player game! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
How did they get out of the Brig?

Character selection is paramount in a 3-player game. I discussed this here.

Baltar should be banned in 3er. Apollo and Helo are wise choices in 3er. Starbuck... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst they could only add one card each to their attempts to get out of the Brig, I was facing two tests every round - obviously they were both trying to get out. Tigh's cards are not ideal to keeping people in the Brig (but ideal for getting people in laugh) Despite sitting on the Research Lab for the engineering card I was only getting 3 cards a round to keep them in and ultimately after a few rounds one of them got lucky with their card plus the destiny deck; it was then easy to get their comrade out; so Tigh cut-and-run!

That was the first 3-player we've played, we've always managed to round up 5 or 6 of us in the past, so the game play was new to us. I think I'll take a look at your post ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.