BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Your Most Underrated/Under-appreciated Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Tece

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any good trader will tell you that the search for value defines their success. What I like about the gaming community is that often the value cuts through the hype. A few days ago I read a thread about the rating of games on this site and it got me thinking: is there value buried in the rankings list of games? 'Value' in this sense doesn't have to do with money of course but some formula of quality + enjoyment.

All that to ask: what game do you think is underrated or under-appreciated that might get more exposure were it not for a few bad ratings of someone who didn't have a good playthrough, didn't give it another shot, or had a bad group experience?

Acceptable for this challenge: games below the 200 mark for overall ranking.

My contribution: Forbidden Island. It's a simple and fast co-op game. Perfect for getting the gaming feel going for the evening or getting a new gamer interested. The difficult level can be altered and the board and roles are different every time. Once more, its inexpensive!

One that intrigues me: Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner. It made Vassel's best game out of 100 in 2009 and I've heard a couple of other interesting things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Change this to a geeklist so people can add the game they are talking about instead of just a picture of it or info about it. More in likely to find any person to add an item than reply on a thread if it involves looking up an entry in the database. just an idea.

For me Bison and Augsburg 1520 are my two to place on this list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For one, this should be a geeklist.

For two, you're saying anything that isn't in the top 0.004% is underappreciated/underrated.

For three, you picked games that have each had tremendous hype, advertising impact and even awards bestowed upon them.

I'm not sure either of these games are underappreciated at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Why does this have to be a geek list? Honestly, give the guy a break along with the rest of your comments Paul DeStefano. Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A geeklist would be good.

I think an underrated game is Metropolys. It isn't ranked that low but I always appreciate the excellent bidding mechanics and guessing each other's pieces. It gets far more play time in my groups than other higher ranked games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few of my favorites that come no where near the top of the heap around here.

Mall World. I really like this game, but it's hard to visualize for a lot of people. But trust me there is some real good gaming in there.

Greentown. A game probably no one has ever heard of, but man what a brain burner. I think the small printing, and the cute artwork with such a deep game might have hurt it's chances for a wider audience.

Balam. The unknown king of all Amertrash. This game is wicked evil and tough, but it had next to no printing. But man how quickly you can lose friends playing this one.

Clash of the Gladiators. I have no clue why this Knizia gets no love. It's a riot to play.

Mecanisburgo. This is one that I seemed to love, but no one around me could grok. It is extremely fiddly, and the rules are a beast to learn at first. But if you play it a couple times, it really starts to shine.

Sunken City. Man did this game disappear into the annuls of time. Never found the love it deserved. Still a cool game.

Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!. Sadly, I think this one is hurt primarily because it's just so hard to find. But it's a great direct conflict game, with a cool theme.

I could go on for days and days for games under the 200 spot, but these above are the most unloved on my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tece

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Change this to a geeklist

How do I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limits - Great filler game that takes 20 seconds to teach and can play with a good number of people. I have just as much fun with this game than I do with dixit but it costs a tiny fraction of the price.

I have a couple of others that are rated low and I have rated fairly high, but I can understand why people dislike them so I have no problems with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tece

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
For one, this should be a geeklist.

For two, you're saying anything that isn't in the top 0.004% is underappreciated/underrated.

For three, you picked games that have each had tremendous hype, advertising impact and even awards bestowed upon them.

I'm not sure either of these games are underappreciated at all.

Wow, sorry to even suggest it then. I wouldn't qualify either game as having "tremendous hype" or "advertising impact". If Matt Leacock were to try and sell his next game I doubt he'd use the title "from the creator of Forbidden Island". I'm sure it would be "from the creator of Pandemic" because that game has advertising impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Red320319 wrote:
I doubt he'd use the title "from the creator of Forbidden Island". I'm sure it would be "from the creator of Pandemic" because that game has advertising impact.

Look at the target audience.

There's tons of copies of Forbidden Island in every Borders and Barnes and Nobles. It won Mensa Select, Creative Child Game Of The Year, FunFare Allstar, FamilyFun Toy Of The Year and Parent's Choice.

Pandemic won Best New Family Game in Games magazine.

Forbidden Island has far more press and a much wider audience. Pandemic is known within gamer circles only. There are moms shopping for Forbidden Island, and that's a demographic to be reckoned with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Games-I-Like-That-Are-Not-So-Well-Known:

(Because I can't handle any more beige board games with a scoring track around the edge.)

The Stars Are Right-- It's just different than the rest. A strong, satisfying puzzle-driven type game. Well engineered. Also... the theme is *so* scary, my pastor asked me not to play it at a church gathering. (Kewl!)

The Final Frontier: Man's Expansion into the Solar System-- Economics... politics... war... yes! And it all fits in a little metal box. The planets move. They move, I say! And at scientifically accurate rates. Players can coexist in a Mexican standoff for several turns until someone cracks. A great, great game.

Battlesuit-- The game takes a while... but the sheer nakedness of your infantry gives a prolonged sense of outright terror... while the various drones add a large amount of sci-fi type variety. Reaction fire ensures that players are always actively engaged in the game.

These games are full of awesome....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth... I support your pick of Forbidden Island.

It does seem to be catching on, making it onto shelves in bookstores, etc. and being shopped for by moms as has been mentioned, therefore gaining momentum introducing the general public to the hobby.

I get the feeling that it IS underappreciated by many on BGG. If you add to the base game the variant island configurations BGG users have been coming up with, you get more depth and new challenges for additional playability.

Great game.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Red320319 wrote:

One that intrigues me: Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner. It made Vassel's best game out of 100 in 2009 and I've heard a couple of other interesting things about it.

Sometimes a low rating really is deserved. Vasel seems to like this one for the idea (whoa, crazy battles between totally random and strange matchups from history). I guess that's fine, but the actual gameplay of this one is just absolutely awful. Incredibly boring and takes forever, too. And if you like the idea, just play Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Red320319 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
Change this to a geeklist

How do I do that?

Create a new geeklist, lay out the criteria, and people will do the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
List posted: here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.