Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any posts about NYS-ASL so I figured, why not?

NYS-ASL is in its 7th year and as ASL goes is a pretty large tournament with some tough competitors. Steve Pleva, Gary Trezza, Bob Bendis, and JR Tracy to name a few. Here is the link to their site.

http://www.nys-asl.com/

It is located in Albany, New York. The most important feature is that there is a Starbucks within walking distance. This year there is a strong PTO theme.

Hope to see you all there. Well maybe not all of you. There would be no room to breathe if all 10,000 of you showed up. So you know what I mean.

Albany here we come.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

See you in a couple days, Mark. Hmmmm, I notice I never posted my AAR from last year - time flies! I'll have to do that when I get back, along with the new one!

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Arrrgh! Mark!

A WEEK ago would have been better!!!!

Doubt I can make it, but (dialing quickly now) we'll see.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up!

---Russ (do I REMEMBER how to play this game?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the short notice Russ. I will be sure to start whooping and hollerin' about NYS ASL early next year. It was just an afterthought for me to post something here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NYS-ASL After Action Report

The tournament was themed around the Pacific Theatre of Operations, Southeast Asia, and China. It was a five round tournament where each person advances until there are only one or two people with 5-0 records. It is held at a great location with a Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts within a short walk of the venue.

During each round I noted some things that I meant to look up later. Below are my own Q&A that some of you may find helpful. If you think I made a mistake, definitely let me know.

Round One:

Bob Tufano and I played ‘Shouting into the Storm’ from Action Pack #6. Action Pack #6 has those unusually shaped boards that fit together with the standard ASL board. This is part of the February 1945 counter-attacks against the exhausted and overstretched Russian Army. Bob played the Russians and I played the Germans. Bob set up the heart of his defense on the northern end of the board while I made a thrust straight ahead up the middle.

He responded quickly to my advance by deploying troops to meet me in the middle. A series of fortuitous events all but annihilated his response force with almost no losses on my end. Even with that good fortune I almost ran out of time. As the final seconds ticked off the clock the last building fell and the Germans emerged victorious. This on a larger scale is compared to a shout in a storm. (1-0)

Q: Does smoke in the target hex reduce the strength of residual firepower?
A: No [A8.26]

Q: Is a King Tiger in vehicle bypass allowed to fire at infantry in the bypassed obstacle?
A: Tough question. It turns out that the BMG cannot, the CMG and MA can with a TCA change, and the AAMG can. [C.5B-C, C3.2, D2.32, D2.35, D7.13]

Q: In CC vs. a bypassing vehicle is ambush automatic?
A: No, Ambush and Street Fighting are different concepts. Street Fighting is automatic. Also Street Fighting and Ambush are not cumulative. [A11.8]

Q: Does intensive fire leave residual firepower?
A: No [A8.25]

Q: A Gun fires HE Vehicle Target Type to affect the exposed crew, does this leave residual firepower?
A: No, this is a specific collateral attack. [D.8]

Round Two:

I played a scenario designer this time around. Pete Shelling and I had played once before but we can’t seem to recall the details. We played Sugar Cane Shuffle from the Blood and Jungle pack released last year. I played the Japanese trying to force the Philippine Army back to Bataan. The battle takes place more or less on a sugar plantation, represented by kunai. I had an uninspired attack on his left flank that stalled when he generated two heroes and a fanatic in the same hex. Yikes!

It looked like all hope was lost as my attack lost its momentum, but on the last turn I ran right at him and just enough things went well for me to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The crowning moment was the final CC phase where one of his halftracks finally went down. Great game (2-0)

Q: A foxhole sets up hidden in Kunai next to a hedge. The unit in the hex is revealed while the foxhole is not. Does the unit in the foxhole hex have wall advantage?
A: There is nothing in the rules that specifies that you must pre-designate a unit as being in or out of a fortification. However it becomes necessary to provide that level of specificity in order to comply with the wall advantage rules. We cannot assume the unit to be inside the foxhole when it is revealed. The owner of the foxhole should declare on his HIP sheet that the unit in the foxhole hex is not in the foxhole, otherwise it is assumed. [B9.32, E1.16]

Q: May I place smoke in a turn where gusts are in effect?
A: Yes. [A24.62]

Round 3:

I got to play Bob Bendis this round. It is an honor to sit across the table from a true master of the game. He went on to win the tournament and I believe that makes two years in a row for him. I enjoyed playing against Bob and I had the feeling that my 2-0 record was about to disappear here. Bob and I sat down to Armored Samurai, another release from Blood and Jungle. He played the Chinese and me the Japanese. This scenario marks the earliest battle I have played. Back to 1932 in Harbin, China. Several of my acupuncture teachers are from Harbin, China, unfortunately none of them are into military history.

Anyways, I tried for a hard push up Bob’s right flank. He had some bad fortune initially and I was able to get into position for the big push on his factory. I was so beat up by the time we got near the factory victory seemed so far away, but some things went well for me and on the last turn we could see the possibility of victory. Just as I was getting ready for the final push Gary came by and told us, "you’re done". Bob wanted to continue to ease his conscience but I told him though it was possible for me to win it was extremely unlikely and I should just concede. So I did and I became just a speed bump on his race for the crown. Chinese win. (2-1)

Q: Are rooftops in effect on ‘Into the Rubble’ factories?
A: Rooftops are not in effect in Armored Samurai. Only by SBR. [ITR errata]

Q: When resolving a sniper attack, what if the random location DR sends the sniper off board?
A: Another board is placed on the table and the sniper is placed on that board that is then used to determine the sniper attack hex. [C1.321]

Q: Can a machine gun making a vehicle target type to hit dice roll, declare a fire lane?
A: Yes. [A9.22]

Q: Can an unprotected crew (i.e. crew of an unarmored vehicle) be pinned?
A: Yes. Suffers Case D to hit, no ROF/IF, half firepower.

Q: Can the infantry move further than the AFV in an armored assault?
A: Yes, the only restriction is on how far the AFV can move. [D9.31]

Q: How do the ground level locations of towers work in ‘Into the Rubble’?
A: It is non-open ground. TEM is +0. Hindrance to pass through at same level is +1. Infantry enter at 1MF. Vehicles can only bypass. Tower rules are a little confusing to me. I will need to play with towers a few more times to get it.

Q: Can a unit use reaction fire street fighting vs. an AFV in the street if already marked with first fire?
A: No. [A11.8]

Q: Can a unit change more than one level in a building during the advance phase?
A: No. An exception is Factory Rooftop access points. [A4.7, B23.87]

Q: Can I get a brief overview of what happens during a failed commissar rally?
A: The unit is replaced by the next lower quality (essentially an ELR). Once this is no longer possible this turns into casualty reduction.

Q: Does a unit that declares ESB, need to enter a new hex afterwards?
A: Yes. [D2.5]

Q: Is residual placed from inside a factory different than residual placed from outside the factory, and does it affect units differently based on how they enter the hex?
A: It doesn’t matter how the shot was taken, the residual firepower is calculated normally. If a unit moves within the factory the residual attacks using the factory TEM. Otherwise the building TEM is used. [B23.741]

Round Four:

The pressure is off now. I am now out of the running for the big prize. In reality I never really was in the running, but it is now official. I sat down with Michael Hershey, an all around nice guy, and thoughtful ASL player. We picked out the Hundred Regiments Offensive. This scenario has PTO terrain in effect, essentially meaning it takes place in the tropics. I didn’t buy this. I took a look when I got home and I was correct the Shanxi Province is about at tropical as Denver, Colorado or Kansas City, Missouri. But I digress.

I played the Japanese in this one. Michael played the Communist Chinese guerillas. I basically had to defend a little village from the communists. I set up poorly but had some good events. He had a 9-2 leader that formed the crux of his attack thrust. He advanced him concealed into position to start his assault. I got a lucky line of sight to him, landed a WP round in the hex; the leader apparently caught the WP in his chest. Morale check, 12, to wound, 6. The rest of his entourage collapsed after that. For the next several turns I had the bulk of his attack force hemmed in, but he slowly gained ground. A fresh group of reinforcements came in and struck his exposed flank with speed and effectiveness he was not prepared for. In the end I held enough of the village to win the game. (3-1)

Q: Can Japanese attempt to escape?
A: No. [G1.621]

Round Five:

One of the nice things about the NYS ASL tournament is how it attracts Europeans. Toby Pilling is a top notch player who regularly attends. I have never had the opportunity to play him. But I had a great record going into the final round so I was able to sit across the table from Toby finally. We selected Totensonntag from the newest Friendly Fire pack out of Sweden. This is a Polish counter-offensive in the early days of the German invasion of Poland in 1939. We both thought the Poles looked good and I ended up with the Germans with the listed balance provision. Toby started his offensive and immediately I lost my footing. It took several turns before I was able to regain my footing. It looked like all was lost for Toby after I got my footing back, but he was about to show me some tricks about when to fire and when not to fire.

I really learned a lot from Toby and Bob this time around about how to best use defensive first fire or how to use your movement to force your opponent to make poor shots. Anyways, as victory was near I did something really dumb. I really hate being encircled and will do most anything to get out of it. So I passed up a great fire lane. Anyway Toby made me look like an amateur on the last turn and he pulled out a very close victory. ROAR has this scenario at 6-0 in favor of the Poles so I don’t feel so bad, I made him sweat. (3-2)

This scenario was simple enough that I didn’t really have any questions.

Overall:

Bob Bendis won the tournament. I had a great time. Slept quite a bit after I got back. Made some good connections. Plan to be back next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Q: Does a unit that declares ESB, need to enter a new hex afterwards?
A: Yes. [D2.5]

We later put this into question. It appears that the correct answer is 'no'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.