GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that teach math, without the kid realizing that the game is teaching math rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rzberry Mom
United States
flag msg tools
Any good math games for an almost 6 year old? She's more at an 8 year old math level or so, but she's kind of awful at strategy (e.g. Toot and Otto kicks her butt). I'm hoping to find something that doesn't scream 'math curriculum' but rather is a fun game that just happens to really help with math. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowabunga teaches (mostly mental) addition & subtraction in the guise of surfboarding cows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication worth a look ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
just played No Thanks! and made the kids do the 2 digit addition.

Diamant is good for introducing them to division and remainders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rzberrymom wrote:
Any good math games for an almost 6 year old? She's more at an 8 year old math level or so, but she's kind of awful at strategy (e.g. Toot and Otto kicks her butt). I'm hoping to find something that doesn't scream 'math curriculum' but rather is a fun game that just happens to really help with math. Thanks!!

Although it's a little pricey, I believe Tom Vasel's Vicious Fishes might be the ideal game for both you and your 6-year-old. It's already earned induction into the Shelves of Fame of French game designer Bruno Faidutti's Ideal Game Closet/Cabinet at: http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=719

Check out Tom Vasel's own preview of his "Vicious Fishes" game at the YouTube.com link below.

Although orderable through NestorGames.com, "Vicious Fishes" can also be ordered via MayDayGames.com (located in Utah) in order to save international shipping costs. (Nestor Games is located in Spain.)

A good companion game would be Reiner Knizia's Fish Eat Fish whose sea fish theme and numerical game mechanics should provide a satisfying complement to those of "Vicious Fishes"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm guessing you want arithmetic as opposed to geometry, probability, etc. Coloretto is one of many games with a list of points both added and subtracted at the end. Poison is an attractive adding game. I'm trying to think of division, but I'm stuck at Incan Gold, which has already been mentioned (and only employs it when 2+ players retreat at the same time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also search forums. Click on the forums at the top with the down arrow. Here are 2 to look through

Forums -> game related -> games in the classroom
Forums -> game related -> Gaming with kids

Games that teach math seems to be a subject that comes up pretty regularly. I think I commented on a similar thread in the last couple of weeks.

Here's one particular thread.
adding and subtracting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rzberrymom wrote:

Alhambra. We started playing it with our two girls when the youngest was 5-6. They might not understand the finer strategy at that age, but the simple math to buy the buildings and the simple spacial requirements to place them are easy enough to learn.

Then, you're left with a very good game you can play with adult friends too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to James, Vicious Fishes is a good game with "hidden" math (mainly summing up).

If you want multiplication, division and squaring too, take Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Euro-type games are good for the maths skills because winning generally depends on victory points. As well as adding up scores at the end, you need to work out which move will give you the most points as you go along. So, if I were you, I would think about it in a slightly different way and choose a game where discussion is encouraged and try to develop the "if you do this you get 4 points, if you do this you get 5" approach. This will improve her strategic thinking as well as her arithmetic.

For this, there are many games that will work. Games like Ticket to Ride would work, but games which encourage discussion like Carcassonne are ideal. Carcassonne has the added advantage that you can choose the rules to use to suit your purpose (e.g. if farmers is too complex for today you can leave them out).

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Ocampo
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biberbande. Excellent game, fun for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino taught Corben, my 5 year old, to add up quickly.

It may be a coincidence but he plays a lot of boardgames with me and he has been assessed to have the computational skills of a 9 year old.

He also plays a lot of computational games like Royal Turf, Incan Gold, Powerboats and Bohnanza to mention but a few.

Pickomino, Royal Turf and Pitch Car (which incidentally has no maths skills) are his clear favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not go with a classic? Cribbage does a great job of sharpening arithmetic skills and also teaches pattern recognition as well.

Worked for me around 40 years ago, anyhow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I agree to James, Vicious Fishes is a good game with "hidden" math (mainly summing up).

Don't be modest, Markus. Your Topology is perfect for this too, so mention it. It has 'hidden' multiplication and addition. Remember when that kid beat his father in our booth in Essen by almost 100 points? He was calculating really fast!

Disclaimer: I'm the publisher or Markus' game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities has addition and multiplication in its scoring and number-centred stratigerizing (dubya TM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verhaevert
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Summy by Cwali fits the picture.
it's a scrabble like game with sums, addition,divisions and multiplications.
I tried it out in Essen and it's simple and fun.

very replayable and very easy to explazin even to a 6 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ka-Ching!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
older thread: Games to teach math

edit to add some Geeklists that may assist and extend beyond the current topic:

Beyond Counting :: Games That Can Be Used to Teach Basic Math Concepts

Games that teach logic and/or math concepts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

There's squaring in Stone Age surprise ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n_r_a wrote:

Don't be modest, Markus. Your Topology is perfect for this too, so mention it. It has 'hidden' multiplication and addition. Remember when that kid beat his father in our booth in Essen by almost 100 points? He was calculating really fast!

Disclaimer: I'm the publisher or Markus' game.

You´re right, there is quite a lot of addition needed in Topology. Never thought about it, as there is so much geometry.

djay16 wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

There's squaring in Stone Age surprise ?!

At the end of the game, you get VP equal to the square number of different cards you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Martinez
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeus on the loose teaches addition subtraction and rounding up numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Eureka
MT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That is exactly what I was going to say. My wife's family are all cribbage players and have managed to get all the kids into it at an early age.

Marqos wrote:
Why not go with a classic? Cribbage does a great job of sharpening arithmetic skills and also teaches pattern recognition as well.

Worked for me around 40 years ago, anyhow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Oh! Look at the Bunny Rabbit - Math Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Countdown!
Head Full of Numbers
Yahtzee
Take it Easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
While this may be a little out of their league, Power Grid involves a LOT of math as you make and plan your move.
Might be a bit over the head of a six year-old but definitely a good one once they're able to start wrapping their heads around the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.