1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Light Ameritrash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
What is an example of a Light Ameritrash ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Memoir 44 is Ameritrash ? I always thought that it was an Euro-Wargame since the miniatures in the game do not actually represents individual characters but a symbolism of the unit's health thus Euro-ish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is supposed to be light, but I haven't played it. For a co-op, I'd recommend Shadows Over Camelot. Betrayal at House on the Hill is easy to learn, along with Nexus Ops. Also, Shadow Hunters for larger groups (7-8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djay16 wrote:
Memoir 44 is Ameritrash ? I always thought that it was an Euro-Wargame since the miniatures in the game do not actually represents individual characters but a symbolism of the unit's health thus Euro-ish

I think most people would consider M44 a "light wargame" with AT-ish features, like plastic figures, lots of dice, and plenty of combat/direct conflict, all of which are decidedly "non-Euro". I would lump it with AT before I'd lump it with Euro-like games, that's for sure. Most importantly, I do think it answers your original question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
There is "heavy" Ameritrash?

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition? Some would consider it a "heavy" AT game. Certainly a lot more moving parts than "Risk - Halo Edition".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP's question:

Risk: Halo Wars Collector's Edition

Any of the "themed" Risk games fall into this category. The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars versions are some of the best, but are getting hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

This is questionable... Mall of Horror skates awfully close on being a Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition? Some would consider it a "heavy" AT game. Certainly a lot more moving parts than "Risk - Halo Edition".
Overly long and loaded with chrome does not make a game heavy. It might make it enjoyable, but not heavy.

Well, of course, then we come to the problem of defining "heavy". I don't disagree with what you say about overly long and loaded with chrome, but I think some people would equate those things, especially the chrome (and the rules and play options that come with that chrome) with "weight". "Game weight" is such a nebulous thing, but I would feel that playing Risk Halo Edition is a 'lighter' experience than playing TI3 - certainly less taxing on the brain, which to me speaks to 'weight'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
Monsters Menace America
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Overly long and loaded with chrome does not make a game heavy. It might make it enjoyable, but not heavy.

Have you tried LIFTING that box? Dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman fits the bill for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:

Have you tried LIFTING that box? Dude.

Brilliant... why didn't I think of this. whistle You have identified the definitive way to determine how "heavy" a game is. So, we know that Agricola is "heavy". We must all petition BGG to add a "weight" field to the database so we can finally see which games are heavy and which are light.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Titan and Magic Realm seem pretty heavy to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of the Gladiators

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unless your comparison is ASL, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
unless your comparison is ASL, yes.

Was this an answer to my post? If it was, then consider the fact that even though Titan is light on rules and its basics are easy to learn, its strategy is very deep. Newbies have no chance against players that have played 100s of times, and these will have a very hard time vs players that have 1000s plays under their belts...

Magic Realm has been compared to ASL in terms of complexity, and also has deep strategy and a steep learning curve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Well, of course, then we come to the problem of defining "heavy". I don't disagree with what you say about overly long and loaded with chrome, but I think some people would equate those things, especially the chrome (and the rules and play options that come with that chrome) with "weight". "Game weight" is such a nebulous thing, but I would feel that playing Risk Halo Edition is a 'lighter' experience than playing TI3 - certainly less taxing on the brain, which to me speaks to 'weight'.

Ti3 is only "heavy" in the political meta game being played by good players. May also a bit in understanding all of the possibilities on the board with the interleaved action system.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4343. malloc
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:37 pm
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Thunder Road!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 4344. malloc
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • I always Roll!
  • Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:38 pm
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we compare games among their own sphere, i feel it's safe to point to some games as heavier than others.

For instance, compared to smallworld, Conflict of Heroes is a game that feels heavyish. BUT, in the world of wargames, it's a rather light game, compared to ASL and similars.

In the same fashion, you could say that classic ameritrash games like Ti3, WotR, SW:The queen's gambit, are heavier than Nexus ops or Claustrophobia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
ekted wrote:

This is questionable... Mall of Horror skates awfully close on being a Euro.

It is a Euro. It's a game of negotiation and voting (on who is going to die), in the same vein as Lifeboats.

Light Ameritrash? I have to go with Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.