Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Games in Palestine from the Maccabeans to the siege at Masada rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no wargamer, but I have ordered SPQR deluxe.

Currently I'm studying "Palestine in the age of Jesus" at the University. This starts with the Maccabean revolt and ends with the jewish revolt that ended in year 73.

Are there any good wargames that covers some of this? I know SPQR have a some scenarios on the Maccabeans.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:



+1, with the caveat that this is pretty complex.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jewish War is a simple and fun game. Not a simulation though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geirerik wrote:
I'm no wargamer

Oops!

Too late!!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The current advices seem to be hard to get. But maybe I'm over estimating the value of obscure games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geirerik wrote:
I know SPQR have a some scenarios on the Maccabeans.


Mark Herman did in fact cover the Maccabean Revolt in C3i (Part I: El-Haramiah, Beth Hoiron and Emmaus {Vol. I, #2; Spring 1993}) (Part II: Judea vs. Seleucids {Vol. I, #3; 1994}).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:
Geirerik wrote:
I know SPQR have a some scenarios on the Maccabeans.


Mark Herman did in fact cover the Maccabean Revolt in C3i (Part I: El-Haramiah, Beth Hoiron and Emmaus {Vol. I, #2; Spring 1993}) (Part II: Judea vs. Seleucids {Vol. I, #3; 1994}).


The counters are included in SPQR (Deluxe Edition), with the scenarios available as a free download on the C3i archive site:
http://www.c3iopscenter.com/Archive_by_Topic/Archive_By_Topi...

Scroll down and look for the 2 part Hammer of God module.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geirerik wrote:
The current advices seem to be hard to get. But maybe I'm over estimating the value of obscure games?


The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition) Shouldn't be hard or expensive to get as long as you can find an ebay seller that can get it to you with reasonable shipping. An unpunched copy just sold for $23 on Ebay on 29 Nov.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:

The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition) Shouldn't be hard or expensive to get as long as you can find an ebay seller that can get it to you with reasonable shipping. An unpunched copy just sold for $23 on Ebay on 29 Nov.


Living in a country with a currency kept steady by oil, $23 is really cheap. As you said the really issue then is the shipping cost. I guess I'll have an eye on E-bay again. ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition) is a fabulous game experience; right period, great map of Jerusalem AD70,but while there are shorter scenarios, to play out the campaign will take some time and it is a moderate complexity game.

Another one of interest might be Successors, optimal number however is probably 4 players, and it is a little early for your time period but sets the scene for the subsequent Maccabean period.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Taskforce 58 wrote:
evanbrooks wrote:
Geirerik wrote:
I know SPQR have a some scenarios on the Maccabeans.


Mark Herman did in fact cover the Maccabean Revolt in C3i (Part I: El-Haramiah, Beth Hoiron and Emmaus {Vol. I, #2; Spring 1993}) (Part II: Judea vs. Seleucids {Vol. I, #3; 1994}).


The counters are included in SPQR (Deluxe Edition), with the scenarios available as a free download on the C3i archive site:
http://www.c3iopscenter.com/Archive_by_Topic/Archive_By_Topi...

Scroll down and look for the 2 part Hammer of God module.


And they are fun scenarios the Maccabeans are tuff lil mofo's.

Here is an image of some of the other units from SPQR in an AAR I just wrote that have units from C3i20:here

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Jury wrote:
The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition) is a fabulous game experience; right period, great map of Jerusalem AD70,but while there are shorter scenarios, to play out the campaign will take some time and it is a moderate complexity game.

Another one of interest might be Successors, optimal number however is probably 4 players, and it is a little early for your time period but sets the scene for the subsequent Maccabean period.



doah wrong thread.
here are some guys:

The first few seconds show the newer units.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.