Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 games of Memoir' 44, Louis and I join a table with Chantal, Daniel and Lisette. It was our first multi player game of the day. Since the theme of the day was on space, we played Merchant of Venus. Of the five of us, only Louis played before, so he was the one who explained how the game worked.

Louis explained what kind of game it was, but we all wasn't sure we understood how the game worked. So the best thing was to start and see for ourselves and try to understand as the game progressed. I clicked how the game worked and what was needed to be done and stuff after we did 2 turns each. The concept of the game is interesting.

The basis of the game is simple. It is to earn the most money. The player with the most money wins. You discover different ports which produces different resources. These resources you buy and need to deliver to specific ports in order to sell them for profits. These ports are face down till visited, so with an aid card, you know which ports produces what resource, but you don't know where a specific port is located in the solar system until visited.

At the start of the game, your ship can have up to 2 resources. At specific ports you can upgrade the ship to go faster and/or hold more cargo. You can also build factories on the ports for possible profits in the long run, add a laser on the ship, red warp drive, yellow warp drive or a combination of both.

When buying the resources, the supply will go down. During the game, these resourses can come back, just like if a port would produce a new resource. Also, there will be certain demands for a certain resources at specific ports. So when selling a certain resourse at a specific port, you will earn more money than normal.

So the game is basically exploring the solar system for ports, buying and selling resources. We played for about one hour and a half than stop because it was getting very late. After counting our money and selling resources we had on our ships, Louis finished with the most money for the win.

Merchant of Venus is a game which I am glad that I tried, as am basically open to play anything at least once. I am not sure that it would be a game which I would want in my game collection, that is if it was still available. I do believe the game is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.