Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Space Race Victory Points and Opponent-Associated Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping some of my fellow geeks can help clear up some questions I have.

All chapter/section references are to the 2nd Edition rulebook (GMT 0510-07). I don't know if the first or third edition rulebooks are different.

6.4.3 states that "All Space Race Victory Points are cumulative." Is my interpretation correct that if a player advances past more than one VP spot on the Space Race during a phase, they get all of the points they passed? (But they don't get those points the next time they move on the track -- they only get whatever points they landed on/passed during the phase.)


7.0: When playing cards, red stars are events related to the USSR, white stars are events related to the USA, and half-red half-white stars relate to both. Am I correct in my interpretation that if the USA player uses a "red star" card for Ops points, that the USSR event on the card automatically takes place (and vice-versa)? Also, when the USA plays a "white star" card, the player chooses whether it's for Ops points OR the event (and vice-versa)? And finally, when playing a "half-and-half" card, the event doesn't automatically engage -- the player chooses, since the event applies to either side?


I think that's it for now. Thanks for whatever help you can give!
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
You get the points from each box you land on in the space race (I say this specifically because there's a card that lets you skip a box, and you don't get the benefit of the skipped box). Also note that the first person gets the number before the slash in VP, and the second person, assuming they likewise get to that box, get the number after the slash in VP.

Your interpretation of how cards play out is correct. Also note that the order is decided by the person playing the card; if you are the USA and you play a red starred event, you trigger the event, but you decide if that event happens before or after you use the points.

Half-and-half events can be played either as event or ops, and you get the benefit of the event.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
nightglider1 wrote:
I'm hoping some of my fellow geeks can help clear up some questions I have.

All chapter/section references are to the 2nd Edition rulebook (GMT 0510-07). I don't know if the first or third edition rulebooks are different.

6.4.4 states that "All Space Race Victory Points are cumulative." Is my interpretation correct that if a player advances past more than one VP spot on the Space Race during a phase, they get all of the points they passed? (But they don't get those points the next time they move on the track -- they only get whatever points they landed on/passed during the phase.)


I'm not 100% clear on your question, but I'm clear on the Space Race, which works as follows:

If you advance to a space marked with VP, and you're the first player to reach that space, you score exactly that many points. Some of the spaces have second-place points if the other player reaches them. You cannot score the points more than once, and if you skip over a space with One Small Step, you don't score the points listed on it.

Does that answer your question?


Quote:
7.0: When playing cards, red stars are events related to the USSR, white stars are events related to the USA, and half-red half-white stars relate to both. Am I correct in my interpretation that if the USA player uses a "red star" card for Ops points, that the USSR event on the card automatically takes place (and vice-versa)?


Correct. The active player chooses the order, however.

Quote:
Also, when the USA plays a "white star" card, the player chooses whether it's for Ops points OR the event (and vice-versa)?


Correct.

Quote:
And finally, when playing a "half-and-half" card, the event doesn't automatically engage -- the player chooses, since the event applies to either side?


Correct. The only time cards are played for both OPs and the Event is if the card in question is coded to the opponent's side (US playing Red or Soviets playing blue).


Quote:
I think that's it for now. Thanks for whatever help you can give!


Any time. Let me know if I need to clarify anything further.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
Regarding the Space Race, if I interpret your question correctly, then my answer is yes. You get the VPs, if any, when landing onto the Space Race step. Do note that some spaces award less or zero VPs if you progress to that step second to your opponent.

Regarding playing the various types of cards, yes, your interpretation is correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
It's the word "cumulative" that has me confused. That seems to suggest that a player gets VPs for the box they land in, PLUS VPs from every box before then. That can't possibly be right, can it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
nightglider1 wrote:
It's the word "cumulative" that has me confused. That seems to suggest that a player gets VPs for the box they land in, PLUS VPs from every box before then. That can't possibly be right, can it?


No, it can't. I agree that it's a poor choice of words!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
OK, my last post was made before I saw that there were more replies.

Re-reading the rule makes me think that there's an error -- is it possible that it should read "the SPECIAL ABILITIES of the Space Race are cumulative"? There's an example in the rulebook of what happens when a player reaches spaces 2, 4, 6, and 8 and even spells out that if the USSR player reaches "4" before the USA player, then the USSR player would be able to both play two SR cards and require the USA to show his Headline before making his own selection.

Once the USA player reached "2", however, the "two card" special ability would be void for both players, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
Yeah, you've got it. The abilities all stack but as soon as your opponent reaches one of them, it's voided.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
Thanks everybody for the feedback!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions
I think cumulative is meant to say "you get the points for every space you land on, you don't gain the difference."

So we all know the correct way is to score the 2, then score the 3 (if you make it to the first 2 scoring boxes) for a total of +5 over a few turns. But someone might interpret that to mean +2 when you reach the first box, and then +1 more when you get to the 2nd box. Thus, the reference to them as "cumulative."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB BB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but we played a game yesterday that ended due to the "All space race victory points are cumulative." statement in the rule book. And both players are unclear on what the rule actually is.

Just so it is clear to me, lets say Im the only person throwing cards on the space race once per turn and am successful with the die roll each time (just to keep this example simple).

On the first turn, I get to 'Earth Satellite' and score 2VPs.

Second turn, I get to the 'Animal in Space' box and get the special ability to play 2 cards on the space race per turn.

Third turn, I get to the 'Man in Space' box - NOW, do I score 2 VPs (just for Man in Space)? Or 4 VPs (2 for Man in Space AND 2 for Earth Satellite)?

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scuudz wrote:
Hi,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but we played a game yesterday that ended due to the "All space race victory points are cumulative." statement in the rule book. And both players are unclear on what the rule actually is.

Just so it is clear to me, lets say Im the only person throwing cards on the space race once per turn and am successful with the die roll each time (just to keep this example simple).

On the first turn, I get to 'Earth Satellite' and score 2VPs.

Second turn, I get to the 'Animal in Space' box and get the special ability to play 2 cards on the space race per turn.

Third turn, I get to the 'Man in Space' box - NOW, do I score 2 VPs (just for Man in Space)? Or 4 VPs (2 for Man in Space AND 2 for Earth Satellite)?

Thanks in advance!


You get precisely the points that are specified in the box you just landed in. So, 2 VPs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.