GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Reiner Knizia's Ra» Forums » General

Subject: Different rules for RA on iphone and RA boardgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

RA is one of my favourite game and I recently also got the iphone version to play on the go. I realised that there is a difference in the rules and wish to check whether I have been playing wrongly for the boardgame.

RA on iphone states that when a player gets a disaster tile, he will lose the tiles associated with that disaster. If he does not have the tile(s) to lose, he will choose any other tiles to lose instead.

This is different from the boardgame, whereby the player do not need to lose any tiles if he does not have the tiles that are related to the disaster.

Have I been playing wrongly for the boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the boardgame, if you have no tiles associated with the disaster, you don't lose any. I would hate for the game to be different - that's part of the trick to the game, expanding a lot when you're sure it will suck for someone else but not for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the iPhone app is taking your tiles when it should not, go back to the app store and demand your money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
In the boardgame, if you have no tiles associated with the disaster, you don't lose any. I would hate for the game to be different - that's part of the trick to the game, expanding a lot when you're sure it will suck for someone else but not for you...

Yeah, if that's an intentional rule change, it's a very bad one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatever the rules say on the app (i haven't read them), it plays the rules correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:
whatever the rules say on the app (i haven't read them), it plays the rules correctly.

If you have not read the rules, how could you possibly know that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
He would know that if he's played the app and it implements the original rules correctly, regardless of its stated rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
jojobinks wrote:

If you have not read the rules, how could you possibly know that?

It's one of the great mysteries of the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
He would know that if he's played the app and it implements the original rules correctly, regardless of its stated rules.

Is he saying the iphone version does not force a lost tile if none matches? Otherwise the iphone version does implement rules changes from the boxed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just read the rule in question. it's not as clear as it could be (or as clear as in the boardgame rules), but it's not as wrong as the OP makes it look.

it says:
Quote:
If the player has fewer than two tiles in the category per disaster tile, they lose any tiles they may have.

so there's pronoun agreement issues, and then at the end of the sentence it only implies "in that category." in any event, as poorly as it's written, and as mysterious as it may be, i happen to know the app implements the rule correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If the disaster you take doesn't affect any of the tiles you already had or just won from that auction, then that disaster has no effect for you. It's odd how they missed this, but eh, bugs do happen

Barticus88 wrote:
If the iPhone app is taking your tiles when it should not, go back to the app store and demand your money back.
I've always wondered about that. AFAIK, you can't due to their policies and EULA. I don't read that type of legalise, but at the very least, one should bring this up with the developer first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the iPad version for many times now and have no encouraged this bug. From what I can see the iPad version is using the correct rules. Maybe you can email codito with your problem. It can be simply how you are discarding the tiles that confused you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steadzy wrote:
RA on iphone states that when a player gets a disaster tile, he will lose the tiles associated with that disaster. If he does not have the tile(s) to lose, he will choose any other tiles to lose instead.

Okay, Now I understand this post. You aren't talking about playing the iPhone app, you are talking about the rules supplied with the app. The rule supplied with the app can be misread. No one has encountered (or encouraged) a case where the app played incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules should be

- Take all tiles, including disasters, into your hand.

- Discard all disasters together with two matching tiles each. These can be old and/or new tiles. (Still have to obey rules like floods before rivers.)

If it's just the iPhone rules that are badly worded, I suggest dropping a line to the game publisher, probably quoting the board game rules (from the latest RG edition I suggest, rules are available.)

If on the other hand the game plays wrongly then I'd be all but certain that Reiner wouldn't have permitted that, and if necessary one could also send the comment to him. (Or at least I can.) The last posting above suggests this is not the case, can someone confirm (or if I have time I'll try myself.)

I do know of a case where Reiner permitted a small variation in an iPhone game (the tiebreaking serial numbers in Money aren't visible). But I also know this did require his specific permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that in the board game rules, each player starts with 10 points and points are kept secret throughout, but on the iphone, each player starts with 20 points, and the points aren't kept secret. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most online adaptations of games seem to not bother to hide the points. In turn-based games this makes sense, because usually there is some sort of turn log that would make it easy (if a pain in the neck) to manually track the points anyway, so why not just display them?

For real-time games that more closely mimic the board game, if there is no turn log, I'm not sure why they'd bother to show the points. But maybe there IS a turn log?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I just noticed that in the board game rules, each player starts with 10 points and points are kept secret throughout, but on the iphone, each player starts with 20 points, and the points aren't kept secret. Am I missing something?
As far as starting off with 20pts vs 10pts, beats the hell outta me. It's fine as long as everyone starts off with the same, but I do wish it was consistent with the IRL game rules. Reminds me of a time when people scoffed at the scores of a 2p game in Carcassonne. When asked, they said they scored 800pts per player. What ended up happening was they weren't THAT good. They just thought for some reason, where normal people score 1pt, they scored 5pts instead, so there was a "five fold" error that somehow they were taught or assumed wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone managed to get an online game of Ra going? I've started a few but my opponent's names are like "player616452676" and nothing ever progresses further from the setup stage.

Also, sometimes the main menu freezes up after I've entered and left the 'options' menu.

Compared to Samurai, the online interface for Ra is cumbersome, clunky and buggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
As far as starting off with 20pts vs 10pts, beats the hell outta me. It's fine as long as everyone starts off with the same,

It's not entirely the same. Theoretically, it is possible for someone to go for monuments alone and ignore everything else, and score -14VP or so in the first two epochs and have the losses beyond -10 pardoned, and come back and win on monuments in the third epoch. If players start with 20VP, that prevents any minus VP from ever being pardoned.

I have yet to see anyone actually have any minus VP pardoned in practice, though. However, I still think it is somewhat significant, because if one scores -7 VP in the first epoch, he can actually forget about getting Pharaohs or a Civ in the second epoch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
As far as starting off with 20pts vs 10pts, beats the hell outta me. It's fine as long as everyone starts off with the same,

It's not entirely the same. Theoretically, it is possible for someone to go for monuments alone and ignore everything else, and score -14VP or so in the first two epochs and have the losses beyond -10 pardoned, and come back and win on monuments in the third epoch. If players start with 20VP, that prevents any minus VP from ever being pardoned.

I have yet to see anyone actually have any minus VP pardoned in practice, though. However, I still think it is somewhat significant, because if one scores -7 VP in the first epoch, he can actually forget about getting Pharaohs or a Civ in the second epoch.
Yeah, that's what I was hinting at. The general joke is that if you go into minus VP, you're probably NOT gonna win the game anyways unless everyone's in the same boat as you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.