Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a brief review to give My Two Cents on Konexi.

Technical Stuff

Konexi was published in 2010 by Zimzala Games. The instructions suggest two to five players of age ten years and up. There is no suggested playing time in the instructions or on the box, but in the games we have played the game has typically gone been thirty minutes and an hour.

Stuff That’s Included

The box contains the rules on a simple three fold sheet, a Mover Token, 26 Letters – each being about an inch and a half tall with slots and grooves on them, a Konexi Die, a score pad, and a pencil.

Not a part of the game but also included in the box are a cardboard insert which is serviceable, but can be discarded without much risk to the game’s components.

Game Play

The game begins with the 26 Letters being arranged in a circle around the play area with the Mover Token being placed between any two of the letters. The first player is the player whose birthday is next. On a player’s turn they simply role the Konexi Die, which is a six-sided die number 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, and ANY LETTER, and then move the Mover Token clockwise around the circle of letters. The player then chooses one of the two letters on either side of the Move Token to add to the tower and a player must add a letter to the tower. Of course, there are a few caveats to how a player adds a letter to the tower:

1. A player can only use one hand when adding a letter to the tower.
2. Only one letter in the tower can be touching the playing surface at any time.
3. The letter added to the tower must be slotted into the grooves of a letter that is already part of the tower.

If for any reason you case the tower to fall, including if two letters touch the playing surface at the same time, you take a penalty to your score of minus three points. If the two falls or if all twenty-six letters are added to the tower such as here:

(Yes, that R really is still off the table.)

the game round ends and all the letters are arranged as they were to begin the game.

If the player spells a word with their added letter they score one point for each letter in the word. The letters in the word spelled have to be continuous, but not necessarily sequential which leads to some interesting letter combinations to spell words. The first player to reach twenty points wins the game.

Stuff I Liked

My wife really likes this game – so much so that she bought it and asks to play it – which scores the game huge points in my book since she is generally not a gamer.

The game is like an odd combination of Jenga and Scrabble which to me is thinking outside the box and masterfully done. Have to give the designers kudos for coming up with what I feel is a truly original idea for a game.

The ease of setup, cleanup, and the relatively short playing time of this game are all pluses in my book.

Stuff I Didn’t Like

Umm, can’t really think of anything I don’t like about this game. The odd color of the pencil maybe?

My Two Cents

If you enjoy word or dexterity games and are looking for a relatively short game that has aspects of both then this is a great game to purchase. If you like both of these types of games and don’t already have a game that combines aspects of both into a single game, then this fills that rather odd niche in a game collection rather neatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up.

My first inclination is to click on "submit correction" to have it taken out of the "Word" category. This sounds like an interesting Jenga-ish game (I like Jenga) and it sounds like it has an oh-by-the-way rule which gives a tiny bit of credit for making a word, but it sure doesn't sound like a word game to me.

But it looks purdy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaz Donnell wrote:
If the player spells a word with their added letter they score one point for each letter in the word.
So how does that work. In the picture, G, U, N, and S are connected (and of course, there is other stuff connected beyond). When the last letter is played, does the player get credit for GUNS, SNUG, and GNUS for a total of 12 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Chaz Donnell wrote:
If the player spells a word with their added letter they score one point for each letter in the word.
So how does that work. In the picture, G, U, N, and S are connected (and of course, there is other stuff connected beyond). When the last letter is played, does the player get credit for GUNS, SNUG, and GNUS for a total of 12 points?

A player can only score one word per turn. In this case, the player could claim credit for any of these words scoring 4 points for the turn. If I remember correctly they claimed SUNG as their word during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Groat
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Review.
I've been enjoying this game as well. That R must just ba a hair away.
I somehow missed the "clockwise" rule in my first couple games.shake
It's kind of nice having two sets of letters to choose from each turn though. It seems to make for quicker games and everyone that I've played with (incorrectly) likes the extra options.
After the initial circle is set up, I like to lay the "widget" flat in the center of the circle and give it a good spin to determine the starting location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

We missed for a while too. Fortunately(?) we have enough people who like gaming the game that one them caught when going back through looking for a loophole on something else.

And yeah it was close, none of the shots we tried to take with the cameras (which are actually all phones) were good enough to show the gap, but we could slide an index card all the way under it without moving the stack. I should have thought to take a top down shot or video of someone moving the card under R but didn't think of it at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.