GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,263 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: If I should pick a single custom card... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've just ordered the Stash promo card, and was wondering what should I do with the blank cards set coming along with it.
So here's the request: please suggest the single custom/homebrew card I should print and glue.
I would like a card with interesting mechanics, good interaction with what I have (just Dominion base set + promos) and well balanced (no overpowered stuff, please).
As a bonus, would be nice tat the card is not kinda of duplicate of cards from other retail sets, as probably I'll get more Dominion in the future
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have any ideas, but am subscribing with the same request!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use card sleeves, you can avoid the glue and slip in whatever you like - then change it for next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downside being that - owning all the Dominion Family - I would have to sleeve more than 1000 cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
The only downside being that - owning all the Dominion Family - I would have to sleeve more than 1000 cards...

Been there, done that. Except for Dominion: Prosperity, which hasn't come in yet...

But I have card sleeves waiting for it... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...cost of 1000 card sleeves ~£40

Cost of a brand new Dominion base-game ~£28

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
One guy had a pretty cool idea where he printed up a bunch of them and laminated the sheet. Then circle the one he's playing with and that blanks are that card for the game.

I think there are images in the game's gallery of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that anything that allows a player to identify a card on his deck, or whilst shuffling, distorts the game. So I would not be happy with labels stuck on blanks, as they are identifiable. neither would home made cards, since they would be identifiable. The sleeves thing works, but I hate sleeves. And I have found no reliable way to print directly onto blank cards. So it is just as well that there are enough variations in the base set and expansions that I do not feel the need o investigate home made cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
mb
"Deck Filler"
Action

+1 card
+1 action

This card does nothing.

Cost: 0

The funny thing is this card would actually be really useful in a Gardens deck, or for getting Peddlers, to buy out for cities or to end the game, and even as a niche combo with throne room in a set with no +2 actions. As a negative it can be swindled into a curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am especially proud of the following ones:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
If you use card sleeves, you can avoid the glue and slip in whatever you like - then change it for next time!

This is what I do, except that I don't have sleeves. I'll either have a single print out of the card or just write what the card does on a piece of paper and put in on the pile of blank cards for reference. This way you can play with any card that you want. I ordered extra blank cards and I've colored them each a different color so now I can use 7 custom cards in a single game.

Other than that, if you haven't seen it already, I have a compilation of all the custom cards that I have found posted on this site. I've been trying to give them ratings (see column X), I've only gotten through 1000 so far and in the big picture, I've tested very few of them. So don't take my ratings for granted.

Fanmade Card Spreadsheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Hmmm...cost of 1000 card sleeves ~£40

Cost of a brand new Dominion base-game ~£28

To be fair to my sleeving OCD, it's not the same thing: you could damage one card from each of your sets...

Plus I'll throw in my obligatory "games in Australia are sooo expensive" lament - Dominion base game $65.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks both for cards suggestions and for alternative ways to use custom cards. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proxy. If you're playing with just one custom card or only a few (you could mark your other blank cards with custom marks to distinguish).

Keep a couple copies of the card printed on paper for people to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwommy wrote:
fateswanderer wrote:

This is what I do, except that I don't have sleeves. I'll either have a single print out of the card or just write what the card does on a piece of paper and put in on the pile of blank cards for reference. This way you can play with any card that you want. I ordered extra blank cards and I've colored them each a different color so now I can use 7 custom cards in a single game.

Other than that, if you haven't seen it already, I have a compilation of all the custom cards that I have found posted on this site. I've been trying to give them ratings (see column X), I've only gotten through 1000 so far and in the big picture, I've tested very few of them. So don't take my ratings for granted.

Fanmade Card Spreadsheet

Shoulda read the whole thread. You said the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
I am especially proud of the following ones:

Ward and Jester look good. Fairy Gold, and Cartographer are neat. The other two I'm not sure about. But good design overall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one question about Jester: should it be used in 10 copies, or in 8-12 (as a Victory)?
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Victory card, so 12 (or 8 w/ 2 player), just like Great Hall and Nobles.

Gabbi wrote:
one question about Jester: should it be used in 10 copies, or in 8-12 (as a Victory)?
thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.