42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: HMS Invincible up for Auction! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/11/29/just-in-time-for-...

Talk about the ultimate wargaming digs.

Convert it into a floating hotel and wargamer retirement center, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think it will fit in my bathtub...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our carriers aren't that big. It probably would fit in your bath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pincher wrote:
Our carriers aren't that big. It probably would fit in your bath...

Your new ones will be pretty big, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales...

Nearly as big as our Nimitz/Ford class! The building of these two are the reason the RN has to auction off Invincible in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me about it - we're selling off more than just Invince. At least I can always serve on a Type 45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
No plans for auctioning off HMS Victory?
It is pretty old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
No plans for auctioning off HMS Victory?
It is pretty old.

It's pretty cold at the moment too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will be difficult to sneak that purchase into the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HMS Victory anecdote:

I toured it in September. It was my first visit back to the motherland for nearly ten years and it was on my list of mainly military museums (inc. Duxford, Cosford, Yeovilton, Bletchley Park, Nat. Maritime Museum, etc.). After the tour I remarked to the guide that I (or my father) must have paid a reduced children's price for me on my first visit, and I had just paid a senior discount on this, my second visit. He went one better than that: apparently in the 1950s children got aboard free!

Still, he said, it seems a long time to wait just to get a couple of pounds off the ticket price.......

Portsmouth, it must be said, is a great place to visit. The Historic Dockyard has Victory, HMS Warrior, the Mary Rose museum (which will, by 2016, expand to show the preserved ship itself), and lots more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Wilhammer wrote:

Convert it into a floating hotel and wargamer retirement center, I say!

Question: how often does a ship needs to be painted? Answer: Constantly.

But if you could charge enough, maybe anchor the thing in the Bahamas or, what the hell Truk (modern Chuuk) ... it just might work!

"Attention all hands, the complete EFS Barbarossa session will be starting on hanger deck 1 at 1100 hours."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do love the fact that there is a compare button on the website where it is being sold. Yes, you too can compare this what 17,000t of floating scrap metal with no engines or anything else with other 17,000t of floating scrap metal to compare prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
I can just see it being used as an X-Games venue with skateboarders going off the ski jump into a tub of Jello replacing the Sea Dart launcher--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it the once over before you buy! This was one of the ships the UK sent to recapture the Falkland Islands in 1982. To repeat what I posted in another BGG forum:

According to Wikipedia and an official web site of the Argentine Air Force, the HMS Invincible was hit by an engine from one of the destroyed attacking A-4C aircraft, and that she was also hit by Argentine aircraft dropped bombs, but "this is officially denied by the British Government and there is no evidence that any damage was inflicted" and "the ship attacked ...was the frigate HMS Avenger".

Are there any veterans, or other witnesses that can shed light on what actually happened? After all, I wouldn't want to buy a damaged aircraft carrier.

- as/jz

PS: Seems the parentheses in the Wikipedia url are causing trouble. See the Wikipedia article here:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(R05)]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Nelson

Annapolis
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I showed this to one of my software developers as a joke that I was buying this for my upcoming retirement. She has no military, navy, boating, or gaming experience, but she immediately said that it would make an excellent unique high end condo or apartment complex, and that it could after conversion be anchored near offshore to a major metro area to avoid dockage fees--use air and sea taxi to downtown! I told her that there would be a large hanger deck too, and she thought that would be perfect for hosting large events for the complex in just part of it. That kind of high speed, innovative thinking tells you what kind of developers I have! Interesting to see the parallels with what some of all of you are saying, too. Sad to see the old lady cut up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sad to see the old lady cut up.

For a second I thought that sentenced referred to your developer. It's been a long day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andre_sand wrote:
According to Wikipedia and an official web site of the Argentine Air Force, the HMS Invincible was hit by an engine from one of the destroyed attacking A-4C aircraft, and that she was also hit by Argentine aircraft dropped bombs, but "this is officially denied by the British Government and there is no evidence that any damage was inflicted" and "the ship attacked ...was the frigate HMS Avenger".

Generally the submariner in charge of the fleet stationed the carriers far enough from the islands that they could not be attacked by enemy aircraft, this being his method of ensuring their survival, but they came in occasionally. It would have been unlikely therefore for such an attack to take place, and the Argentine claim seems to be a post-war association of an engagement that roughly coincided with Invincible's then position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Horse wrote:
I showed this to one of my software developers as a joke that I was buying this for my upcoming retirement. She has no military, navy, boating, or gaming experience, but she immediately said that it would make an excellent unique high end condo or apartment complex, and that it could after conversion be anchored near offshore to a major metro area to avoid dockage fees--use air and sea taxi to downtown! I told her that there would be a large hanger deck too, and she thought that would be perfect for hosting large events for the complex in just part of it. That kind of high speed, innovative thinking tells you what kind of developers I have! Interesting to see the parallels with what some of all of you are saying, too. Sad to see the old lady cut up.

The last ship I served on -- USS Iwo Jima (LPH 2) -- was sold for scrap some years ago. It went for $171,000.

I thought it was a shame to sell it for scrap. Why couldn't a city buy it and use it to house the homeless, for instance?

But when you get right down to it, they are too expensive to modernize and maintain.

Warships aren't built for energy efficiencies, for instance. Heating and airconditioning costs would be prohibitive.

And berthing is not built for luxury. Older ships have a lot of asbestos and other toxic materials that laws require be removed. It would take a considerable investment to reconfigure the ship to make it safe under building codes and comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May be some crazy Swedish guy will turn this old thing into a floating Hotel? (I don't think its unlikely.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the submariner in charge of the fleet stationed the carriers far enough from the islands that they could not be attacked by enemy aircraft

"The submariner in charge of the fleet" was Admiral Sandy Woodward, whose autobiography '100 days' I read some time ago. He was in charge of the whole British operation (are we allowed to call it a war yet?)

Yes, he stationed the fleet way east of the battle zone so it wouldn't unnecessarily be a target, and only sent vessels in when they had a specific job to do. It was a sound tactical decision, but he came in for some sniping as a result (the rumor went around that he would be awarded the South Africa Star. Oooooh - bitch!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Horse wrote:

It was always a stirring sight to see one of these carriers docked at Rosyth across the estuary from Edinburgh. Unfortunately HMS Ark Royal is being paid off too thanks to the spending cuts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11907860

I think I find this one even sadder given her venerable name (even though she's not a Falklands veteran). There's talk that one of the new QE class carriers might actually be given the Ark Royal name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
Sky Horse wrote:

It was always a stirring sight to see one of these carriers docked at Rosyth across the estuary from Edinburgh. Unfortunately HMS Ark Royal is being paid off too thanks to the spending cuts:

I think I find this one even sadder given her venerable name (even though she's not a Falklands veteran). There's talk that one of the new QE class carriers might actually be given the Ark Royal name.

The current Ark Royal was preceded by the Audacious class Ark Royal and was originally called the Indomitable. So it wouldn't be unprecedented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
Sky Horse wrote:

I hadn't heard that rumour that Prince of Wales might be renamed as a new Ark Royal - very interesting. Initially, serving members of the RN were asked for suggesions as to the naming of the new supercarriers. After ideas such as HMS Deathstar the Admiralty decided to choose names previously carried by RN warships. Can't think why...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to preserve mothballed vessels as "museums" is also fraught with problems. While some would welcome them in their midst, the residents and businesses of most port-side communities tend not to approve the zoning ordinances to allow a hulk to ruin their waterfront property values. The big ships block lines of sight of businesses and homes for miles and these issues are contested. The ships are also loaded with environmental clean-up requirements that must be met to make them inhabitable. Also, mitigating rust and corrosion introduced into the local ecosystem is well nigh impossible. Vessels are still owned by the U.S. Navy but are available for long term loan to communities and non-profits that can demonstrate a fiscal ability to maintain the vessel so that it doesn't become a rusting menace and these custodian organizations must pass an inspection and financial audit each year. Also, the city or port authority where the vessel is berthed typically enters into a lease agreement with whomever is managing the vessel and sometimes these agreements are onerous, sometimes around $30K per month or more. This is a lot of revenue that a museum has to generate just to sit there. There are successful naval vessel museums (i.e. Midway in San Diego or Intrepid in New York come to mind) but these are in large market areas. Here in the S.F. Bay Area we have the U.S.S. Hornet berthed in Alameda. The management and volunteers do a great job keeping the ship in shape for visitors, but I know they struggle with various problems. They keep the endeavor going because they love the ship and they want to preserve it. Many naval museums lanquish in smaller markets. It's too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyGazer wrote:
Trying to preserve mothballed vessels as "museums" is also fraught with problems.....

So true. I'm watching what's happening in my neck of the woods with the USS Olympia, which is almost sinking at her moorings as we watch. The USS Olympia was discussed previously here at BGG.
Maybe they should have auctioned her off to someone who would take care of her?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I wish I had the money to waste.... Some rich ponce should buy it and drop it in a paddock and turn it into a museum, paintball course, hotel, restaurant, whatever!

I just hate seeing these go back into "scrap metal!" soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.