Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fun [+] [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated in the Review. The rules of this game are very fluid. This game is the epitomy of gaming through oral tradition.

The basis of this is that you learn the rules by playing the game. (You may learn enough rules to win, but who is to say whether you learned ALL the rules.) Also since the game is not as much fun after the rules have been learned, this game is not again played until you find another group of people who have not played the game. Then you have to try to remember to the best of your ability the rules you learned once and have mostly forgoten. Hense you will be likely to make up differnt rules. Which is why this game does not have a clear formal deffinition of rules.

But it can still be a fun game... the first time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:The Rules
Melsana (#458520),

Quote:
This game is the epitomy of gaming through oral tradition

Isn't this game the _antithesis_ of gaming through oral tradition? The epitome of gaming through oral tradition would be a game that it deliberately taught and orally explained - Euchre is a game that is commonly locally-evolved through oral tradition (in my area, 6-hand 3-joker Euchre is unusually popular).

Mao is not deliberately taught; as a matter of rule, it is not orally explained at all!

And, from what I've seen, the only people who _don't_ have fun are the frustrated first-time players. They get their fun when they play the second time and get their chance to torture some hapless first-timers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the only time it was REALLY fun was when I was first learning it -- figuring out the rules is the fun part, everything else is largely silliness...

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You do have rules which allow the adding of new rules yes? If you have it that someone "wins" by getting rid of all their cards, allow them to make up a rule, whereby there is fun in figuring out the new rules, and the consequences of the rules themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ree Linker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, we play this game quite differently where I'm from. Here are our rules:

The game begins with only a few rules: no speaking during play unless someone has requested a "point of order" (all players lay down their cards and talking commences until "end point of order" is called), cards are laid as in the game Uno or Crazy 8s.

When a player uses all the cards in their hand, they have won the round. They are now the dealer, and they make up a new rule. This new rule is not discussed before play commences. Inevitably, someone will break the rule and be penalized with an extra card from the deck. Point of order is called and the rule is explained.

Every time a round ends, the winner makes a new rule. Rules are additive, and it can be quite a trick to keep track of them throughout the game.

Rules can be:
- Based on the playing of a specific card (or cards) - ex: every time a heart is played, you must sneer at the person on your left.
- Relevant to some other aspect of card play - ex: when a red card is played on a black card, the direction of game play reverses.
- Relevant to your surroundings - ex: everytime a car drives by outside, all players must put their hands to their noses. Last person to do so collects a card

Really, there is no limit to the kind of rules you can make. Playing this game with fun and imaginative people can be amazingly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I keep learning new rules to this game.

The last rule I learned? You're not allowed to say the name of the game when talking in casual conversation. Silly, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/point of order

Discussing the rules is against the rules. You all get a card.

/point of order over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point of Order
We used to play this game at least once a week when I was in high school. Generally in the crowded cafeteria with some of the odd rules that arose such as proposing to the nearest person whom you do not know their name when playing a red queen.

Anyway, because of the viral nature of Mao so many rules are fluid. We played with what we called a basic seven rules (which added more to ten or eleven) each game such as the classic 'have a nice day' and spades say their name. I was shocked the other day find out that others played that anyone can end a p of o (not just the Mao) or that you can't say p of o in a p of o. unless it is preceded by an 'end' to actually end point of order. .... mmmm ..... (can't talk)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.