Subject: Played My First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff H

Greeneville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Memoir '44 arrived today. After supper tonight, I set up the first scenario. My boys (7 and 8) flipped a quarter to see who got to play which side. Assuming we played correctly, (I find when playing a game for the first time, I usually make a lot of mistakes) the Germans and my 7 year old, won the battle. I have a lot to learn but I think I am really going to like playing this game. Now I just need to find somebody older to play with so I don't have to break up the kids every time somebody wipes out the other person's platoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download the Memoir Online game, then send out some challenges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff...first off, thanks for playing games with your kids! We need that next generation of wargamers populated! (Assuming they survive their own in-fighting, of course.)

If the boys have the patience for it, have them switch sides after that first game and play the same scenario again or take a break and THEN switch sides. Might "even things out" a bit.

I'm not getting into the on-line version yet as it's the Beta version and I'm not willing to take the risk to my computer. I'll get on board later.

Hope you find an opponent! M'44 is a terrific game and the expansions add a LOT to it!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H

Greeneville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were mad they didn't get to use tanks. Next scenario will have to have tanks. I have been looking at the online version but after only one game, I am not ready. Still learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Taylor
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Germans won for the first scenario, your 7 year old is either incredibly lucky or a military genius. Maybe you shouldn't give him tanks. Or I'm an idiot. Either way, glad to hear your kids like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the kids are young, let them win a few whilst suggesting the occasional move to help them. You win cos you get a lifelong gaming partner.

If they are 10 or more, explain each of your moves as you make it... they probably won't appreciate you trying to help on their turns :0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Beware!!!!
Not all experience players enjoy playing against new players/rookies that doesn't know all the rules yet/correctly. At least that was my first impression at Vassal and I can't imaging it being different with M44 Online!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

Beware!!!!
Not all experience players enjoy playing against new players/rookies that doesn't know all the rules yet/correctly. At least that was my first impression at Vassal and I can't imaging it being different with M44 Online!

This can be a problem on VASSAL, but Memoir'44 Online will enforce the rules. So rather than making rule mistakes those games will be easy victories for the experienced player.

Edit: and if I may count myself and an experienced player, I don't mind playing noobs on VASSAL that want to learn, and learn the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played maybe 30 matches of Memoir 44 FTF and 20 matches of Memoir 44 on Vassal and thought Vassal was really good, with polite and friendly opponents.

Memoir 44 online is an order of magnitude better,even in Beta

It is a great way to play solo to get used to the 'boardgame' rules, and there seems to be a good number of people to play with.

I didn't read the online rule at all, and the only tricky bit I found was understanding the need to click 'done' after assigning all orders.

I got six games in online last night. Outstanding.

Less than half an hour per game.

PM me and I'd be happy to help you with the online play.

Regards,

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Memoir 44 online is an order of magnitude better,even in Beta"

>>>>>>>

I agreed with everything you said apart from that one sentence.

M44 onlie is good, no question. It's ingot system is flawed though.

But by the time you've used up your free credits it gets very boring playing the same 12 scenarios over and over again. It can only improve though.

HOWEVER... playing an overlord format battlemap with painted minis is an order of magnitude better than M44 online, even when palyed solo.

To me, M44 online is the microwave meal as opposed to the full Sunday lunch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Phil,

Ho ho!

I agree that nowt beats an ovelord face to face match. In fact I have one scheduled for next Sunday.

BUT the M44 online game is just great for now.

I'm not talking about the commercial exploitation models and so on, just the beauty of the execution of the base M44 game.

Simple and fun.

Regards,

fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
HOWEVER... playing an overlord format battlemap with painted minis is an order of magnitude better than M44 online, even when played solo.

To me, M44 online is the microwave meal as opposed to the full Sunday lunch

Absolutely!!!
Painted miniatures ROCKS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.