Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three questions:

* In our game this weekend, one player commented that it seemed like the order to select new genes (Decending order) favored those in the lead. He indicated since he was trailing, that the genes he needed were purchased by the leaders and commented that the order should be Acending order. Comments?

* Struggle for Survival: "If the attack is successful, the other amoeba is removed. The attacker then eats but does not excrete as normal. Instead, one foodstuff cube of each color is placed in that space."

Does that mean:
- Other Amoeba dies, essentially replaced by 2 cubes each, of which 1 of each is eaten by the attacker, leaving essentially 1 piece of excretion? (i.e. BBYYRRGG -> BYRG)
or
- The other amoeba dies, replaced by BYRG, and the attacker is considered fed? This confuses me.
or
- (Text taken literally) The other amoeba dies, the attacker MUST find a way to eat what is there with no changes, and then one of each is is left behind? Odd.

* If You STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE, and I have ESCAPE, you can use HOLDING to follow me, but you cannot eat my amoeba then. However, you can eat in that space if available foodstuff is there. (This appears to be what the FAQ says. Do I understand it correctly?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon T
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Gene Selection Order, Struggle for Suvival
sbabcock (#458826),

I believe the "descending order chooses genes" rule's intent is to reward those who are in the lead. However since those behind move & feed first AND skip over score markers when they move ahead, they can both screw the leaders for food as well as catch up faster.

Answer is A. When Struggle for Survival takes a victim the normal starvation death rules do not apply. The attacking amoeba has used the amoeba as part of its nourishment, and therefore "one foodstuff cube of each color" is left behind, not consumed by the attacker. Additionally the attacker does not excrete.

Answer is yes. The Holding former SfS attacker may attempt to eat in the new cell but not re-attack. It is still possible that he starves in the new space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In our game this weekend, one player commented that it seemed like the order to select new genes (Decending order) favored those in the lead. He indicated since he was trailing, that the genes he needed were purchased by the leaders and commented that the order should be Acending order. Comments?

Bear in mind that the selection of genes may be influenced by other peoples choices. The most obvious example being if the leader picks SfS, by picking afterwards, you have the opportunity to pick defense straight away. Personally, I doubt this outweighs the improved chances of getting the advanced genes that picking first offers, but it is certainly something to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.