United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
as the subject says, i'm looking to buy a game for 2 or more players. it has to be a card game because that's all i can afford.

i have been looking at jambo and san juan. what else is out there might be fun? it doesn't have to fit with those two, for example i've also been looking at the dungeoneer series.

any ideas? i have bang, but that's more of a group game. and i'm just not sure i want to get bohnanza. what you think, geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
6 Nimmt! (Category 5) has good strategy, is medium on luck, and overall excellent and highly scalable 2-10 players. Coloretto is a light romp for 3-5. More luck, but still fast and fun. San Juan is very good as well. If you are a fan of Puerto Rico (or are looking for a lighter alternative) you won't be disappointed. Finally, I have to make sure to recommend Bohnanza. It's one of the best set collection / trading games out there. I can never get over the point at which people realize that you can give cards away. It always becomes a bit more frantic and fun as the game progresses. The most expensive of the 4 is San Juan at $18 (maybe less if you shop around the web a bit). The most expensive of the other 3 is Bohnanza at a "whopping" $12 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan for a deeper game. Jambo only plays 2. Citadels might be a lighter game for a family atmosphere. Babel - confrontational. Lost Cities - light but fun/easy game. But for a family game, Bohnanza - great family game for a bunch of players - and some expansions if you need some twists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, couple more:

Colossal:the arena - not much confrontation - some bluff, lots of strategy.
Plays 2-6 players and can be fun in a bigger group as well as 2.

Katzenjammer blues - bidding in a strategic way, scoring in a unique way that hurts you for using too many wild cards.

Saga - kind dry, but some players really get into it. Easy concepts to grasp.

Oh, Pharoah. Fun, family game, nothing too deep. Kids can figure it out easily after a short summary. Some confrontation, but nothing you can't "get them back" in the next turn. And it doesn't hurt you very much when they take a piece from your pyramid.

King's breakfast: very light card game. Can play it with anyone.

Galloping pigs: Nice quick filler, using leapfrog techniques with pigs, how can you go wrong with that?

Frank's Zoo - my wife liked it, but it was a simple "Egyption-Rats-Crew" game with animals instead of suits and numbers.

Gold Digger - light stratgetic (bluff the way we play it) game. We hide the gold cards when they are places till the end. Makes for a funny ending at times. Less strategy this way, but nice family style this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mamma mia is a great filler game that plays 2-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get Avalon Hill's Atlantic Storm. It scales from 2-6, and I enjoy it immensely. Of course, since price may be an issue, you can get a free version of the game that uses the same system. It's called House of Horrors, from www.thalcos.com. Print it out on card stock, cut 'em out, insert in some card sleeves, and your good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is good for any number of players from 2 to 7.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/478

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is one of the best I know of.

Also, check out this list I did. These are all cheap games, mostly card games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval Battles from Phalanx Games. Scales well from 2-6. Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 words:

Colossal Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't fear German text, Verrater is pretty good [though emphatically /not/ a light game]; I'm told its younger brother Meuterer is also decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everyone, i'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Money!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/125

This is a wonderful Reiner Knizia card game for 3-5 players. It plays just fine with 2 as well, just use 3-4 of the 7 different currencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.