Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that Hasbro believes that the best answer to people making online versions of their games is to send them cease-and-desist letters:

http://www.e-scrabble.com/desist.html

After playing full games at BSW and the Days of Wonder website, and then buying 4 or 5 of them, I don't think that Hasbro is making a good choice in this matter. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
United States
New Yource
New York
flag msg tools
You know I agree -- I suspect most people on this site would.

However, with that said, the difference between BSW and other sanctioned sites is that Hasbro actually direct markets a computer version of Scrabble. In that limited sense, I can see the point of the cease and desist.

Its sad -- I'm less pleased with Hasbro as time wears on. I think they're handling of Betrayal is asinine and stingy; more to the point, they should reprint, at least, the one misprinted tile and offer it to people with SASE. And while thats a digression, all talk of Hasbro leads me to that bitter path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
shhblankbigblankbrotherblankisblankwatching

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noctua wrote:
However, with that said, the difference between BSW and other sanctioned sites is that Hasbro actually direct markets a computer version of Scrabble. In that limited sense, I can see the point of the cease and desist.

BSW is paid by the publishers to host their games. They are allowed to use the images from the games.

If Scrabble is really just copyrighted, then they should be able to make original graphics and use another name to avoid legal issues. Hasbro has money though, and they could harrass e-scrabble into bankruptcy even with no grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
theblankfirstblankruleblankofblankscrabbleblankis:
dontblanktalkblankaboutblankscrabble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RULES LAWYERS
From the law firm of Pattyson, Belksnore, Power & Bonny, LLP

Dear Aldie & Derk:

We are counsel for Hasborg, Inc. (Hasborg), the owner of the copyrights and trademarks in the United States and Canada for the SQUABBLE crossword game. We have recently become aware of your electronic Squabble tiles available at www.boardgamegeek.com.

The SQUABBLE game tiles are the copyrighted property of Hasborg. Your unauthorized use of the SQUABBLE game tiles constitutes copyright infringement in violation of 17 U.S.C. 501. Your unauthorized use of the SQUABBLE tiles and pictures also violates the trademark laws, including 15 U.S.C. 1114(1) and 1125(a), by creating a likelihood of confusion with respect to Hasborg's authorization or sponsorship of or association with your commercial activities.

On behalf of Hasborg, we therefore demand that you provide us with prompt written assurance that you will dismantle BoardGameGeek website and not publish or distribute the game tiles and pictures referenced above, or any other game without Hasborg's permission, as we are planning to buy all game companies nationwide, then trademarking the terms "toys", "games", and "American crap".

Because the www.boardgamegeek.com URL is of no use to you, it should be transferred to Hasborg. We also demand that you provide us with information concerning the extent of your uses of any elements of the SQUABBLE game tiles, as well as information regarding the distribution of your electronic rules, pictures, reviews, etc., to enable us to assess more precisely the extent of the damage done.

Please provide us with the requested information, as well as your written agreement to cease and desist from further unauthorized uses of the SQUABBLE tiles and crossword game elements, as soon as possible and in any event within ten days. This letter does not purport to be a complete statement of the facts or the law and is without prejudice to Hasborg's legal and equitable rights.

Very truly yours,

Naymo Mittid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge thread about this over at Slashdot:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/22/0149222.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasbro also had BSW remove Acquire two years ago... it's not uncommon. Why shouldn't they issue a 'cease and desist' order? Scrabble IS their property. If it were yours, wouldn't you like to protect it, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES, they have the right to stop him, but do they have the BRAINS to HIRE him? Every year or two they publish another of their own inferior versions of internet Scrabble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why shouldn't they issue a 'cease and desist' order? Scrabble IS their property. If it were yours, wouldn't you like to protect it, too?

Jim nailed it, in my opinion. Probably the site's biggest mistake was using the Scrabble (registered trademark of the Hasbro Corporation) name. That implies endorsement. When I first saw this thread, I assumed Hasbro had been operating an online Scrabble site and was closing it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can see them getting dinged for trademark infringement. But you can't copyright an idea of a tile-laying word game. You can copyright the letter of the rules, but not the implementation. (That would require a patent.) Hasbro claims that the pattern of the board (where the TWS, TLS, DWS, DLS spaces are) are copyrightable. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say that is questionable. It sounds more like a patentable thing to me. And to my knowledge, they haven't patented bubkes.

Trademark infringement? Yep. They should make up something and change the name to that. (Make sure it's not trademarked, first! Then trademark it yourself.)

But Hasbro is big, and they have a big expensive lawyer brigade. So, they will undoubtedly win. Everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As much of a nuisance as this is, Hasbro did provide the handy service of providing a legal reference that BGG might want to follow up on...

Additionally, under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. 1125(d), any individual who registers or uses a domain name that is identical to, confusingly similar to, or dilutive of a distinctive or famous trademark with the bad faith intent to profit from that mark may be subject to civil liability.

Widderich and boardgamegeeks.com... see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Widderich and boardgamegeeks.com... see that?

Have Derk and Aldie trademarked BoardGameGeek? If not, they should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim_P wrote:
Hasbro also had BSW remove Acquire two years ago... it's not uncommon. Why shouldn't they issue a 'cease and desist' order? Scrabble IS their property. If it were yours, wouldn't you like to protect it, too?

What are they protecting? eScrabble isn't making money off of the Scrabble name, and Hasbro doesn't have a pay-to-play online version out, right? So they're trying to stop someone from using Scrabble for no profit and in a way they're not intending to use it? Yeah, that's a reasonable position for Hasbro to have. Give me a break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
check this out:

http://www.darwinawards.com/misc/copyright.html

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim_P wrote:

They have all the right to do it according to US law. I never denied that. My point is that from my POV, going straight to e-scrabble and telling them to shut the whole thing down is not in Hasbro's best economic interest. There are all kinds of licensing avenues that would help increase revenue while also helping PR.

If Hasbro's only reasoning was 'because we can', no wonder they are printing roll & move games under the Avalon Hill brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALLblankYOURblankBASEblankAREblankBELONGblankTOblankUS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.