Sander
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
1) Formatting helps organize content. I try to include several different categories in my reviews, and find reviews that have bold/colored headers or categories clearly formatted makes it easier to read. I can find information I want easily, and helps break up clutter to make the chunks more digestable.

That!

As a newcomer I read a lot of reviews, because I have no idea which games I might like.

The thing that annoys me most about reviews is that only about 1/3 of them are well formatted.
People hate reading long bits of text.

In my opinion a good review most of all includes:
- Exctinctive titles (e.g. bold, bigger font, color, ...)
- Pictures
- Easy to find conclusion

The best reviewer in my opinion is
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

And an example of a very good review would be this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/328797/kingsburg-a-detailed-...

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interests > Animals > Birds > National > Canada >
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of big pictures breaking up the text of a review; if I want to look closely at a picture, I'll click on it. I use the default geekimage size in my reviews.

I had half an article on writing reviews in my head a while back, but then came to think that people didn't really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't get the Dane Peacock top three reviewers article to load, so here is the link that worked for me:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3257/top-three-plus-bonus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluenose wrote:
I get the impression as well that a lot of reviewers tend to review games that they like; we need more negative reviews! I've bought games based on eulogies only to be disappointed with the final result.
I think this is valid to a point. Many would agree that one should play a game multiple times before reviewing it. For a particularly horrid game, I would not wish that sort of anguish upon anyone.

In this case I see two dominant results. 1) A review based on limited plays, and 2) No review at all. The former many could argue is invalid because "they didn't give it a chance," or some such thing. But isn't the fact that it wasn't worth giving it a chance add validity to the review? The latter just takes the former to the extreme; the game wasn't even worth the time to say how bad it was. And that's how I interpret an absence of reviews. If there isn't anything good said, then there must not be anything good to say.

Now if we're talking about a game with an abundance of overly positive reviews and you find it to be the worst form a bile, then I think it behooves you to express your opinion post haste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How/where do I submit a game review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
How/where do I submit a game review?
Go to the game page. Look in the forums. Post the review to the Reviews subforum.

It's a good idea to take your time and compose the review in a text editor or as a GeekMail (GM) message. Keep in mind that you'll have to use BGG forum formatting eventually; that's the same as GM formatting, but unlike anything else.

See page one of this thread for suggestions on making a better review. Look in the game page gallery for pictures you can use to keep your review from being a "wall of text".

Thanks for reviewing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you want to link to an off-site review like a blog entry, go to the game page, look for the "Web Links" box, click "Add Link" and fill in some forms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the "Review Manifesto" linked in the OP is no longer there. Here's a copy from the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20130512032754/http://www.gamereport.com/tgr24/randomdraw.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a review going through geekmod with a note from the publisher still attached at the bottom about the possibility of winning prizes if you post a review of their game on the web. That's the new manifesto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I spent hours writing a review. I submitted it and it said that it would be pending. However when I go to my contributions in my account and look at board game reviews it says 0 reviews and 0 pending. Did my review not go through? It's okay if it didn't because I saved it in Google Docs anyway just in case but I don't know if I should resubmit or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
yatescory wrote:
Yesterday I spent hours writing a review. I submitted it and it said that it would be pending. However when I go to my contributions in my account and look at board game reviews it says 0 reviews and 0 pending. Did my review not go through? It's okay if it didn't because I saved it in Google Docs anyway just in case but I don't know if I should resubmit or not.

It should be fine. I don't think the 'pending' total has ever worked for me. Plus these days it can take days for a review to pass through the congested colon of Geekmod. Don't resubmit it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

If it's for Keyflower, then it is still going thru the Geekmod process

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |