Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules for the game are now available:

http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/seiten/0261_r2_g.pdf

Since they are in German i don't know what the changes are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Re:New Rules
GeoMan (#459583),

I believe they didn't actually make any changes to the rules. It's just a rewrite to make the rules a bit more understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Horsham
W.Sussex
flag msg tools
GeoMan (#459583),

Having compared the two versions, these are the only differences I can see:
-In Phase III, you cannot offer your daughter in marriage to one of the sovereigns of Trier, Koln and Mainz.
-References to p7 on p4 corrected to p8.
-You can promote a sovereign to emperor, but only if you have no barons elsewhere on the board.
-This isn't a change, but note that there is an Emperor election example on p5 (not translated in the v1.1 translation on the Geek) that makes it clear that the Emperor player does not get a vote for the Emperor himself.
-If the Emperor is killed off by the medicine card, he must be immediately replaced as in Phase II.
-When the sovereign of Trier uses his privilege, he doesn't take the card that he has re-used and put it in front of him. Note that there is no suggestion in the rules that you can't re-use a card that you originally took yourself.
-It is made even clearer that the Koln privilege does not allow you to make one of your own barons or one of your own couples older. Note that the German wording appears to allow you to make one of your opponents' barons or couples younger (presumably this is to stop an opponent deliberately killing off a sovereign in order to get 2 more victory points by replacing him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Cox wrote:
Having compared the two versions, these are the only differences I can see:
-This isn't a change, but note that there is an Emperor election example on p5 (not translated in the v1.1 translation on the Geek) that makes it clear that the Emperor player does not get a vote for the Emperor himself.

I believe this example is in error. Note that the example at the top of page 5 is also in error (says Green has a city, but in the illustration Green doesn't), so it wouldn't be the only error in the examples.

I believe it's an error because the rules (RGG) explicitly state that the emperor must vote for himself:
The current Emperor and the rival must each vote for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc (#465232),

I think you are confusing two different issues.

True, the Emperor player must vote for himself and not his rival.

But, when counting the number of votes that are used, the actual emperor tile does not give the emperor player a vote, since he is not an elector.

mintcamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Horsham
W.Sussex
flag msg tools
curtc (#465232),
I disagree. My interpretation of the RGG rule is that the player who controls the Emperor must use the votes of his sovereigns to vote for himself to remain as Emperor. Otherwise you would have to explain why the wording doesn't also imply that the challenger gets a vote as well, even if he does not control any sovereigns. Of course, if it was the intention of the wording to imply that, then the two votes would cancel each other out, so it wouldn't matter whether the two protagonists had votes or not.
Consequently, I believe the example to be correct.

Regarding the example at the top of page 5, in the German rules Green clearly does have a city. Perhaps the error is in the RGG rules (of which I don't have a copy)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Vosper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Cox (#466993),

I was just checking over the rules v1.1 and there is a discrepancy on the Brandenburg privilege. These rules state that the new aristocrat that gets brought on in phase V may not become elector or emperor, while the RGG rules state that the new aristocrat may. Does anyone know the intent here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
I have an clarification on Steve Coxs note, that the Arch Bishop of Cologne (Köln) can probably make an baron or couple younger. This is not possible. The German FAQ's state clearly, that the Cologne privilege is used just as the Medicus AC:

Make an own baron (or couple) younger, make an opponents baron (or couple) older.

@Bob Vosper
The germnan V1.1 rules and my old version of the rules are stating, that the baron gained through the Brandenburg privilege can NOT become elector or Emperor. So it seems, there is no discrepancy betweem the old and the new rules. Perhaps this is an mistake in the old RGG-Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.