Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Lunch Money» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played this game for the first time last night. We got through about 6 games of it in just over an hour. WOW. That was cool.

Here's a game that's given both HIGH and LOW ratings seemingly for the same reasons. Truth be told it is for the same reasons.

Lunch Money is a game that simply WILL NOT appeal to everyone. Those who detest luck based games....stay far, far away as everything is based on card draw. You will be hit and there will be times when nothing in your hand can stop it. Players who do not like player elimination stay even further away, as that is the main goal of the game....eliminate other players to win. Players who don't like games that encourage ganging up on a single player stay furthest away of all. It's not a rule or anything but it's human nature. There is even 1 card that does extremely encourage this type of play.

HOWEVER those of us who are into violent and senseless acts grab a copy and enjoy! Fans of Quintent Tarentino or Guy Ritchie films, see this as a story by them based on a playground. Players who revel in the "Take that" type of game stand proud with a fist full of Lunch Money cards THIS IS YOUR GAME!

I guess the one thing that appeals most to me is the speed of the game. Bam, bam, bam, done. It's a great little game that can be played on your lunch break several times and still is fun enough to bring out at a game night and toss around with several people.

Bottom line here is know the game before you buy but more importantly know the type of gamer YOU are before you buy. If you are into this type of dark material have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Harrop
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
I finally tried the game last night. There were four of us and we played twice, the same person winning both games. Next time no mercy.

We agreed that the game is fun but the design is flawed. I like the image of school girls bullying up on each other, but the language of the game completely works against that theme. Some of the names of the cards, like Uppercut, Uppercut Squared (lame!), Chain, Pipe and especially Pimp Slap make me think of street hoodlums, not schoolgirls. Better would be things like Scratch or Rake, Hair Pull etc. After reading the description on the package I expected psychological cards, but the only one is Humiliation; there's no Taunt or Insult to inflict psychic damage.

I could do without the quotations as well, e.g., "I'm in my happy place. ARE you?" So what? What's amazing are the photographs! These girls, or is it really just the photographer's single daughter, are incredible, and the presentation of the photos are quite disturbing. THAT makes for a powerful deck of cards, a work of art, as haunting as it is. Unfortunately someone added lame quotes which rob the players of their imagination, and completely weakens the effect of the imagery. Hey, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

As for the game mechanics, I liked it, we had fun playing once we didn't need to pass around the instructions so much.

Another point: what about the damn lunch money? The rules say to use coins or anything else for counters, which represent HIT POINTS. Why not, duhh, I dunno, represent *lunch money*? Does the game work if a victim loses her counters TO THE ATTACKER? Meaning, you may start with 15 counters but you could rake in more as you beat on the other players, taking theirs. Has anyone tried this?

th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bandit Ripshawd
United States
Sioux Center
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
tharrop wrote:
Another point: what about the damn lunch money? The rules say to use coins or anything else for counters, which represent HIT POINTS. Why not, duhh, I dunno, represent *lunch money*? Does the game work if a victim loses her counters TO THE ATTACKER? Meaning, you may start with 15 counters but you could rake in more as you beat on the other players, taking theirs. Has anyone tried this?

The point of the 'Lunch Money' in the game is just for thematic purposes. That gives a reason for the fight. If a player dies, the person dealing the death blow collects that person's Lunch Money... basically, last one standing will win.

As for gaining HP when attacking another player, that does make for a long game and a game where the big get bigger and the weak get weaker... imagine a 4 player game... 60 HP out there... when you are down to 2 players, that's 30 HP a piece, _not_ including those gained from First Aid cards... so, you are in an epic duel with 40+ HP a piece by the end, most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Cziner
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I can imagine a variant, tough, where players collect coins they have taken from another player in a seperate pile. At the end of the game, there are two winners, the last girl standing, and the one who caused the most pain to the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.