Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Deadwood Studios USA» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not one to just go around bashing a game, as I love so many different types of games. I try and give all games a fair shake and be honest that even if I don't like the theme or maybe the mechanics don't fit my personal gaming style it's still not a bad game.

Deadwood is a bad game.

I got suckered and feel it my duty to write this review to simply say BUYER BEWARE! I'm certain there are people out there who like this game. (None of them are in my gaming group however.) There has to be, because there are people out there who like Yahtzee and with as much dice rolling as you do in this game that's the best compaison I can make...except by comparison Yahtzee is extremely fun, superbly challenging, immensly strategic and borderline euphoric.

The game has one plus and that's the interesting mechanic of the cards sliding on the board. I did think that was pretty neat...but still did not make the game fun in any fashion. The endless rounds of roll dice, nothing happens, roll dice, nothing happens, roll dice, Bob earns $1, roll dice nothing happens. It wears a player down to the point that despite the fantastic theme of the game there is no fun left.

I truly feel this game could be overhauled into a good game. It doesn't appear that Cheapass has any intentions of this however. I've played other Cheapass games and had fun. I've played other Cheapass games and not had that much fun. This is the bottom of the barrel as far as my Cheapass experience goes. Think twice before you pick this one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
thoia (#459978),

You know what? I actually like this game. In fact, my whole gaming group does. If I had to pick my favorite Cheap Ass game, this one might come up on top (I also like Unexploded Cow, and Kill Doctor Lucky is O.K.).
I want to put this in context... my favorite games are T&E, Princes of Florence and El Grande. This is silly filler for sure, but compared to many games of this type, this game has many advantages over the competition:
1) The cards and situations are actually funny
2) It's pretty short
3) Your decsions really matter (sure, there is lots of die rolling, but you decide which roles to take on based on the odds, and the "acting ability" level adds some strategy.
4) There is opportunity to mess up other player's plans.

Okay, it's not a classic, but I'll take this one over many others!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Re:User Review
thoia (#459978),

I have to say that I like this game too, although I'll also have to disagree with anyone who describes it as "short".

In our experience, the length is the major flaw, although it is likely exascerbated by our house rule of uttering each role's line in character before rolling the dice (we've even occasionally given bonus DRMs to especially in-character attempts).

As with other similar (light, goofily themed) games, playing with the right group is essential. We are contemplating ways to shorten it, as a light goofy game that drags isn't quite as much fun. The rules suggest playing for fewer "days", but doing that basically removes the endgame, so we're pondering other ways to make it progress more quickly.

All that said, we've had a few very enjoyable sessions, complete with milk out the nose due to laughter - I think it's worth working on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm a light goofy game junkie! I've played tons of 'em and still do. Guillotine will always be light years beyond what this game is, it's faster to play, silly, fun and when you consider all the expansions of this Cheapass game Guillotine is cheaper.

Understand that I REALLY wanted to like this. I bought it, I talked it up to my group and we all were pretty disappointed. Mechanics are lost somewhere in this game just dying to come out. I'm sure there's a better way to play this but me...well I've got mine up for trade right now if anyone's interested. Deadwood + ALL the expansions in one set. Prove me wrong and trade some good game of your for this game of mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there *is* a strategy to where you go, how much you can earn, when you should cast, risks, etc. Computer opponents do a good job making me work to keep ahead, or just behind.

(Of course, with computer AI, games of 5-10 minutes for solitaire is a good kind of 'short' game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.