Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Outskirts + Sky + Expansion = Error rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henric Melin
msg tools
Today we played with the kingsport expansion, 5 players.

The monster limit was 8.
and outskirts limit was 3.

Here is what happend.

There was 8 monsters out, not counting thouse in kingsport.
The ones in the sky is counted..

During the mythos phase two flying monsters in kingsport fly to the sky.
These two was not counted towards the monster limit when they where in Kingsport.
But when they flew to the sky the did count towards the monster limit.
So now there was 10 monster on the board..

What should we have done here??

We agreed on that they flied of to the Outskirts, since that was the most logical thing at the moment..
But Im not sure it was the right thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly. Monsters don't count when on the expansion boards. But fliers are the most likely to cross over due to their "attraction" to the sky. If they come to Arkham and the city limit is met, they fly to the outskirt. And if they overflow the outskirt, clear it as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
Thank you very much for the fast reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Beauley
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Same can happen with 'aquatic' monsters moving to The Unnameable or River Docks from Innsmouth or Kingsport aquatic locations. Also, some special monsters (like Hound of Tindalos) can exit an expansion board in pursuit of an investigator and end up in the Outskirts.

One strange circumstance occurs to me: if a Stalker monster (i.e. Rat Thing) is on a street area like Joe Sargent's Bus Service in Innsmouth, and it is called upon to move, and there is an investigator in a corresponding depot space on another expansion board (not Arkham's Train Station due to it's stability as proof against stalker entry), can the Stalker pursue the investigator? I ask this because of the precedent of the Hound of Tindalos example above, which I've seen cited in a few other threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepers wrote:
One strange circumstance occurs to me: if a Stalker monster (i.e. Rat Thing) is on a street area like Joe Sargent's Bus Service in Innsmouth, and it is called upon to move, and there is an investigator in a corresponding depot space on another expansion board (not Arkham's Train Station due to it's stability as proof against stalker entry), can the Stalker pursue the investigator? I ask this because of the precedent of the Hound of Tindalos example above, which I've seen cited in a few other threads.

No. It would move as a normal black border monster. Monsters don't pay attention to depots. And the oft stated ruling about the Hound moving via the rails is most likely going to be incorrect once the full FAQ is official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
Then I have another question that almost similar..

If I am standing in Innsmouth, and there are no gates there, but an effect (from monster or encounter) forces me in to the nerest gate..

Shoudld I count from the depot in Arkham, or just ignore it alltogheter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeSako wrote:

If I am standing in Innsmouth, and there are no gates there, but an effect (from monster or encounter) forces me in to the nerest gate..

You're not a monster, right? So you can trace through a depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MeSako wrote:

You're not a monster, right? So you can trace through a depot.

True.. but its not like Im just taking a walk to the gate.. Im forced through it.

I have a hard time imagineing it like this:

"A strange force is pushing you towards the train statione, forcing you to buy a train ticket and making you wait for the train, once in Arkham the strange force throws you into the nearest gate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion, for what it's worth.
Sometimes, the game must be forgiven for being a game, and having mechanics. Using a player's path of movement is the easiest and most obvious way to determine which is "the closest gate".
Anything else would be pure invention, and a new special rules case. This doesn't mean you necessarily ride the train (or the bus); a horde of nightgaunts may be tossing you hand to hand the whole way, or you may pass through "rounded space", but apparently whatever force compels you overflies the train station en route (or the bus staion, if the nearest gate is on the Innsmouth board and you are not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeSako wrote:
"A strange force is pushing you towards the train statione, forcing you to buy a train ticket and making you wait for the train, once in Arkham the strange force throws you into the nearest gate."

You are not physically moving along the path, just tracing it. There is no other way to determine proximity between boards so the depots become your anchor points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You are not physically moving along the path, just tracing it. There is no other way to determine proximity between boards so the depots become your anchor points.

That makes a lot of sense, but doesn't that argument equally apply to monsters?

If you don't trace monster movement through the depots, how do you count shortest distance for the Hound of Tindalos, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Really it doesn't matter. It's not as if AH is played in tournaments. As long as you do it in a way that satisfies the table, you're fine. I could see Nightgaunts (and other similar effects) sending you to the closest gate as measured by tape measure. I'd be fine with that. As long as the system you use is used consistently, it's just as random as another. Besides, it's not as if the board is to scale or exact spacial orientation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That makes a lot of sense, but doesn't that argument equally apply to monsters?

If you don't trace monster movement through the depots, how do you count shortest distance for the Hound of Tindalos, for example?

That's what I was trying to say earlier. The Hound has followed that as an "unofficial" interpretation. As I have seen the official FAQ, it is most likely not going to remain that way.

So it seems investigators can calculate shortest through depots, but not monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's what I was trying to say earlier. The Hound has followed that as an "unofficial" interpretation. As I have seen the official FAQ, it is most likely not going to remain that way.

So it seems investigators can calculate shortest through depots, but not monsters.

I guess that's what I was after - if you don't trace monsters through depots, what is the alternative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I guess that's what I was after - if you don't trace monsters through depots, what is the alternative?

I can't tell you! NDA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sverre wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I can't tell you! NDA.

use a Gate
use a Location adjacent on the shared board edge
travel in a straight line from A to B counting the named areas passed through

There's loads of ways to do it. Investigators are constrained by travel routes (road, rail, boat) but Monsters aren't. Monsters can travel in a straight line "cross country" or can even use "extra-dimensional" travel (cf The Hound of Tindalos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.