Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of this game last night and I've already logged a few plays. I love the game so far, just not real thrilled with the components. Everything but the dice is warped. Nothing lays flat! The board is warped, the decks are warped (especially the Mythos deck), even the character cards are warped. Not what I had hoped for on a $60 purchase.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this years ago and sold it, but bought a new one just last week, all of the components were perfect and nothing was warped... this one was the 'revised edition' and had a 2010 product catalog in it. Did you maybe get one of the first editions that had been sitting on a shelf in someones garage or something for a few years?

I bet if you contacted Fantasy Flight, you could probably get a new board...

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
I had this years ago and sold it, but bought a new one just last week, all of the components were perfect and nothing was warped... this one was the 'revised edition' and had a 2010 product catalog in it. Did you maybe get one of the first editions that had been sitting on a shelf in someones garage or something for a few years?

I bet if you contacted Fantasy Flight, you could probably get a new board...

D.

This was bought at FFG Event Center and came with a 2009 catalog in it, so it isn't that old. I'll see if I can muster up the effort to take some photos, but it really was the worst warping I've ever seen (worse than foil MTG cards). I know that most boards need a little work to get them totally flat, but combined with the shape the cards were in I just found it really off for FFG's usual exemplary component quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's customer service rep, Thaad, is really good about sending out replacement parts when asked.

I've noticed the more recent expansion cards have a tendency to warp a bit, so maybe they changed printers in the last year or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of the revised edition and it was perfectly flat. Talk to Thadd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
I got my copy of the revised edition and it was perfectly flat. Talk to Thadd.

Cards too? I may send them an email. Hopefully I will have more success this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the whole game is that bad, and you bought it direct from FFG, maybe you can exchange it for a new one?

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitly should send it back. For whatever reasons it sounds like you somehow got one that had been exposed to a fair amount of moisture or humidity before sealing. Pretty unusual and rare I suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely no warping issues with my copy. I bought it about 8 months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Jim Thorpe
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base set and all the expansions and I have no issues with any of the components. I did notice that a few of the character cards were bound a little too tight and had a slight bow in them when I first opened the package but once out of the wrapper and left to sit flat they went flat again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I took a few photos, so you can tell me if I'm overreacting or if this is bad enough to send off an email.

Here's a pic of the front of the board. The top section is the most obvious, but if you look closely you can see that the other sections do not lie flat against one another either.

And here is a shot from the side.

Here is a pic of one of the location cards. I only took the one picture of these, but all of the large sized cards are in similar condition.

Here are the investigator/GOO cards. You can really see it in the shot of the single card, half of it doesn't even touch the table.

So, am I just overreacting or would you contact customer service?

*Edited with real pictures this time!*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully these links will work.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/868883/arkham-horror
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/868887/arkham-horror
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/868884/arkham-horror
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/868885/arkham-horror
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/868886/arkham-horror

My images were all rejected, so I set up a flickr account. The images can be found here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/56880330@N02/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaad rocks period!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't look right at all. My investigator and goo sheets lie perfectly flat, and the board sits tight and flush when open. My Mythos and small investigator cards are in good condition after scores of plays.

My monsters are knicked to hell, and so apparently are everyone else's before long. Oh, and never ever get liquid near your game; the linen finishes of counters will disassociate themselves from their cardboard backing, immediately and completely. But these are minor design flaws common to all copies of the game; your set is broke.

Certainly let Fantasy Flight know. I've never dealt with them directly, but I have never heard anything but praise for their customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fallen wrote:
My images were all rejected...

You could have uploaded them to your Gallery at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/351572. No Geekmoding there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aubigny wrote:
The Fallen wrote:
My images were all rejected...

You could have uploaded them to your Gallery at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/351572. No Geekmoding there.

Yes, I guess I could have. Wish I had found that earlier. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed my photo links, see above. Thanks Aubigny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just fired off an email to FFG support, including a link to the photos, I will keep you fine gentlemen apprised of the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as warped Think of it as non-Euclidean.

EDIT
but best of luck in getting it replaced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grue
United States
SF East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. My components were fine (as far as I could tell) initially, but I finally got them out and played a couple games today, and they seemed to warp before my eyes! They're not quite as bad as yours (yet, maybe), but the board and cards do have a bow to them now. I also notice some portions of the board where it wasn't adhered flat and there are some bubbles. bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no word from FFG yet, but get this, Games Workshop has responded and sent me a fedex label to get my space hulk tiles replaced.

Say what you will about their lawyers, but they are speedy with custserv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought AH about 6 weeks ago. The board only was slightly warped. After sitting out it really warped out. This is in San Diego where the humidity is not high. I emailed FF and they sent me a new board. Very flat, but I haven't used it yet. The warped board I'm going to put under an oversized 1 inch thick wooden board. I'm then going to drive one of my car's tire over it and leave it for about a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grue
United States
SF East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E-mailed FFG, and my replacement board is on its way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let everyone know that I received my replacement parts and they look great. Thanks Thaadd!

Now I just have to wait for my replacement tiles for Betrayal at House on the Hill and for Space Hulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.