Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that coins are not as useful as the other items. Coins are limited to only two uses:

- Allow a certain amount of trade to be retained when a technology is learned
- Economic Victory

To me, it seems as if the amount of coins a civilization has gathered should represent that civilization's industrial/economic potential. This is what led me to this proposal:

In addition to retaining trade from learning technologies, what if the amount of coins gathered also modified a civilization's efficiency to rush production?

This could be a very simple change to the game. Simply allow a civilization to rush production at different exchange rates based upon their current amount of coins.

# of Coins_____Trade : Production
0-4_______________3:1
5-9_______________2:1
10-15_____________1:1

For example, if a civilization currently possesses 7 coins on their dial, they would be able to exchange 2 trade for 1 production rather than the default 3 trade for 1 production.

An expansion could easily accommodate this change as it would simply entail supplying replacement coin dials that included some sort of visual indication at proper intervals; something similar to the roman numerals on the trade dials or the slight color differentiation on the culture track.

The American's special ability of exchanging 3 trade for 2 production still proves useful with this variant until they reach 10 coins. I am not sure their special ability would need to change.

My biggest concern is that this proposal might break such a great game. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but this does screw the Americans. Any civ getting five coins negates the American's advantage.
Take that away and it makes other civ's starting advantages even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I see your point. Any civ reaching 5 coins would be able to exchange 4 trade for 2 production which is probably too close to the American's ability to exchange 3 trade for 2 production.

I guess for this to really work, the American's special ability would have to be subsituted for something else.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coins are the easiest win IMHO, they don't need a boost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
Coins are the easiest win IMHO, they don't need a boost

This argument doesn't quite make sense, as the speed with which one can attain a particular kind of victory isn't directly linked to any secondary bonuses associated with that victory path. If coins really are the fastest way to win, then everyone should just go for a coin victory. You can add as many ancillary bonuses on as you like and it won't change this fact.

As for the American special ability, simply change it to 3:2, 2:2, 1:2.

EDIT: By the way, I like this variant very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When our group plays this, economic victory has been the most frequent method of victory (4 out of 5 times). I don't think it needs a boost. with Code of Laws, Democracy, and Pottery, you can get up to 12 faily easily. Add in Printing Press, great people, Feudalism, or gold on the board and it's not too hard to get to 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some thoughts:

- The game is very balanced now.

- It is *somewhat* complicated as it is, I would NOT want MORE complicated, fiddly rules to be added (which goes double for different version of the rules for Americans)

- Have you playtested it as many times as FFG? I'm generally against Rules Changes or Houserules unless I've played it at least a dozen times (maybe you have already)

- That said, it's your game, change away, as long as you're having fun it's all good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chucker101 wrote:
When our group plays this, economic victory has been the most frequent method of victory (4 out of 5 times). I don't think it needs a boost. with Code of Laws, Democracy, and Pottery, you can get up to 12 faily easily. Add in Printing Press, great people, Feudalism, or gold on the board and it's not too hard to get to 15.

Again, that's not got anything to do with it. There should be an incentive for players who are *not* going for a coin victory to want to acquire coins. At the moment, the only incentive is the bonus trade when researching thing, which is kinda lame (simply acquiring more trade icons is better than acquiring coins). All three other victory paths currently help players who are not pursuing those paths for a win; coins is quite easily the weakest of the four in these terms.

If an economic victory is currently the easiest victory to achieve, then it should either be made that coins are harder to acquire or you need more to win. It has little to do with the ancillary bonuses granted to you by coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you Chris...

Nations that are going for a coin victory are showing their goal from the beginning of the game and could change that with much difficulty. Other tactics are easier to adapt and there is very few advantage for these Nations to acquire a few coins.

We tried many things with limited success:

1- Double research bonus retention (easiest).

2- You cannot acquire more "Hut resources" than the number of coins you have.
- Trading with natives needs money, so it balances bad map position with too few huts.
- A few coins is beneficial to all.
- The coin Nation will not be detected as early.
- Harvesting will be more used from the start instead of gathering and accumulating blindly those huts.
- Attacking Villages will be more inviting.

3- When you harvest with a city, you acquire 1 more available different resource for that city for each 5 coins (advantage to coin Nations along its path).

We'd say that no 2 was our favourite...
Any thoughts...

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still prefer the OP's idea - it's simple and the most thematic.

This and the small variant we used in our last game - coins determine player order - would be enough to make coins attractive to *all* players, not just those going for a coin victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if you want, buy the tech, not sure which one...

for every 3 coins up each of your cities production by one. I also know computers is for every 5 coins something happens.

What you are wanting to do is there in techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirDusk wrote:
if you want, buy the tech, not sure which one...

for every 3 coins up each of your cities production by one. I also know computers is for every 5 coins something happens.

What you are wanting to do is there in techs.

Yes, but the idea is to do something that is *independent* of techs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like each coin counts as a culture or trade spent to move up the culture track and gives a +1 post combat bonus. :D

For me it is culture that is uniquely independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see the point for this rule. If you buy a Tech, you save as much Trade as you have coins. The saved Trade points can be used next turn to hurry production anyway. 6 coins add 2 hammers if you're not American, and in my opinion this is a huge advantage as it is when going for economic victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.