United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lots of stuff of 3rd edition. Two base games, the 5-6 expansion, two Seafarers, Seafarer 5-6 expansion, Cities & Knights, C&K 5-6 player expansion, the river, event cards, extra set of cards and wooden bits for C&K, and supplemented pieces to complete all the sets of all 6 colors, i.e. I have two complete sets (including Seafarers and C&K) of each color. I think I even have several extra tiles I purchased from Mayfair Games. As I said, I have a lot of stuff for 3rd edition.

In the past, I discounted 4th edition because I already had so much for 3rd edition and figured that no one would want 3rd edition once 4th was out. However, I recently noticed some 3rd edition sets selling above their original retail price. So, I have started looking at 4th edition. I like the artwork in 4th edition better. But that alone isn't enough to make me switch with such a large collection of 3rd edition. So, do the rule changes and other pieces improve the game that much?

Is it worthy of the switch? For those who have made the switch, are you happy with 4th edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, the only rules change was the Robber can be placed in a desert hex.

Seafarers
some of the scenarios from 3e are gone, some are new, and some are different. For the latter, New Shores's islands are closer so it'll all fit the more concise frame.

C&K
I do know that the almanac and rules were done to be less ambiguous.

Supposedly, the deeper 4e boxes can allow you to hold more sets and other pieces in there. However, everything is $10 more expensive. OTOH, if you play your cards right, you may be able to sell all 3e sets you have for a very nice price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I am definitely leaning more toward 4th edition. I also really like some of the variants in Trader & Barbarians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd and 4th edition are completely compatible; there's no real reason to switch when you can just add on.

I own all of the 3rd edition stuff plus Traders & Barbarians, which is 4th. Quality-wise, I'd say the 4th edition tiles are thinner than 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't say it, because you'd be wrong. 4e tiles are thicker by one sheet (due to printing on both sides). And as mentioned, T&B is compatible with 3e Catan (everything needed for the scenarios is provided).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall wrote:
I prefer 3rd edition for both the physical components and the graphics.

Not me. I like the top down view on the new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ignac jakovac
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th edition uses thinner cardboard for tiles and the frame. I prefer older editions without frames.
I have a new 4th ed copy (played once) that I would be happy to trade for older used 3rd ed in a good shape.

ig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.