Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking my collectors edition across state lines soon...any ideas for traveling with it? (I do not have the packing box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
If not travelling by air, wrap it tightly with very thick bubble wrap, the ones with bubbles about 1.5" - 2" in size. Put two or three layers around it, for a total of 4" - 6" of padding all around.

If you're travelling by air, you should put the bubble-wrapped package into a suitcase and pad the suitcase with towels so it doesn't slide around too much. Don't make it too tight, though.

You should also put a thin sheet of bubble wrap right inside the front cover, so the thin wood that forms the "pages" doesn't constantly touch the back cover. (what I mean is, look at the Collector's Edition like it's a book. The spine is where the hinge is. On the other side, there's some rather fragile wood that's carved to look like the pages of a book. Don't let this rest on the back cover of the book while you're travelling).

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should hire bearers - octuplets would be ideal. That should inspire the appropriate sense of awe. If you can afford a couple of companies of spearmen to march along, one in the van and one in the rear, so much the better. And Oliphants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be appropriate for a hobbit to bear it with the help of a well-rounded fellowship. Very traditional! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for the advice..I am traveling by SUV...but I do like the bearers idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
If traveling by plane, I would not suggest checking it in since Airport Security opens suitcases and inspect contents. I would ship it via UPS or FedEx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leave the box home and just take the insides in a different box. since the wood box is really the most fragile piece with the easily scratched paint.

felt, then bubble wrap is probably safer if you go that route, since it would not surprise me if the bubble wrap scratches the paint in transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always buckle mine into it's own seat in the car

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgmyers wrote:
Thanks much for the advice..I am traveling by SUV...but I do like the bearers idea...

I've taken my copy out on the road several times, but never long distance. I just wrap the entire box in a piece of flannel and then set it in one half of the clamshell box. It stays snug in my trunk and doesn't slide around.

If you need to pack your vehicle with other stuff, the above packing recommendations should suffice. Unless you're able to recreate the original packaging setup, I'd avoid putting anything with any substantial weight on top of the box you've got your CE in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.