Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(reposted from the Yahoo group)

I really enjoy this game, but sometimes it feels like you are really just getting rolling when the game ends. I would like to see a game where the card combos really start working and it feels like you have established a real space empire of sorts.

For such a game, double the number of factories required to end the game. If you want to pay 5 WT for the game to end, you must have all 6 of your cubes on the board (freighters don't count).

For this game you will need to use the expanded board even for a basic game. Also, do not use the busted mines rule (or you could try it with that rule... I haven't tried this variant so maybe it's ok to leave it in).

Peet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight and it went six hours. That's about the limit for any game I'm playing unless I'm at a con or other special event. I'd only suggest this for players who really know and love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two three-player games so far (well, one started with a fourth player who had to drop out after 2.5 hours), both played to conclusion (built factory end condition) in four hours.

I agree that things just seem to being starting to roll (in terms of black cards and establishing viable shipping routes) when the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Two three-player games so far (well, one started with a fourth player who had to drop out after 2.5 hours), both played to conclusion (built factory end condition) in four hours.

I agree that things just seem to being starting to roll (in terms of black cards and establishing viable shipping routes) when the game ends.

My two and three player games last 2-3 hours usually. 3 hours if my friend who takes a lot of time to plan things every turn is playing. 2 hours otherwise.

They take longer than that when there are newbies still learning the game, but once everyone knows how the game plays, its actually pretty quick for us (if you consider 2-3 hours to be quick).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nice things about High Frontier I've found is that it ends about the right time - if you were to go much longer, the game sorta starts to break. Having more than 3 ET factories really isn't going to help you that much - you can only have one rocket and one outpost, and the person who wins at 3 factories is overwhelmingly likely to be the one who would win if it went to 5 or 6. A combo of two good black cards is powerful enough to start making missions pretty easy and that player should be able to close out the game quickly.

So I think if you're going to double the number of factories required to end, you'll need to flesh out the game more - add rules for a second rocket, more tech, something to allow the other players to catch up, etc. More promising seems like it would be to add just a couple factories and let someone close the game out at 4 instead of 3.

6 hours does seem a bit excessive. Even with new and inexperienced players, my games have topped out at 3. But, and it's a big but, for the game to end somebody has to figure out how the economy works and get things cranking. If everyone in the game is having trouble getting expeditions planned and figuring out how the movement system works, it'll take a while - there is no fixed time end point, you can struggle with it forever. So it really helps to have one player who has read the rules and played a solitaire round or something so he or she knows how to put together a successful mission and so make sure the game will end in a timely manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
drpetrov wrote:

I really enjoy this game, but sometimes it feels like you are really just getting rolling when the game ends.

Yeah, sludge and I felt the same way. I've loved both games so far and they took about 3.5 hours, but we could easily have played on as we felt we were at the brink of even greater solar exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sievert
Sweden
Helsingborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris that it ends about the right time if someone builds 3 factories, but I don't like the 7 factory limit when playin 4-5 players. In our last game I which I won, another player was able to build the 7th factory for several turns but delayed it since it would immediately give the victory to me. But there was no feasible way for that player to progress quicky enought without building that factory.

After waiting a few turns he built it anyway to maximise his own points in the game, and I won. But waiting a few turns more with the build might have given someone else the chance to win (not himself though).

Would it break the game if the total factory limit is removed completely and only paying to end it (owning 3 factories or 2 space ventures) is possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.