Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: The project is finished. Images are composed for about a weekend. The printing & cutting was about two days.

Okay this is nothing really original, the rote sci-fi to fantasy re-theme. I played this game once with a guy from another city. The game is currently too expensive for me, and the theme bothers me (only a little though). So a guy gotta do what a guy gotta do. ninja

Counters

These are 1"x1" counters. And yeah... I feel that they are too busy. I guess I was feeling euphoric at the time.

Map Hexes

Fairly standard re-theme.

Player Aids

One thing that's really nagging me is the fact that dwarf goes before elf. But I prefer to have more forest on the board.

Cards

Energize cards become power cards, mission cards become victory cards, secret mission cards become quest cards. And yes, I didn't think very long for the changes...

And yes, lazy effort on the card backs.

Various Tokens

Various tokens in the game...

I will start the project within the week. Or so... or probably after Christmas... or New Year... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Nexus Ops re-theme...
Looks like a great idea! I'm a big fan of the original, and I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the monolith represent?
Are the mines mines or just influence?

I know the mechanics are the same, I'm just curious how these things fit into the theme. Looks pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Moved to Variants

Thanks sorry for the hassle.

Quote:
What's the monolith represent?
Are the mines mines or just influence?

The monolith is maelstrom, a magical vortex with floating islands above it. It was a little problematic deciding what it is.

At first, I wanted it to be magician's tower, and the energize cards were called spells. But getting spells from losing don't make much sense, and it limits the naming of the cards (the Dwarven Tunnel Assault used to be Mystic Tunnel, didn't like it). Then I was thinking about a lake of glowing magma, with a giant dragon portal in the middle if it. Then I finally set for the simplest. A mysterious lake with magical mumbo jumbo vortex.

The mines are mines. First, I wanted to make them villages & cities. While elves in mines are strange, I think having elves and dwarves as tax collectors or farmers is even stranger.

Quote:
I know the mechanics are the same, I'm just curious how these things fit into the theme. Looks pretty cool.

Yes, the mechanic is 100% the same. At first I was tempted to make variable faction powers (using wonderful sprites from Heroes 3), but I appreciate the game's simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Looks fantastic!! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
The game is currently too expensive for me, and the theme bothers me (only a little though).

So, Sci-Fi bothers you but you like Fantasy?! I have seen the other way around, but this is news to me. To each his own, of course, but I think a big part of the game's appeal is the Sci-Fi theme, not to mention the beautiful translucent miniatures.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic III and immediately recognized the units. You might have used the different dragons and linked them to player colors (red, green, gold and azure dragons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I actually love sci-fi , but not the ones with the (IMO) rather weird rubium critters ninja. But like I said, it only bothers me a little.

Yes, at first I thought at using different colored dragons, but then decided against it for some reasons. Primarily due to consistency (not having the other units with different colors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's going to be finished sooner than later. I've printed all the stuff. I finally decided to make the cards in Indonesian language in order to allow more of my friends to play.

I've cut half of the counters for the units. My fingers hurt, probably due to the non-ergonomic-designed knife that I use...

EDIT: Done! Now off to the gym...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
A LotR-ish retheme. Not bad though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's done. Sorry for the picture quality. The double sided mine & exploration tiles ended up surprisingly well.

ninja
EDIT: Gaaah, I forgot to put in the player aids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like how every single unit is useful.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Owh man, I really respect of what you've done!

Appreciate your hard work dude, well done!!

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that looks pretty slick. I couldn't really see it in my head in the first few posts but it really is nice all laid out like that.

Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great. Any chance of getting a copy of your files to make this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure for making this available online. I made all my files for A3+ prints done in a print shop.

I have to find a solution for different paper usage between US and the rest of the world, and also the right resolution (balancing between crispness and file size).

Right now it's at 300dpi, and they're huge. I'm at limited internet usage here in Indonesia.

And I have plan to upgrade home base region with player colors and an image of a walled city.

I think I will certainly share these files but I'm not sure when (or how exactly to do that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could upload them as a PDF to the file section--there's another Ops retheme there already.

When you make the PDF, you can tell it to be either A3 or Letter or anything else for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably use artscow.com to print this, and uploading the image files to an artscow.com album, which can be "shared", could be a way of making them available. There are some artscow.com file size limitations, so the images may have to be split and/or compressed, but it should be doable.

Others would probably prefer a PDF version. I am not sure how efficiently PDF compresses images, but if the file would be too big for BGG, it could be uploaded to Google Docs or some file sharing website.

If you do not have access to upload large files, I would be happy to help and upload a copy from CD/DVD to somewhere.

In any case, it is probably best to finish any specific changes you have planned before going through the hassle of converting/uploading anything.

I would love a copy of the original Nexus Ops and have been on the lookout for one for some time, but they are even harder to come by in the UK - and I like your more approachable retheme much better than the original, so I am crossing my fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Artscow require cards to be of certain size?

Right now I'm trying to layout the stuff into 8" x 10" paper in PDF format. It's not the most economical way, but people can edit them in graphic program if they require so. But I'll try to make individual cards available for Artscow users too.

The cards I made are sized at mini American cards (1 5/8" x 2.5"), the same as most of Fantasy Flight Games mini-sized cards.

EDIT: I will probably make a thread later if the files are ready for last corrections by BGG-ers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Artscow does not have size requirements for cards, but recommend a minimum of 780 x 1081 pixels for about 300dpi for their 2.5" x 3.5" playing cards. But you can print lower resolutions, too, "at your own risk" - and of course you can print higher resolutions, too (with each uploaded image file seemingly being limited to about 20-25MB). If the images are simply put in an "album" each person can resize and stretch them as they want with or without borders and background colours etc. for their own card deck.

If your cards are 1 5/8" x 2.5" at 300dpi they should be acceptable to simply scale up to be printed as 2.5" x 3.5" Artscow cards, but ideally they should be the full 2.5" x 3.5" at 300dpi if the "original" resolution is that high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas and New Year is delaying the stuff. I'm thinking of counter redesign, making a simpler and cleaner set.

Just played this with 4 last night, and it was AWESOME! I won all my 4 games, so there's definitely tactic (fulfilling cards condition) & strategy (making units suitable for your regions) in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By "counter" do you mean the rubium replacements?

Mebbe make them look like Spanish doubloons but with Mordor writing on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant by counters are the units. I want to simplify it by removing all the icons, and may be just leaving the combat value on it (or not at all). I found that the player aid is immensely useful for the purpose.

I'm not sure about the rubium replacements. I'm thinking that most people would be better off using whatever money tokens they already have from other games. Also, I'm not sure about making round counters, since cutting them is bothersome for most. That's why most of my counters and tokens are square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's why I suggested Doubloons. In theory they should have been round coins, but in practice they almost never were. Here's a nice example: http://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/mc_images/option/2Es...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering Hero's of Might and Magic (where you got the graphics from) have 8 or so different races, you could add a bit more variety to the game by introducing different races, and then giving each race different stats or a special ability.

Infact I'm disapointed that you didn't use different races and just mashed up the characters together into 1 race used by all the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.