Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two other Knizia tile-layers with very similar features were published just a year after the last of this "trilogy" and definitely deserve honorable mention among these games:

Rheinländer
Stephenson's Rocket

In fact, I'd consider T&E, Rheinlander, and Stephenson's Rocket to be more closely related [all taking various parts of Acquire] than T&E, Samurai, and Through The Desert.

The entire "trilogy" features unexpected and intertwining scoring mechanisms, restrictive tile-play, and double actions [except in Rheinlander, and only as a possibility in Samurai].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, I'd consider these to be Knizia's five best games [with Battle Line contending for fifth place to potentially knock out Rheinlander].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for Stephenson's Rocket I've played all these many times. I consider Tigris + Euphrates head and shoulders above the others.

I agree that Rheinlander is a much closer game to T+E than either Samurai or Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
Except for Stephenson's Rocket I've played all these many times.

I find it hard to imagine you'd dislike it, and you'd probably love it. It's a triple-majorities game [three arenas of majority competition], with each one serving as the basis for control of your opponent's incentives. It's ridiculously intertwined in its mechanics and maybe the most obviously Knizia-esque game I've ever played. Can't wait to play it with more than two.

Quote:
I consider Tigris + Euphrates head and shoulders above the others.

I love T&E, but I think I currently have Through The Desert and Samurai rated higher simply because of the strategy they pull out of such "child's play" simple mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And three honorable mentions from the first decade of the century:
Carcassonne: The Castle
Genesis
Jäger und Sammler
None of them is as good as "THE" trilogy but they are solid designs, really good tile-laying family games that also share quite a lot with the trilogy while they are also different enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of similarities between Genesis and T&E and/or Through The Desert, so perhaps it fits.

I don't see how Carc: Castle can be mentioned among these games. I'm struggling to come up with any similarities.

Jager und Sammler is among my highest "want to try" games. It sounds like a Knizia version of Terra Nova / Hey That's My Fish.

Further, it's got the 2-action mechanic and complicated / intricate / intertwining scoring. It seems to fit in the series.

Genesis has strange / interesting scoring, pseudo-collusion, and the potential for a 2-action mechanic, too, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I've heard of similarities between Genesis and T&E and/or Through The Desert, so perhaps it fits.

I don't see how Carc: Castle can be mentioned among these games. I'm struggling to come up with any similarities.

Jager und Sammler is among my highest "want to try" games. It sounds like a Knizia version of Terra Nova / Hey That's My Fish.

Further, it's got the 2-action mechanic and complicated / intricate / intertwining scoring. It seems to fit in the series.

Genesis has strange / interesting scoring, pseudo-collusion, and the potential for a 2-action mechanic, too, correct?

You might be right about Carc: The Castle. I did find some similarities in the endgames of Genesis and Carc: The Castle but not too much between Carc: The Castle and the other games. I guess I listed Carc: The Castle as it's by far my favorite Carc game (the only one I still play and as it's strictly 2-player it's far more strategic and "serious" than the others - because of several other reasons as well.) I think I should have listed (I think I wanted to list) Ingenious instead.

Jäger und Sammler is really a Hey That's my Fish-ish game but actually you can also say Hey That's my Fish is a very Through the Desert-ish game (with a set-up phase where you place your leaders and a play phase that would be more obviously TtD-like if you placed a camel on each tile your penguin moves to... . But in Jäger und Sammler you move to neighbouring tiles and others can't move on them so if you replaced picking up tiles with placing camels this one really wouldn't be far). It really feels something like Through the Desert: the set collection family game.

Genesis is a really simple game with placement of 2 tiles each turn, trying to make advantage of others' tiles placed, blocking and expanding and finally having an influence on when to end the game. The scoring is rather simple but tricky as the largest area scores triple and the other 3 color's largest area scores double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.