Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
I started my own boardgaming blog in november and now it has gotten a little attention slowly, so I was wondering, since you all have been and done all thing already - what should be in a good blog?
So far I did it only in Estonian, and now I went into English as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That depends on what kind of blog you want. The motivation for creating a blog should be selfish. Write about whatever you want or whatever you feel to be important and if anyone else out there finds it interesting, they'll come back. Don't try to make your blog what everyone else wants, but what YOU want.

I don't hate myself, nor am I depressed or anything, but I never really saw the point to blogs. I know what I like and what I think. I don't need to type it out for archival purposes. Only close friends of mine and family should care about my opinion and they're in close enough contact with me in the real world to ask my opinion when they want it.

Kinda the reason why I don't write reviews or session reports. Folks can get the facts of a game from plenty of other folks, my opinion is biased and subjective, thus no worth to many, and if I felt like entertaining others with my opinion or thoughts, I'd become a philosopher, comedian, pundit or whatever and get paid to do it.

Different strokes for different folks though. Best of luck Raiko, just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
hskrfn822 wrote:
I never really saw the point to blogs.

Me either.

Quote:
Kinda the reason why I don't write reviews or session reports.

Some people do that because it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
I never really saw the point to blogs.

Me either.

Add me in there as well. And I've tried two blogs, but they've both failed miserably. However my wife does do a blog about our family, just an update on what is going on in our lives, and it's just for family whom we don't see very often.

Quote:
Quote:

Well as was said, different strokes. As to the OP's original question, whatever you want in a gaming blog. I've never been to a gaming blog, so i honestly don't know what you should put.

I guess if I was doing a gaming blog, I would write up reports of your game nights, who won/lost, interesting developments, testing out new games. What your feelings on playing settlers for the 742nd time, is it still a viable game. Where do you see the gaming industry going, is it good or bad. What do you hope to see in future gaming, what types of games would YOU like to see. Have you ever tried making your own board game. What would it be, how would you go about it.

If you want to push the envelope, do a blog about creating a game and getting it published (that would be quite an ordeal, but worthy of an attempt)

All that is good, it depends again on what you want to write about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Da Debil wrote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy creative writing, but find reviews and session reports to be tedious work. I'd get enjoyment knowing others enjoyed it, but since nobody's outright asked me to, I don't. Tell me, do often find yourself thinking "You know what this site is missing, reviews and session reports from Brian Gomez." I'm guessing no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I write a blog (it's a creative outlet--when you know you'll never be a publuished author, it certainly scratches the writing itch) about various things*, and I occasionally write about board games, perhaps two or three times a month. (Probably the fact that I don't write about it often makes those particular posts more popular--the general readership is interested in this niche hobby, but they wouldn't want to read about it every day.)

What works for me may not work for you, though, since my blog is not primarily a boardgaming blog. But here is what *I* think is interesting, and what seems to be popular:

*If you're looking to bring people in to the hobby, make sure you write some low-level content for beginners. I actually find this to be the most fun to write, because any of us that have been playing for a while will be more or less experts; I think it's fun to point out why, say, Settlers of Catan is better than Monopoly.
*If your blog is primarily a boardgaming blog, you almost *have* to have some sort of review content. It may not need to be extensive or long, but if you find them tedious to write, you need to make them exciting to write, because people expect it and it's one of the best ways to gain readership. Because if you find it boring to write, it's going to be boring to read.
*Just because it's about boardgaming doesn't mean it has to all be about board games. Social interaction with players, new developments in the industry, the frustrations of organizing a game night--these are all legit, and don't necessarily have anything to do directly with board games. Personally, I would love to hear about the culture of Estonia from a day-to-day perspective, so a session report that includes stuff like food habits, transportation, social mores, etc. that seems boring to you would be endlessly fascinating to me.

I realize this may be someone of a challenge if you're writing in a second language (which, BTW, I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything, so I think you're good to go), but hopefully it helps.

*Go Vote Now on the worst events of 2010! [/shill]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.