Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnold Daly
United States
Harrisburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This being my first block wargame,I was wondering what are some storage tips or recommendations for a noob like myself?I spoke with one other person already aout it but I will like some other ideas.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use baggies. Organizing them for fast set up and tear down is the key. For Ancients, I used one bag for each unit type, regardless of army. That way set up is fast, as it is easy to determine army by block color.

Drawback is that there are now so many armies, that it takes one box for all foot units, one for all the other baggies, one for the board rules and scenarios, plus one more for the Epic components. One final box has the components that are not used, like spare blocks and stickers, scenarios that have been undated, and the original board.

I haven't decided on how I'm going to handle this one. May use separate baggies for Armies, with one bag for each level of units, as defined on page 6.

I am likely to organize so that I need only the base set, plus whichever expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well fortunately there is already a very similar product on the market which provides a treasure trove of storage ideas. Remember that these new blocks are 2mm larger so it may alter some of the older solutions.

Here are some links from the forums over there for easy indexing:

Best storage solution?

Storage with the Third Edition mounted mapboard

Organize your Armies or: How I learned to manage chaos

I'm very partial to the final thread which uses foam really effectively, creating a very elegant and functional storage plan.

I have two concerns when it comes to storage. First, a speedy setup is paramount. I've used Plano contains but sometimes it was a little irritating to get my fingers in the contains of they were already full of blocks. I've done the bag thing in the past as well, which actually worked much better than I thought it would. Secondly, I store my games vertically and like the boxes to close, so the solution has to be compact. I've got a fully set of minis (14 races) for TI:3 as well as a fully set of painted figs for The Napoleonic Wars and each pimped out game fits in the original box, with the lid shut all the way down.

Edit:

If you look at this image you may wonder how you get the army holders out of the box. I have a very simple solution from my crafty girlfriend and our years of Titan play. Buy a broad ribbon (like a holiday ribbon) about twice as long as the box is wide. Before you place anything in the box put the ribbon in the box first. Then stack everything on top of it with the heavy board on the bottom. When you are ready to pull out the game, simply grab the ends of the ribbon and pull vertically. It will all come out effortlessly, no more destroying your boxes by wedging your fingers in the gap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZipLock Baggies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use ziploc bags as well, and I sort my blocks according to army and often put more than one unit type in each bag, if that unit type doesn't have many blocks, although I also use different bag formats, cavalry blocks typically use the larger bags. Each bag is affixed with labels, and each label is marked with a coloured pen matching the colour of the blocks for easy recognition. I also write with a black pen the unit types intended for each bag and the number of blocks that belongs to each unit group, this makes sure I never lose any blocks when the game is put away.

When I eventually purchase C&C:N I will also have to write how many blocks every unit is composed of, because unlike C&C:A the numbers vary according to type and nationality. For instance, if I was label a bag of British Line Infantry, I would write "B, Line Infantry/LI 36/4" and then add a broad red line at the top, or in the case of French Heavy Cavalry, I'd write "F, Heavy Cav./HC 8/4" and put a blue line on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
ZipLock Baggies

Absolutely. The best thought and elegant storing system will be beaten by a next expansion adding a few blocks to one of the existing armies...
angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Valdes-Lora
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Baggies here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used baggies, but cheated a bit as I describe here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/442115/easy-storage-solu...

Since I turned a copy of the manual page listing blocks into labels for each of the bags.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baggies seem to work well.

Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

had some nice ones that he got from Staples. Good price, and they have a white area on the front so you can mark the unit types on the bag with a Sharpie. Can't remember what he said the price was, but they were quite reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards and Bits sell large packets of ziploc bags at reasonable prices.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziplock baggies are best, I went to walmart and found this... but it wont fit in the box. $2 per box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be a baggie naysayer. I tried baggies for a bit but it was a nightmare trying to find the right armies in a sea of plastic ziplock (come on McGowan, can't you distinguish the infantry a LITTLE bit more from one another?).

Plano boxes are the way to go, IMHO. You can organize the armies in them so it's easy to find the right units quickly, and it's a piece of cake to simply dump the blocks back in after you're done (it can take a while to hunt down the right plastic baggie).

I have C&C:A along with two expansions. I packed all the boards, scenario booklets, and reference cards in one box, and then the armies in two large Plano boxes. So rather than cart around three boxes full of plastic baggies, I have a single box and two easy-to-carry cases.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own, as they say.

I've got 2 of the plastic boxes shown above for my CCA. They both fit in the CCA box and it is nice that I can hand someone an army for them to find what they are looking for.

That said, it's a pain and slow to dig the units individually out of those small compartments and I'm about to go to bags. I have no intention of having individual bags for everything but putting like units--but easily distinguishable from each other--is my goal.

The plano boxes look nice but I've seen fast bags in action for setup and tear down and it sure seems easier to go with a smartly organized bag storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
I have to be a baggie naysayer. I tried baggies for a bit but it was a nightmare trying to find the right armies in a sea of plastic ziplock (come on McGowan, can't you distinguish the infantry a LITTLE bit more from one another?).

Why don't you try labelling them (as my example above)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
derrickec wrote:

Why don't you try labelling them (as my example above)

B>

Labeling isn't a bad idea, but I'm already quite happy with my Plano boxes. The presentation of pulling out nicely organized storage containers also trumps opening up a box and seeing a bunch of baggies, but that's more of an aesthetic thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plano boxes, 1 per army. I label a piece of paper on the inside of the lid with what units are where. Works great.

I started with everything in baggies. Got irritating pretty quickly.

I don't care about everything fitting into the box. I have C&C:A & now C&C:N armies lined up on a shelf in their Plano boxes. I keep all the rest of the stuff in a game box - board, dice, booklets, etc. If I know which scenario I'm going to play, I can grab 1 box & 2 Planos & go. If I don't, I can throw the box (now boxes) in my tote bag, then put all the Planos in one of those reusable shopping bags & go. No problem either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for baggies for block storage.

For the Napolenics game, I have three ziplocks for each army. All the foot goes in one bag, the Horse in another, the artillery and leaders in a third. Spare blocks, dice, and terrain each have their own as well.

Set up is always the hard part but cleanup is very easy: For each army, sort by shape (foot, horse, arty and leaders) and scoop into their bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the $2 boxes referenced above from Walmart and was able to fit all blocks from the CC:N base game into 2 of them. They fit perfectly in the original box with all the components. I'm very happy with this storage method for now, but we'll have to see how it holds up after a few expansions. I have all the British and Portuguese units in 1 box. With only 12 compartments I wasn't able to sort as fully as I would have liked but they do all fit. I made guides for what's in each compartment to stick to the inside lid of the box. The French units all easily fit in the other box with decent sorting along with the 8 dice. LMK if anyone wants to see pics.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaketag wrote:
LMK if anyone wants to see pics.

Tom

Yes, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

I got an idea yesterday about storage, after finishing 4th game and using "baggies" as you do guys.
As I used to do paper stuff, when I was kid, and now I have some simple computer skills, using InkScape, Gimp and older scanner, I managed to come up with idea of putting "dead guys after battle" into coffins to have some rest.

Here are some pictures of "final work in progress". I still have to cut and glue 3 coffins. Which are already done - in terms of design and prototyping.

To have some bigger picture of how it might look in box:

I'll post schemas of how to build it after I am finished, if there will be anyone who will want them.
PS: It is all just paper and glue

Cheers,
Mich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea, if anyone has seen this, but I have completed boxes and I am happily using them. It seems to me, that I can put into base game box another army. There's plenty of space

You can download 103MB zip file with all the pdf files needed to download, print, fold, glue and use from my dropbox here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Seems like it's handy and classy. I like it very much, although I'll probably stick with foam as I've started like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
I had everything in little plano boxes but it became a pain to pull the blocks out of them and an even bigger pain to put them all back.

I played C&C Ancients with a friend of mine that used the Ziplock Half Sandwich bags and right after we finished playing I rushed to the supermarket bought out their stock and put all my blocks for Ancients and Napoleonics in them. Been clean livin since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:
I had everything in little plano boxes but it became a pain to pull the blocks out of them and an even bigger pain to put them all back.

I played C&C Ancients with a friend of mine that used the Ziplock Half Sandwich bags and right after we finished playing I rushed to the supermarket bought out their stock and put all my blocks for Ancients and Napoleonics in them. Been clean livin since then.

I've been using the foam trays for a couple years but I'm thinking about switching to bags. I haven't made boards for the Austrians yet and the bags seem to work really well--nice and speedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

This is a system that I have designed for storing Commands and Colors pieces. It consists of a drawer sleeve with a clear perspex top and a choice of 4 drawers designed to hold the pieces for either the Napoleonic or Ancients version of the game.

Their is also a holder for the cards and hex terrain.

Everything fits in the original box, and the pieces will stay in place in the drawers if you store the box on it's side on a bookshelf.

Here's a link for further details : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?Ob...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.