Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I posted this in the recommendations, but I figured it would be good here too...

I was curious, if you had to introduce people to railways of the world, what map would you select in each occasion? Which one wouldn't you select?

Poll
1. BEST introductory map for each occasion?
  Mexico Mexico w/ Artscow deck Eastern US Western US East + West US England and Wales (basic game) Europe
2 players (intro game with the wife (one shaky on the rules trying to teach it))
2 players (with one knowing the rules)
3 players (with one knowing the rules)
4 players (with one knowing the rules)
5 players (with one knowing the rules)
6 players (with one knowing the rules)
2. WORST introductory map for each occasion?
  Mexico Mexico w/ Artscow deck Eastern US Western US East + West US England and Wales (basic game) Europe
2 players (intro game with the wife (one shaky on the rules trying to teach it))
2 players (with one knowing the rules)
3 players (with one knowing the rules)
4 players (with one knowing the rules)
5 players (with one knowing the rules)
6 players (with one knowing the rules)
      20 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
While Mexico is designed for fewer players, I have found it is a little more challenging, similar to the Eurpoe map. Whenever possible, I will teach people using the England map since you can get yourself setup with much less capital investment, meaning fewer bonds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't even want to play Mexico without the Artscow cards. Not playing with the cards "simplifies" the game, but it also creates significantly less opportunity to make money, which makes the game feel tight & restrictive.

I can't imagine trying to play with more than 3 on the Mexico map. Way too crowded.

Only one play on England/Wales, but it seems like 3-4 would be about the cap.

Eastern U.S. with less than 5 feels too open, like I'm playing a solo game (4 is probably okay, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written it before, and I will write it again: Mexico is not an introductory map, even with the Artscow deck.

Too many mountains and rivers. The only thing it has going for it is its small size, but that does not compensate for the fact that it is just too rough for showing to new players, especially those who need to be eased into the game. It's hard enough to evaluate the cost of things, but those extra dollars spent on mountains and rivers quickly add up to debt, which is not fun.

Don't get me wrong, Mexico with the Artscow deck isn't bad... it's just not introductory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Datharaur wrote:
I've written it before, and I will write it again: Mexico is not an introductory map, even with the Artscow deck.

Too many mountains and rivers. The only thing it has going for it is its small size, but that does not compensate for the fact that it is just too rough for showing to new players, especially those who need to be eased into the game. It's hard enough to evaluate the cost of things, but those extra dollars spent on mountains and rivers quickly add up to debt, which is not fun.

Don't get me wrong, Mexico with the Artscow deck isn't bad... it's just not introductory.

I really like having done this thread, because I'm getting SO SO SO very much more out of this than the statistics and what I can pull from geekbuddies...

So far what I've got
1.) That spike for 4 players on Europe is neat.
2.) Mexico works for 2-3 players, but it gets ugly very quickly with the mountains. It can be a bit dissuasive for n00bs.
3.) Eastern + western US is NOT a good introductory map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Datharaur wrote:

Exactly - Mexico with the Artscow deck is like the Europe map scaled down fo 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.