Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Roberts
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
The Gospel of John: Family Board Game, as one might assume, is aimed towards a Christian audience.

The game includes many colourful bits:
150 scoring tokens
92 full coloured event cards
12 interlocking tiles (comprising the game board)
1 playing piece depicting Jesus
6 follower pawns

**(although the names of the pawns are not given in game, we have attribued names to the pieces so as to allow players to keep track of their pawns better [please note, we are aware of the errors of calling these all followers of Christ, but we are free to do as we please ): Martha, Mary Magdalene, Virgin Mary, John the Baptist, Pontius Pilate, and Peter)**

The object of the game is quite simple, collect the most tokens (which appear to be marked on one side with a baptismal dove) and have on reserve the most tokens when Jesus completes his jouney across the 92 tiled board.

The game plays through a combination of dice rolling and "move ahead" tokens and cards.

On any turn, a player first decides how many spaces the Jesus piece may move (either 1, 2 or 3) attempting to have Jesus land on any of the numbered spaces in order to obtain cards (more on the cards later).

A player then decides whether to use one of the baptismal tokens in order to "purchase" a dice role for his pawn 9this is the "price" of following Jesus! get it?). The pawn then moves the corrosponding number of spaces.

All this is fine and dandy (assuming you don't like gameplay), but the cards are what make this an actual game.

Each card contains a different bit of information, or a quote from scripture, as well as a task or a bonus. Some cards may say "give 7 tokens to any players within one board space of Jesus" (this is hard to do because Jesus moves 1-3 spaces for each player turn, so in a 4 person game, Jesus may move 3-9 spaces before your next turn comes around). One card says "recite the words of John 1:1 as best you can. the other players will judge how well you did. For each player that believed you did well, take one token from the token pool." Other cards say "take one token or move X spaces forward".

Gameplay continues until Jesus reaches the 92 square, where then everyone counts up the tokens they have accumulated, and a winner is declared.

The basis of the game is not a mad dash for the finish line, but a "journey" through a section of scripture. The game is used as a basis in order to get people interested in learning about the Book of John, while using trivia as a method of learning key facts about Jesus life as depicted in the John Gospel.

This game would not be recommended for most people just looking for a fun time, but if you do hapen to have a few people with a genuine interest in scripture, a high interest in group interaction, and a low interst in heavy competition, then this game would be a recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Roberts
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Re:User Review
Oborro (#460308),

I have been contacted by the designer of the game, and he brough to my attention some inacuracies in my description of the game. After reading wwhat he had to say, and reviewing the instructions, it became quite aware that I was indeed misinformed as to how a turn was to play out...

In order to remedy this, I am simply going to cut and paste, I hope He doesn't mind

" A player has two moves on their turn:

1) Move the Jesus pawn a choice of 1, 2, or 3 spaces (free choice) The pawn does not necessarily have to land on a dove space, but most likely in the first playing players will try to land on a dove space. The interesting thing happens on subsequent playings of the game. As players get to know some of the cards their choices become more complex as they may wish to avoid some of the dove spaces or land on them depending on the possible outcome and the position of the other players on the board.

2) Move your own playing pawn (or not if you so wish) If you do move your own pawn it will cost you one of your tokens to pay for the move. The object here is to demonstrate that there is a cost to following the path of Jesus but by staying close to the path it will have it's rewards. If you pay one token you may move forward, 1,2,3,4,5, or 6 spaces, (free choice). I included the die (to be used once only in the game); the die is only used when the soldiers cast lots for Christ's clothes. The object is to stay as close to Jesus as you can, to follow his path. You can of course move ahead of jesus but this is not a good plan, as you will find out, for you cannot move backwards and must wait for Jesus to catch up with you. You can also save your tokens and not move ahead..this is also not a good plan as the greater reward is had by staying close to the path of Jesus."
Terry Miller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Miller
United States
Newport
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re:User Review
Thankyou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Lopes
msg tools
I'm a little confused about the moving of Jesus' followers. Are they allowed to play the cards? What are moving the followers important? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.