Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rule under movement:
Quote:
A unit may only move off the battlefield's baseline edges when explicitly allowed by the scenario's battle notes.

But no battle notes mention any baseline rules.

I would assume this rule has been removed from the game and should be ignored.

Am I right or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may refer to scenarios that the author has created but not yet published. That's my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. River Coa does have special rules regarding units leaving the baseline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The River Coa rule applies only to the bridge hex. The rule in question would mean that the 6 French unis on the baseline could never move. And that is just this scenario.

The rule in question states that no unit may move off the baseline unless explicitly allowed by the Battle Notes. Since all scenarios have some units set up on at least one of the baselines, and there are no rules in the battle notes except for the one hex mentioned, then either no unit set up on the baseline in any scenario, or retreated to any baseline hex would be able to move.

This is an obvious mistake, and it should be noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is no unit may leave the map from the baselinr hexes unless a scenario specifically allows it.

That's how I took it any way, nothing else made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
The River Coa rule applies only to the bridge hex. The rule in question would mean that the 6 French unis on the baseline could never move. And that is just this scenario.

The rule in question states that no unit may move off the baseline unless explicitly allowed by the Battle Notes. Since all scenarios have some units set up on at least one of the baselines, and there are no rules in the battle notes except for the one hex mentioned, then either no unit set up on the baseline in any scenario, or retreated to any baseline hex would be able to move.

This is an obvious mistake, and it should be noted.

I believe this means no units can exit the board from the baseline. Not that they are permanently pinned down from moving forward. This is a common rule in the C&C games. But some scenarios across the different specifically allow units moving off the board on the opponent's baseline.

The rule you quote doesn't say "baseline hex" but instead "baseline edge."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:
I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is no unit may leave the map from the baselinr hexes unless a scenario specifically allows it.

That's how I took it any way, nothing else made sense.

OK. That makes sense.

As does the "edges" argument in the next post.

So that's how I would have played it, anyway.

But it does leave an undefined term. Better to say that no unit may move off the board unless there is something in the Battle Notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
But it does leave an undifined term. Better to say that no unit may move off the board unless there is something in the Battle Notes.

Agreed. For example, the same rule is in Battlelore:

BattleLore wrote:
A unit may never move onto any of the dimmed half hexes that border the battlefield. A unit may only move off the battlefield’s edges when explicitly allowed to by the adventure’s battle notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.