Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviewer Synopsis:
In Thurn and Taxis you are creating postal routes throughout Germany, and to paraphrase an older song, you will have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them, while playing this game. People will be constantly trying to rearrange the cards to those that they need, or to prevent you from expanding your route, you will have to know when to stop a route in order to score, and keep an eye on your rival's routes to try and prevent them from scoring.

Mechanics

In Thurn and Taxis you draw cards, and play cards to expand your routes, or you clear the board and draw new cards into it so either help you or try and hinder your opponents.
8 of 10

Game Play
Turns move around the board trying to collect cards (cities) to add to their routes, creating longer routes allow for the opportunity to score more points as well as collect the next new carriage if you have enough cities in your route.
8 of 10

Art and Design
The Board is drawn up to represent different provinces in Germany, and neighboring countries, while the city cards are drawn in Black and White to give them an older feel, they are well drawn city cards. The houses are carved wooden houses that stack easily when waiting on those lost in thought, oops I mean the people that are deep thinkers when playing, and their coloration are nice bright vibrant colors allowing you to easily tell them apart. The one downside to the game is the province colors can get to be hard to tell apart typically when you get into the greens, Stuttgart, Ulm, and Sigmengeran.
9 of 10

Ending
The game comes to an end when of of two things occur, you either, A. run out of houses to place causing the game to end; or B. When someone collects the Seven city carriage. The thing that I loved the most about the game was the fact that after it comes to an end the players following the player that ended the game still get to take their turn in order to try and score one last time before points are totaled.
9 of 10

Overall Happiness

Overall, this is a nice game to pull off the shelf, it requires you to try and turn on your brain and think strategy. The debate that we had the other night while playing was if it's possible to think ahead when playing, and it was proven to be possible, as the winner was the one drawing cards for 5 turns ahead.
9 of 10

Overall Rating

8.6 of 10
http://boardgamereview.webs.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you're trying to really do a lot of reviews, but this is a pretty borderline effort.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a much easier way to earn geekgold: donate to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

I think submitting a bunch of pictures of girls holding game boxes containing cats would be far easier than actual money. Sadly.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

1.3 GG awarded for this bordering "review" makes it worth little more than a photo and less than two.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

In all honesty, I would still write the reviews if no geek gold was awarded,

Secondly, if someone doesn't like someones review style the answer is simple, don't read them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
fardoche wrote:

Secondly, if someone doesn't like someones review style the answer is simple, don't read them.

I was just pulling your leg... no biggie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:

Perhaps they should stay on your personal blog then? Perhaps you could just put the conclusion paragraph in your game comments instead.
Quote:

I would hesitate to suggest it has a style.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I like all types and styles of reviews. Pay no attention to the elitists. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slate43 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I like all types and styles of reviews. Pay no attention to the elitists. :shake:

I don't think that word is usually used to characterise people who suggest that reviews should include a 'review' of some kind.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
slate43 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I like all types and styles of reviews. Pay no attention to the elitists. shake

I don't think that word is usually used to characterise people who suggest that reviews should include a 'review' of some kind.

B>

Mechanics was just a explanation rather than a review. Same with gameplay. The last three sections did review the game if only briefly. So I think this does qualify as a review as a whole.

If the OP could explain why he gave the Mechanics and Gameplay 8 out of 10, that would probably help readers who don't wish to read 2000+ words about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
Reviewer Synopsis:The debate that we had the other night while playing was if it's possible to think ahead when playing, and it was proven to be possible, as the winner was the one drawing cards for 5 turns ahead.

Yes, there is a really nice balance between luck and strategy. If you decide that your third route should be five cities long and include Insbruck-Salzburg, you might be able to collect them earlier on, reducing the luck when you actually need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
slate43 wrote:

B>

You are right. I think a better description of your comments would be "arrogant" in tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
slate43 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I like all types and styles of reviews. Pay no attention to the elitists. :shake:

B>

Mechanics was just a explanation rather than a review. Same with gameplay. The last three sections did review the game if only briefly. So I think this does qualify as a review as a whole.

If the OP could explain why he gave the Mechanics and Gameplay 8 out of 10, that would probably help readers who don't wish to read 2000+ words about the game.

Thank you for the constructive criticism, when I go to write a review later in the week, I will make sure to try and fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if you wanted, you could even mention the key mechanic of the game. Or not. Was this going to be a review?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like what gets accepted as a review then please participate in GeekMod and contribute to the decision making. Derailing a review thread is not an appropriate way to voice this opinion. Please refrain from continuing that tangential discussion here.

Thanks.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tania Pouli
France
Paimpont
Ille-et-Vilaine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a useful review/summary/whatever you want to name it so thanks! I'm trying to expand my games collection so being able to learn some basic things about games without reading whole essays is occasionally quite practical

Everything has its place..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.