Subject: Assassin in a two-player takeover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When two players are trying to take over the same faction, there is a special procedure where the player on #2 gets to attempt to take over first, and then the player on #1 can essentially take over from #2 before he claims victory. (assuming I understand the base game rules correctly.)

So then, my question is, can the player on #1 use an assassin on #2's newly played set? (assuming a set of greater than two cards)

Would the player on #2 then have to discard one more card from the newly played set before returning whatever is left to their hand, as per the rules for #1 beating #2.

I'm thinking this is the case, but the rules are not very clear on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am strongly inclined to agree with your assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Eller-Bilz
Germany
Miltenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi Nathan,
indeed this is a special case, but you are right. The rules do not solve it clearly....

The Assassin can be used on the new played set of player #2 and yes, it will be an extra card to be gone for player #2. This may be powerful, but as my colleague right next to me mentioned: "This is why you need to be on field 1 for faction takeovers, so no one can be on your back!"

Enjoy the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is done in the assassin example on page 4 of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your right. Apparently I had completely skipped over that example. Though to be fair, I don't usually expect examples to explain something that otherwise isn't even mentioned in the rules.

Anyways, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first play with the expansion tonight and this very situation came up in the very last round of the game. It was the difference between having a shot at victory or licking my wounds. I succeeded at the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.