Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Twilight Struggle is back to number one again today.

8.193 - Twilight Struggle
8.189 - Puerto Rico
8.186 - Agricola

What will tomorrow bring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Royalflush wrote:

8.189 - Puerto Rico
8.186 - Agricola

Hopefully, something that has a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Royalflush wrote:

8.189 - Puerto Rico
8.186 - Agricola

I hope it isn't a case of sniping each others ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Royalflush wrote:

8.189 - Puerto Rico
8.186 - Agricola

Until the spread is in the tenths of a point, instead of seven thousandths, it doesn't matter that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played all three and in my opinion while Twilight Struggle is a good game, it's not in the same class as the other two - but of course that's just one man's opinion. I'm obviously going to be disagreed with here.

I really think this should be in the wargame category. One of the reasons for its' high rating is that wargames tend to be rated higher - not sure why this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:

One of the reasons for its' high rating is that wargames tend to be rated higher - not sure why this is.

I could answer that for your pretty easily, but you probably wouldn't agree with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, why do I have the feeling if TS were originally published by Alea or Rio Grande there wouldn't be (as) many people complaining that TS has reached or should be number one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight exaggeration (and please take it for the tongue-in-cheek comment it is), but sometimes I wonder how highly people would rate a box of turds if it had the Rio Grande logo on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As high as Dragonriders? No one rates RGG high by default. FFG is another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:
A slight exaggeration (and please take it for the tongue-in-cheek comment it is), but sometimes I wonder how highly people would rate a box of turds if it had the Rio Grande logo on it.

Well they wouldn't publish a box of turds unless there was a great game in there somewhere!

Just be careful about who the designer is.

And look out for expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:

Apparently Jay Tummelson (of Rio Grande Games) believes a game with a GMT Games logo contains a box of turds because he rated TS a 2 this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
nightglider1 wrote:

Apparently Jay Tummelson (of Rio Grande Games) believes a game with a GMT Games logo contains a box of turds because he rated TS a 2 this month.

LOL. laugh

Maybe designers/publishers should recuse themselves from game ratings and let us fanboys fight it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
batdog wrote:

At least Mark Herman removed his inexplicable, uncommented '1' rating. A bit rough to totally slag a game that thanks you by name in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:

If you look closely at its ratings, you can see that he really has a strong preference for games edited by Rio Grande.

Dispite the lack of comments, he's in 145 geekbudies lists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rated 650 games. This is one of the only two that I have given a 10 (after the deluxe edition came out and fixed some issues).

It really deserves to be in one of the top positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nigel robinson
United Kingdom
stoke-on-trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree, i enjoy many types of games and own in excess of 100,i spend so much time at "game" shops that i become a permanent fixture so when i was asked to play this i jumped at the chance.

It was a gem in the top 10 on BGG why wouldn't i, after the amost 3 hours playing i vowed to NEVER see this game again, i can honestly say i have never been so bored and disinterested in my life.

Now before you all have a go, i firmly believe in "each to their own" and for some this is the best thing ever! but for me and i suspect many others its far too slow paced, VERY limiting as its purely 2 player and its subject matter is well.... dated.

it is a dis-service to BGG to have this as number one as i suspect many people have been manipulating the ratings to getit there. Honestly i believe Aricola is the BEST game by far, with puerto rico a close runner up for purity of design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
njr5 wrote:
its subject matter is well.... dated.

As opposed to Puerto Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:

it is a dis-service to BGG to have this as number one as i suspect many people have been manipulating the ratings to getit there. Honestly i believe Aricola is the BEST game by far, with puerto rico a close runner up for purity of design.

So, 7,000 people have conspired to manipulate a rating? That is... amusing.

I'd venture to say if there is any truth to your statement at all, then the converse must be true. That many have conspired to knock it OUT of its place.

It is far more likely that there may be a remote and tiny possibility that this perhaps, may possibly, perchance, be a decent game that a lot of people like? Wait, who am I kidding?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:
i suspect many people have been manipulating the ratings to getit there.

Yep, I manipulated mine right up to 10 when I realised this was one of the very best board game designs I've ever come across. Oh, wait a minute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:

Whereas I find Agricola to be the only game I don't like in the top 10. How anyone could consider such a poorly-balancd game to be #1-worthy, I do not understand. To each their own, indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:
it is a dis-service to BGG to have this as number one as i suspect many people have been manipulating the ratings to get it there.

And so, this is the reason for which you rated this game thrice this month?

Edit: Nigel has corrected the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. How do you even rate a game more than once - and why?

This whole thread is hilarious. Rating TS #1 is a disservice? It just happens that of the people that happen to have an account at BGG and bother to rate games - this is the highest rated game at this moment of time. The rating in itself has absolutely no purpose or motive or agenda it is just a number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of trolling in these threads is amazing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nigel robinson
United Kingdom
stoke-on-trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That's funny. How do you even rate a game more than once - and why?"

In all honesty by accident and by using a subpar browser, i rated the game on my ipod touch using safari and it glitched/froze when i edited my rating resulting in multiples. You will note i have since corrected that and have only one (1) rating for TS.

As to puerto rico being a dated subject matter for a boardgame, to a degree it is however the theme on said game is only lightly applied (as wth most euros) and the mechanics shine through as IMHO excellent.

I also reject the comment that i am "trolling" in fact i quite clearly stated my personal opinion to which i am allowed, and provided commentary to explain it.

I do however standby my comment of TS being a dis-service to BGG, as it is less representative then the games currently rated at number 2 and 3.

I feel personally the highest rated games should be the ones we could recommend to gamers and non gamers alike as being good enough to break common misconceptions and scale with numbers of players, depict there subject matter well and are balanced.

(disclaimer i no way imply that TS is imbalanced)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I feel personally the highest rated games should be the ones we could recommend to gamers and non gamers alike as being good enough to break common misconceptions and scale with numbers of players, depict there subject matter well and are balanced.

Then they shouldn't be rankings at all, but instead be called a 'Beginners Gaming Guide' or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.