Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karol Davis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mb
I've tried to get my girlfriend into playing Dominion, but she doesn't like the 'group solitaire' feel of the game. So now the box is gathering dust on my shelf.

So I'm looking for a card game with a high level of player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for 2 player my wife and I really enjoy Battle Line and are looking forward to trying out Jaipur. Both feature mechanics where the choices you make with your cards directly effect the decisions your opponent should be making with theirs but feel somewhat unconfrontational making them appealing for couples play.

If you need it to scale a bit perhaps San Juan would be worthwhile as the action selection certainly has a direct effect on your opponents.

Good luck in your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Jaipur!
As far as card games go, what about Njet? (unless you're not looking for trick taking games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Court of the Medici is a great 2P card game that is all about interaction between the players. One of my 10's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason to limit yourself to a card game?

There are plenty of great two player card driven games our there:

Twilight Struggle
Campaign Manager 2008
1960: The Making of the President
Washington's War

If you have more than two players then take a look at these card games:

Bohnanza
Poo: The Card Game
Family Business
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars
Plays like a tactics game but with cards. Great game!

I can also second
Jaipur
Family Business

Court of the Medici is very good and plays like a classic game but it felt a little dry. Still an excellent game especially for the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars might be worth looking into. It's fun, inexpensive and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I bypassed Dominion and bought Intrigue when I went to introduce the game to my wife. I find that Intrigue has way more interaction than Dominion. It is one of my wife's favs.

Are you looking for a 2ply card game as one or two of the suggestions so far aren't all that great with 2plys.

Blue Moon is pretty good. If you get it definitely make sure you learn the rules back to front before teaching it though.

superblinky wrote:
I've tried to get my girlfriend into playing Dominion, but she doesn't like the 'group solitaire' feel of the game. So now the box is gathering dust on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider Glory to Rome or Innovation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 has a good level of interaction.

Genji is a game I enjoy with my significant other. She likes the romantic theme and competitive play.

Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck is a fast game with a fun theme.

Seppuku is a very interactive card game with really beautiful artwork. It is an independtly created game and can be purchased from The Game Crafters, here's the URL if you are interested;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/seppuku

There are also three expansions. My family really enjoys this game, especially with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GoSu or A Game of Thrones: The Card Gamemight work for you. Both allow for a lot of direct player interaction/confrontation.

I enjoy both with multiple players, and don't like them 1-1, but many people prefer them as 1-1 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rivard
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion - would be my TOP suggestion for you and it's extremely high rating here should further support my suggestion for you guys.

If not that, then maybe Race for the Galaxy with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Chaos Isle: Rise of The Creator is great and if you want direct conflict, try TactDecks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recomended Havana in another thread but I just can't praise this game enough.
Cold War: CIA vs KGB and Traders of Osaka are two games that also see alot of action at our table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
If not that, then maybe Race for the Galaxy with the expansions.

If she didn't like the "group solitaire" feel of Dominion, Race isn't the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis
Triumvirate
Court of the Medici
Battle Line
Blue Moon
Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Fugger kind of dry until you get into the theme, and then it stays dry.

Ebbe & Flut One of most mechanical/puzzle-like card games.

Vom Kap bis Kairo One of the best Adlung games.

Food Fight! On a lighter end of games - a lot of interaction, but light - self-promotional, but still fits the thread.

Jambo On a deeper end of the spectrum is Jambo which has a bunch of cars that affect the opponent.

As mentioned before Glory to Rome, but I found it was kind of solitaire. Roma - traded off for some reason, so I guess it didn't work out for my play group compared to others. Just played Organic soup, and it wasn't as deep as I thought it would be. Innovation seems like a good one to try if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
As mentioned before Glory to Rome, but I found it was kind of solitaire.

I feel that we're not playing the same game. To me, GtR is about watching what's in the pool, what will be in the pool, what clients your opponent has, what buildings they have, and selecting your lead to maximize your gain while minimizing your opponents' gains. That's aside from the direct confrontation of playing a legionary to take your opponent's cards (as well as their clients if you've built the Coliseum ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
As mentioned before Glory to Rome, but I found it was kind of solitaire.

I feel that we're not playing the same game. To me, GtR is about watching what's in the pool, what will be in the pool, what clients your opponent has, what buildings they have, and selecting your lead to maximize your gain while minimizing your opponents' gains. That's aside from the direct confrontation of playing a legionary to take your opponent's cards (as well as their clients if you've built the Coliseum ...)

You have all of that as well in Dominion. What cards are available? What are people buying? What have they already played?

Having to pay attention to what your opponent is doing doesn't lessen the solitary feel to game. There are direct attack cards in Dominion as well, but I still feel the solitaire aspect of it myself. Fortunately for me its not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
A really good interactive card game is Corunea. It is out of print but easy and inexpensive to acquire the cards from Europe. Amazing artwork adds to the theme. There is a good session report that will give you a good sense of the game if you want to check it out; Corunea session report

If the game proves interesting you can purchase the cards cheaply from LudikBazar in France;

http://www.ludikbazar.com/advanced_search_result.php?inc_sub...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superblinky wrote:

Hi,

My gf and I just played Dominion, we've only played it a few times I think we just find it......hmmm, well 'boring' in a word. Like you say there's not alot of player interaction.

Have you looked at Citadels ? We might give that a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been mentioned twice, but I would highly recomend Jaipur! It is a great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll step up and say it; Magic the Gathering. Depending on what decks you build / buy, you can control the complexity. It's crazy-expandable if you want and it's fat-packed with interraction. Most importantly, you DON'T have to collect it. Just buy a pre-built deck or two, or buy one of those "big box of commons / uncommons" deals at a convention for pennies a card. Lots of fun to be had if you don't get caught up in the collectible aspect of it.

Happy gaming,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.