Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am struggling to decide what game I want for Christmas. I have narrowed by list to 3. I think that I will like all 3 of these games so it is a hard pick. So here are some of the things I need to keep in mind with this decision...must be wife friendly, scales well for 2,3 and 4 players, and offers great re-playability.

Some of my wife's favs are Dominion, Thurns and Taxis, Endeavor, Stone Age, Tower of Babel and TTRE. Some of the games that I have tried to get my wife into have been duds are Taluva, Dungeon Lords, and Cuba. I can get her to play Small World but she won't request to play it.

I could be open to other suggestions, but right now these 3 games are at the top of my wish list.

thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
My own preference is Carson City, but wonder if there is too much direct conflict in the game for your group.

If this is a factor, my next preference might be Glen More, but Iadmit that 7 Wonders might have more replayability for you. I like Glen More a lot, but once a month might be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
7 Wonders would be the pick, but it looks pretty much out of stock already. As I am against people overcharging on ebay, I would say Glen More if she cant get it from an online store or a FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
My own preference is Carson City, but wonder if there is too much direct conflict in the game for your group.

If this is a factor, my next preference might be Glen More, but Iadmit that 7 Wonders might have more replayability for you. I like Glen More a lot, but once a month might be enough.

Direct conflict isn't really an issue as we have Intrigue and Seaside and typically th decks we end up using are heavy on the screw factor. The bigger issue with games like Taluva, Small World and Cuba is "getting" the game. I would say that my wife prefers light to medium games. Once she gets a game she is good to go, so the depth of the games isn't as much of an issue as how easy it is to pick up the basic gist of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
Canada
Vaughan
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i was going to say that your wife's favs seem to lean towards light games so carson city may be too heavy. Not that i know for sure since i've never played; just going by the weight value.

7 Wonders isn't hard to find around here... but that may be different for BC stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that Tower of Babel was a hit there. It is an often underappreciated gem of a game. Though it doesn't work for 2 players, it is great fun with more.

As for one of the 3 you mentioned...since you have worker placement games, Carson City might be a "scratch the same itch" sort of game.

7 wonders is light, might take it out of the running. haven't played Glen More, so you're on your own there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George J. Wendt
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This is my dog, Pothier, but everyone calls him Potes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be careful with 7 wonders. It didn't strike me as a game with great replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually traded Cuba for Tower of Babel and Livingstone. I loved Cuba, but as it never got any table time I didn't see the point of having it sit on the shelf. I knew that Livingstone would be a hit as what girl doesn't like gems, but I wasn't sure about Tower of Babel. I myself was a little suspect as when you see images of the game it really doesn't look like much but it has quickly become a fan fav around our place. I totally agree that it is an under-appreciated game. I wonder if the reason is that people don't give it a chance and see the underlying depth in the game.

ropearoni4 wrote:
I really like that Tower of Babel was a hit there. It is an often underappreciated gem of a game. Though it doesn't work for 2 players, it is great fun with more.

As for one of the 3 you mentioned...since you have worker placement games, Carson City might be a "scratch the same itch" sort of game.

7 wonders is light, might take it out of the running. haven't played Glen More, so you're on your own there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I actually traded Cuba for Tower of Babel and Livingstone. I loved Cuba, but as it never got any table time I didn't see the point of having it sit on the shelf. I knew that Livingstone would be a hit as what girl doesn't like gems, but I wasn't sure about Tower of Babel. I myself was a little suspect as when you see images of the game it really doesn't look like much but it has quickly become a fan fav around our place. I totally agree that it is an under-appreciated game. I wonder if the reason is that people don't give it a chance and see the underlying depth in the game.

Yes, that is exactly what happens, they won't give it a chance. They don't see how much of a game can be in just a simple card game (which is what it is), but the depth comes from the choices you make with the limited knowledge that you are given. The bland box and board are not the wow! factor when games have sooo much more color now-a-days.
I place it slightly under the Taj Mahjal as its depth and underlying "fun-factor". Both are card games with depth that you do not see unless you play it.

ropearoni4 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.