Popular Tags: [View All]
norman wood
United Kingdom
margate
kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hi all.
i was thinking about designing a game based on this years British General Election.
Can anyone recommed a book that has all the hard empirical data?
There is'nt that many on Amazon and I hope to hear from someone who has seen such an Election guide in the flesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'The British General Election of 2010' by Philip Cowley and Dennis Kavanagh has all the data and statistics you could possible need, and some good pointers as to what might be the important factors & events to simulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of mechanics, it may be useful to look at the PnP game First Past The Post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Watson
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or how about "Alice Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll - Humpty Dumpty seems the perfect role model for our current batch of politicians - making words mean whatever they want them to.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingedward wrote:
hi all.
i was thinking about designing a game based on this years British General Election.

Can anyone recommed a book that has all the hard empirical data?

There is'nt that many on Amazon and I hope to hear from someone who has seen such an Election guide in the flesh.

The Kavanagh book is good, for electoral background I recommend "British General Elections 1832-2001" by Peter Joyce. I used it in my game THE 2010 ELECTION. But "The Almanac of British Politics" by Byron Criddle and Robert Waller was very useful in earlier scenario design too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. One suggestion:

The back of the game should describe how wonderful the game is. But when you buy into it and open it up, you realise it's totally different to what it said on the box.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman wood
United Kingdom
margate
kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll get the Kavanagh book.
Thanks.

Charles,
your game is showing as costing 0.50 pounds.
is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingedward wrote:
I'll get the Kavanagh book.
Thanks.

Charles,
your game is showing as costing 0.50 pounds.
is that correct?

No, it's a fiver, I wonder if that is the lowest weight on the scale? It's just a pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.