Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally played my first game with two more friends, and they were a bit disappointed. Their main complaint is the playability with 3 people. They think (and I'm afraid I do too) that the game was not really designed for so few people.
In a 3P game, for example, there are 2 aliens and one human. Why is it, then, so important to keep our identity hidden if the human will know straight away who the aliens are? An essential part of the game is thus lost this way. The human player will just try to escape and will use all his cards, while the aliens will hunt the human. The game becomes a simple chasing game, no hidden identities, no hidden cards, very little strategy...

I am sure that the game will change greatly with 4 players or more, so I think it would be more appropriate to state that it is designed for 4-10 players.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silva Lorenzo
Italy
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game do it best in ore than 3 players, that's sure.

i suggest a variant for the 3 player game:

2 Human, 1 Alien
When the first Human die, is transformed in an Alien.
Try this way next time, it's more funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Silva, for your answer. We will try it that way and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Civez
Italy
flag msg tools
It's not so straightfoward: the human has only one advantage, and it's knowing the identities of the players.From the moment he reveals himself as a human, he's alone against the other two. If he can successfully bluff himself as an alien, he can gain time and also (if he's really good) "persuade" one of the aliens to attack and kill the other!!

Also, the "upper part / lower part of the map" algorithm is not so accurate: when you bluff, you may declare noise in ANY sector, so you can pretend to be in the other half of the map. The other players don't know for sure when you pick a red or a green card, so (again, if you're good) the principle of keeping hidden the identities for as long as possible holds (for the human).

The responsibilty for spoiling that part of the game is interely of the alien players: they could reveal themselves soon, by attacking in the fisrt gray sector they move, but this strategy will really make the game less funny (for everyone!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a very old thread and maybe no one looks at it anymore, but I had similar thoughts to those raised here. If any one with experience of the game does see this, what do you think of the idea that in a 3 player game you draw randomly from 2 humans and 2 aliens? So no one knows which there are two of. Would that work? I'm thinking the lone alien wouldn't want to prove they were alien by attacking in case they were actually the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to try a game like this, so, to answer my own question for anyone else who is curious - yes, this is a viable way to play 3 player (randomly deal roles from 2 humans and 2 aliens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Leon
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with two people and of course the alien always wins because they can travel twice as fast. You're right, I don't understand why it's important to keep identities a secret obviously with two-player you can't. So as I was reading the instructions I figured they would be two player instructions in the end of the book but there weren't. Unless I have an older edition? Looks like an interesting game, but is it possible to play with fewer than four people? I'm hoping I didn't get suckered into buying a $35 game that isn't thought out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls