Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving our first game, but some questions.

1. Can we dismiss units? E.g., suppose I draw three strength-1 units at game start. Could I dismiss one (presumably to build a fourth unit that might have higher strength)?

2. If a resource ability, like that on Currency, takes place in the city management phase, does it count as a city action? (I don't think it does, but just want to be sure.)

3. In combat, what if we keep making a new front, so that no one ever attacks? The battle is just resolved by comparing total strength points (including any bonuses)? Does the loser still pay loot?

4. Continuing #3: More importantly, does the loser lose ALL his figures on that square of the board (p. 25)? It seems odd to lose a figure when not a single shot was fired.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Ward

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
1. No

2. No

3. Yes. Yes.

4. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
sidward wrote:
1. No

2. No

3. Yes. Yes.

4. Yes.

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Loving our first game, but some questions.

1. Can we dismiss units? E.g., suppose I draw three strength-1 units at game start. Could I dismiss one (presumably to build a fourth unit that might have higher strength)?

Thanks!

On this topic, you know there is no limit to the number of unit cards you can have besides the number of cards in the game? Stacking limit only applies to figures in a square. Also what I like to do with my St 1 units is wound a like figure (or one you trump) then you die, and then (assuming they don't have a heal power) attack next time with a unit that trumps that is 1 strength less than your opponent's unit. This way you kill off a weak unit but it helps you kill a stronger one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I know there's no limit on the number of cards. I just wondered whether it might be advantageous to weed out weaker units and field a uniformly high-strength army. The rulebook itself mentions this -- that having too many cards can almost be as bad as too few, since you dilute your deck and draw less predictable hands. (Magic the Gathering players rarely go over the minimum deck size for fear that they're favored cards will come up less often.)

Still, now that I've played a bit more, I think too many is far better than two few. My daughter just wiped out my standing army, and I had to scramble to buy a couple new units with which to defend my cities. Even a couple lousy units might be enough to hold the city for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.